the Master: was he evil?

It's difficult to declare the Master to be evil simply because he's a misguided (or possibly insane) individual who genuinely believes he's found a way to save the post-apocalyptic world and wants to do his part in saving the world. The high speech option shows how much he genuinely believes in his solution and he's willing to admit his mistakes if shown proof of such failings like the Super Mutant autopsy holotape.
It makes him into a tragic extremist with good intentions; willing to find a way to keep life going in the post-apocalyptic world but naive in how to do so.

Once again, his problem is that he decided that his dominant race should be sterile and intimidating hulks with limited intelligence in general (though rare intelligent mutants like the Lieutenant would appear every now and again). His plan would have been doomed to fail in the long term so stopping him was the best option for the post-apocalyptic world.

He was insane. He even admits "it was madness. I see that now".

He clearly has multiple personalities evident by his changing voices.

The female voice represents compassion and sympathy.

The electronic voice represents logic.

And the male voice represents emotion/anger and occasionally Richard Grey's insanity.

I base this solely on which lines the voices were given but if you go back and talk to the master I'm sure you'll see What I'm talking about.

Or you just watch this video. (Hella spoilers of course)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cliche phrase, but it fits this sittuation well.

He would be evil if he had twirled his moustache and tied the Vault Dweller to a railway track. He committed heinous crimes but he didn't do it in the interest of harming humanity but in the interest of helping humanity, he's the typical sympathetic villain, not quite evil just a prick with too much conviction.

This question pops up every now and then.
My answer is no, he was misguided and naive at best.

I see The Master as average archetype of leftist-liberal politician. His methods were utterly wrong and evil, lacking any tact or diplomacy, forcing everyone to give up on the most essential part of themselves - the humanity itself. On the other side, his plans were purely utopian, with the bright and peaceful future for everyone without any religous, racial, or ideological differences. Was he evil? I don't know. Was the price for reaching his good intended goals acceptable? I don't think so, so I had to kill him.

Why are supermutant sterile, but not the deathclaw?

I supposed it's unanswered, and that genetical engineering is something that can be hazardous and don't always give you what you want, especially if all you do is dipping a living thing inside a tank with suspicious liquid, hoping for the best. The Master was too quick to decide to kill himself, maybe it was emotion who took over his reason? Sure his first batches are a failure, as they are doomed to go extinct, but few scientific researches are successful at the first try. And with failures you can go further, by understanding it, and correcting it, or looking for a new way. More, he should be thankful for the Vault Dweller, and the Brotherhood of Steel, for pointing out his error, so that he can improve his genetic research. Who knows in a few decades he could have found a technology that would not enabling his project of saving humanity, but also shapes the genome of all life forms exactly how he wishes to like a god.

This is what he could have found, if he was a bit more determined and lucky. With this, he wouldn't even need pure humans to further his ambitions. Fallout could have gone full biopunk.

He murdered people to get his way. It's why Marcus was so interested in Caesar because he saw how similar he was to the Master.

Hitler had "good intentions" too. He wanted to unite Europe under Germany because he believed they the Aryans were the superior race with a right to rule through might. There really isn't much difference between that and the Master creating beings strong enough to survive in the wasteland (and exterminating those seen as unfit to survive).

The guy's evil. Just because you understand someone doesn't suddenly right the wrongs of their crimes.

Last edited:
I don't know about evil but he certainly was retarded for choosing his "master race" to be a bunch of big green dudes who couldn't reproduce.

He didn't know that at the time, it only became clear after meeting the Chosen One.

I see The Master as average archetype of leftist-liberal politician. His methods were utterly wrong and evil, lacking any tact or diplomacy, forcing everyone to give up on the most essential part of themselves - the humanity itself. On the other side, his plans were purely utopian, with the bright and peaceful future for everyone without any religous, racial, or ideological differences. Was he evil? I don't know. Was the price for reaching his good intended goals acceptable? I don't think so, so I had to kill him.
Thanks for turning an entirely fictional character in to a strawman arguement against left-wingers and liberals. Real mature.
to be a bunch of big green dudes who couldn't reproduce.
In his defence, he didn't know they couldn't reproduce, and his technicians actively lied saying they could to avoid angering him.

Thanks for turning an entirely fictional character in to a strawman arguement against left-wingers and liberals. Real mature.
You're welcome! The credit goes towards Fallout developers though, I don't deserve it. It was Fallout core dev team who made Fallout a timeless classic not only by aesthetics or mechanics, but mainly by this very serious message delivered to any thoughtful player across the globe - do not trust your superiors or government blindly, you have to question their motives!

but mainly by this very serious message delivered to any thoughtful player across the globe - do not trust your superiors or government blindly, you have to question their motives!
I'm 99% sure that the original devs were not trying to make a political statement with there game. They were trying to make a cool sci fi dystopia turned post-apocalyptic, with a memorable lovecraftian style villain.

If you think its deep, or has some sort of secret message rammed in to it for "any thoughtful players" to find, I think you're looking too much in to it, and trying to find things that simply aren't there.

Back