The Positive Thread

I just don't understand why some people are so upset...

I don't think I've posted here yet as I am mostly a lurker, but I guess I just wanted to deliver my opinion about FO3. I'll go ahead and say that I LOVE Fallout 1 and 2, and that to this day they are both some of my favorite games ever and that I also consider myself a core fan. I also don't particularly care for Oblivion, although I did put about 130 hours total with all of the content add ons. It was a fun game, but Morrowind was better in a few areas but Oblivion is the same way(namely combat).

That's not to say I don't have complaints about about the original games, for one I don't particularly care for Turn Based combat. I realize at the time the games were created that way to be different, but I've always felt that if Fallout 1 and 2 had a more modern fighting system I'd have less frustration. I've seen A LOT of you complain that Turn Based combat offered a lot of tactical situations and whatnot.

I have to disagree, while combat was fun at times, it was also horribly frustrating most of the time. I'd say I enjoyed the world, Story, SPECIAL system,Dialogue and characters more than combat. I can't count the times I'd wished I could just play it like an Action RPG.

When I heard that Fallout 3 was going to be First Person and Third person I was very happy, I'll admit at first combat had me worried but after reading the megatons of info and watching videos I am not that concerned. I'm actually quite happy with it, it seems it is still very much based on your stats and skills in how well you'll be able to hurt or hit your enemies.

Now, what is with all the complaints about the Super Mutants? I just don't get it, they look fine to me!

As for the graphics, I think they look Fantastic! It's pretty incredible that I can look at a screenshot and instantly get that fallout-y feeling so I don't have any worries about the graphics OR the ambiance of the game. I personally think that it will capture the Fallout Universe very well.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the story as well, but the thing is that we barely have ANY story to go on for Fallout 3 except that the BoS sent a Contingent of Soldiers to investigate the area for technology and rumors of Super Mutant activity. As for Super Mutants on the East Coast, that is already plausible because at the end of Fallout 1 the remnants of the Super Mutant army fled eastwards, and as for the Enclave, that is also plausible. Why? because at the end of Fallout 2 Navarro was still around, it is also plausible that there are other Enclave bases.

I'm not saying I'm not concerned about Fallout 3 but I think some people need to lighten up and realize that we are finally getting Fallout 3 and I'm almost happy enough just because of that fact. A sequel to one of my favorite games ever made, I am optimistic about how it will turn out. If they can nail the Ambiance, Story, and Characters and make combat fun, I'll be happy.

I guess the question I have for you is...

Why So Serious?

Re: I just don't understand why some people are so upset...

GraveDiggingBadass said:
I guess the question I have for you is...

Why So Serious?

Well, this is a place intended primarily for people who like and care about the Fallout CRPGs. That being the case it's not very strange if Fallout forms the baseline of "what matters" hereabouts, and it would do little to no good if people were to be predominantly non-serious when discussing these things ("hairy deathclaws isn't canon haha but then who cares really it's all a matter of opinion lol"). You may find people here are not as serious when it comes to other topics like X-Com, knitting or starving children, each of which probably has a forum somewhere where people are being very serious about those things. Basically, this isn't the place where you should expect people not being serious about Fallout. Getting cross about that is a little like hopping into a knitting forum and going, "man do you ever drone ON and ON about knitting" (and/or "for me the thing about knitting was never the needles anyway but the, you know, yarn. I think it's great that we have better things to do with yarn nowadays, why do you always get hung up on the needles!!").

Well, from all i've seen FO3 is clearly a first person shooter. Plain and simple. This is a positive thread, so i have to say i think the models, textures, effects and visuals generally are going to look stunning.

But apart from that i think it looks shit.

My opinion of Fallout 3

I've played the first two Fallouts many times before and I love them.

Even though I think FO3 won't be exactly like FO and FO2 I think they are doing a decent job with the new one, and it looks like it will be a really fun game, maybe not the best FO game but still a really good game.

They have messed up on several things from what I have seen, like over doing the 50's theme, combat (Although I don't mind the combat system in place for FO3). But, in the end nothing is going to change the game as it is now, they are not going to scrap it and make a truer FO game so we either have to try it out or just lay FO to rest forever in our own minds, and continue playing the old games and mods.

As long as I can enjoy the game and have fun playing it then I will be fine, it is FOish enough to enjoy it I think, I may be wrong but it remains to be determined.

One one side I agree that it had to be brought into the new generation of gaming, although I still think a good overhead 3d view could have worked but lets face it, if they made it really similar to FO and FO2 graphically then no one but big time fans would even give it a second look.

