The Original Fallout Games Deserve The Diablo 2: Resurrected Treatment

My GOG copy runs perfectly with no tweaks. In any case, fixes to keep things playable are fine, but those are not remaster territory.

That would be epic, they did a nice job improving on the original without breaking anything from what I could tell. That is my second favorite series after Fallout. I've always wanted to see what an RTS Fallout would be like.

It would be Fallout Tactics. ;D
Just kidding, sort of. That doesn't have unit production, though I'm not sure unit production and base building really suit a depopulated wasteland. Anyway, if there was an RTS, I assume it would look like a battle from Fallout Online.

My GOG copy runs perfectly with no tweaks. In any case, fixes to keep things playable are fine, but those are not remaster territory.

It would be Fallout Tactics. ;D
Just kidding, sort of. That doesn't have unit production, though I'm not sure unit production and base building really suit a depopulated wasteland. Anyway, if there was an RTS, I assume it would look like a battle from Fallout Online.

Yeah it would be awkward but I think it would be interesting depending on who made it. Never played Fallout Online. What does it run on?

Didn't the remaster of Diablo 2 sucked? It had a bunch of issues that the original didn't had.
No, it works fine.
It's Warcraft 3 Reforged that is a hot mess.

Also, I do not want to see them remastered because they're going to effectively retcon a bunch of shit. Oh this quest's dialogue is problematic, let's change that. Oh this location would look better with this stupid thing in it, let's add that that completely alters the location. Hey since we're updating the graphics and animations that means we can make ghouls run!

/gag

Fuck that, I don't trust them. Diablo 2 was a dumb hack n slash where the world didn't make much of a sense to begin with, it's fine to remaster that cause it's just a fun zugzug kinda game. But Fallout's art assets carry with them lore implications and I do not trust them to not fuck it all up.

It's Bethesda we're talking about here.

But Fallout's art assets carry with them lore implications and I do not trust them to not fuck it all up.

It's Bethesda we're talking about here.
It's quite tellling when fan assets don't fit in a mod, the particular style used in Fallout 1 and 2 is that unique.

It’s not crazy. Like if done right. BG3 sold fucking well for an isometric game so at least they know a modern market for it is now not crazy.

Fallout tv show blew up fallout again and waiting over a decade isn’t going to be an option for the money machine. A remaster could possibly work for them and quicker too pump out. But let’s be honest. It will probably just be fallout 3 remaster.

... I don’t see how they could remaster the game without touching the talking heads, it would be out of place. You’d also get newer sprites such as the Fallout 4 10mm...

Just think Star Wars Special Edition tomfoolery, and then crank it up by a factor of 50. :) Let's not George Lucas the beloved Fallout isometric games, please.

I just started yet another playthrough of F1 because a friend of mine (serious fan of F3 actually) is about to play it and I wanted to make sure the mods work on Windows 11[*]. The last thing F1-2 need is to be touched by modern game producers and their notes.

[edit] I've been thinking about this comment for two days. The truth is, it makes lots of financial sense to do a remastering of the original Fallout games right now, for the same reason it makes financial sense to make a mediocre TV show. They'd get to sell it to all the new players *and* sell it yet again to everyone who owns the old games. Dolla dolla! Er, yeah. Plus it would be a chance to put all of the RETCONs into the game so they become even harder to refute. if you just think like a nefarious self serving upper management executive, you can truly see the possibilities.

* Windows 11 should get a special award for making me actually feel nostalgic for Windows 8.

Last edited:
I would just want official fixing of bugged endings and maybe trying to get in touch with former developers to ask them what they had in mind regarding the hub/necropolis/adytum (as there was unfinished business that could not be added) and try to complete it

I would.
The style and atmosphere will be lost as the art direction will be altered heavily.
I don't need graphical improvements to Fallout 1 and 2, I'd just need some tweaks to gameplay where appropriate and perhaps some updates to quests and interactions and skills to make choice and consequence better.

Another thing about a potential Fallout 1 remake. I doubt it would be as tight as the original, they would probably change the existing writing and locations and overload it with content. These days, RPGs tend to focus on how long to beat and I'm sure this will be something that the remake team decides to 'fix'.

Back