Thanks for sharing.

One one side I agree that it had to be brought into the new generation of gaming, although I still think a good overhead 3d view could have worked but lets face it, if they made it really similar to FO and FO2 graphically then no one but big time fans would even give it a second look.

We've never heard this before... how original.

People with to many posts on this forum have are, in general, rude as hell if you don't agree with them. Prior to fallout 3 this has been the haven for those who love fallout 1 & 2, they could go on to each other about how great things were, drool over the old Van Buren fallout 3, and pray for the Apocalypse.

With the new Fallout 3, new fans are starting to post. May they all be dipped in vats of FEV and kicked out the door.

I've been an RPG fan for a long time, early Wizardry, Fallout, Planescape Torment, ect.

I have been watching the development of Fallout 3 carefully, I have hopes for it, and the one key thing you all don't seem to be getting is that Bethesda release mod tools, usually shortly after the release of the game. So instead of griefing about Bethesda making fallout 3 you should be thrilled. Short of getting the old team together you were not going to get what you wanted, now you can make it. Don't like the Fatman? Take it out.

I'll play the new Fallout 3, if I don't like it, ill play the moded one.

Ok, I'll try this again, without all the pointlessness.

Oh, what the hell..... I'll post some things I found positive about the game.

-The inside of the Vault looks great
-The PipBoy's excellent too... though it's going to be annoying to no end to have all the inventories and screens and such through that godawful green-on-black
-The Protectron. Sure it's just a copy/paste of Robbie the Robot from "Forbidden Planet," but it works in the setting.
-The radscorpion in one of the new videos looks fantastic.

Other than that.... I'm not exactly holding my breath for a great game.

Hopes

Yeah I actually like the Protectron, fits with the idea of fallout being the future invisioned in the 50's.

As far as the AI goes I think its pretty good, NPC's take cover, crouch, they work your flanks ect. It seems a little off because of the hacked character used by the player.

Yeah the guy charges you with a knife when you have a gun, but heck how many times did we do that?

Ok maybe we used a super sledge or ripper.

artmiser said:
I have been watching the development of Fallout 3 carefully, I have hopes for it, and the one key thing you all don't seem to be getting is that Bethesda release mod tools, usually shortly after the release of the game. So instead of griefing about Bethesda making fallout 3 you should be thrilled. Short of getting the old team together you were not going to get what you wanted, now you can make it. Don't like the Fatman? Take it out.

When did it become the fans responsibility to create games that they want to play?

If I don't like the track selection in GT5, should I hope Polyphony releases a track editor so I can make the game into something I enjoy? Hardly.

rcorporon said:
artmiser said:

When did it become the fans responsibility to create games that they want to play?

If I don't like the track selection in GT5, should I hope Polyphony releases a track editor so I can make the game into something I enjoy? Hardly.

Your missing the point, im trying to say there is a bright side, to those who do not like the game. We are getting a game with mod tools to allow us to make what we want. I say this because if you want a fallout sequel that follows the Cannon, you had best hope fans make it, because thats the only way you are going to get it

The atmosphere, the open end world, the post-apocalyptic environment, an RPG which isn't about wizards and magic, VATs, choices and consequences, and lastly, something minor, but, cannibalism. Being a fan of Dr.Lecter I've never played a game where this is possible (and if anyone knows a game where this is possible PLEASE tell me about it).

My opinion obviously, I'm one of the people who like how's FO3 shaping up. Got some gripes with it, but no game's perfect.

artmiser said:
Your missing the point, im trying to say there is a bright side, to those who do not like the game. We are getting a game with mod tools to allow us to make what we want. I say this because if you want a fallout sequel that follows the Cannon, you had best hope fans make it, because thats the only way you are going to get it

You're missing my point. If I don't like the game, I'm sure as hell not going to drop $60 for it, hope for a CS to come out, and then learn how to mod it into something I do like.

rcorporon said:
artmiser said:

You're missing my point. If I don't like the game, I'm sure as hell not going to drop $60 for it, hope for a CS to come out, and then learn how to mod it into something I do like.

Ah then your in luck, you just wait till a mod is out you do like, based on posts here, then buy the game on ebay for 20 bucks

artmiser said:
Ah then your in luck, you just wait till a mod is out you do like, based on posts here, then buy the game on ebay for 20 bucks

Thats my silver lining too. If anyone wants to see how much you can change Oblivion, just look at all the mods there.

With the dedicated fan base of the Fallout series (sans those who won't even touch a computer with FO3 installed on it) I expect there to be many changes in the game within days. Another reason to buy it on the PC, even if it would look and run better on my 360.

I expect one of the first mods to fix a couple of the easiest to fix complaints about the game: killable kids, the existance of the Fatman, and explodable cars.

Honestly, while I am a little dissapointed with some (ok, a bunch :D ) of Beth's decisions in FO3, I always remember that most of the minor stuff will be modded to my satisfaction relatively quickly.

I wouldn't put it past a mod team to find a way to make FO3 playable solely in the Isometric angle, or to try and recreate FO1 or 2 with the FO3 engine ("Blasphemy!" they cried, hoisting their torches and pitchforks high.)

thefalloutfan said:
The atmosphere, the open end world, the post-apocalyptic environment, an RPG which isn't about wizards and magic, VATs, choices and consequences, and lastly, something minor, but, cannibalism. Being a fan of Dr.Lecter I've never played a game where this is possible (and if anyone knows a game where this is possible PLEASE tell me about it).

My opinion obviously, I'm one of the people who like how's FO3 shaping up. Got some gripes with it, but no game's perfect.

Cannibalism? Seriously? I almost ate my own arm when I heard of that. I also heard all the pre - pubescent boys say "zomg I kn eet pplz!!!!11!!!11! Fallout3 is t3h pwn"

While I agree on the no wizard and magic thing, everything else seems lacking. I can get more into an atmosphere playing Age of Empires than Call of Duty. And hopefully we have enough choice and consequence to be able to remain neutral. But like a lot of people, I'm not holding my breath.

Can we change this post's name to "Forum"

The only positive thing I have read have been back handed compliments. I would have liked to read how this is going to be a good game instead of the usual "this isn't fallout 1/2" Well no shit, the other 1000 topics on this website is about that, go post there.

Hi.

I have been playing F1, F2, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion quite a few times, and finally decided to post concerning F3.

I am not going to deny that I am looking forward to F3 immensly. In the beginning I disliked it, due to the massive critic it received mainly here on NMA, but then I came to the conclusion that even though it is not F1, nor F2, it looks like a game I will enjoy, and it will not cost me anything except money to play it. F1 and F2 is still the same afterwards, and so on.

What I do not understand is that so many get provoked about this title because of it being named Fallout 3. It does not seem like anyone cared about bashing the more miserable Fallout titles (F:BOS), but once someone decides to try to make a decent game, people go bananas. It does not defame the previous Fallout games.

I also do not understand why people get so provoked about game producers feeling that they have to adhere to rules so that the production is sound economic-wise. That is merely logic, and the only way for companies to be able to produce large scale high quality games without losing money. Let the indie companies with less ambitious standards at visuals + contents deal with absolutely free form games. (ASCII games tend to be extremely open ended when it comes to choices)

Things I like about it:
Graphics (pixels are great, good 3d is great)
Large freeform world worth travelling through
S.P.E.C.I.A.L
Large player look customization
Hopefully good dps vs hp ratio (As in people die relatively quickly, and do not take irritatingly many shots)
Voice acting
Hopefully an intriguing storyline

Negative;
The lack of a development kit at release

Felt great to get this off my chest. No real reason to start a huge discussion, or try to dissect my post, because I will not respond to it anyway.

Possitive, part 2

Please try to stay positive, please keep it short and sweet, bullet points helpful. I will make a negative forum post for negative bullet point action.

-Game will be worth the money as far as number of hours you can get out of it (replay value).

-Good to Decently great graphics

-Good story (pretty sure it will have)

-Entertaining amount of weapons

-None liner game, you can do side quests and not only main quest

-No time limit, this can be seen good and bad, good because I hate time limits, bad because time limits add some sense of adventure/deadline dramatics to the game. More of a good thing then bad

-User friendly, this again could be good or bad. Good because if I take a break or play really late at night and the next day I dont remember what I was doing or where the main quest went I can read a summary of some of the things I did before I logged off. Some people could see this as a bad thing because it makes the game less hardcore. More of a good then bad.

-Second chances, again good and bad. Good because if i accidentally clicked "I want to fight" I wont have to reload the game. Good also because there are some "grey" type responses in Fallout 1/2 that I wasnt sure where it was going to lead, to an interesting story about some dudes wife (for example) or if he was going to take it as a wise crack at his wife. Kinda made me nerve racked when talking to people and I havent saved it in 3 hours. Bad because its kind of more real if you say something that pisses someone off in an "on edge" post apocalyptic world, they might draw first and kill you before you can kill them (hopefully in some cases in FO3 this WILL be the case where you dont get second chances) and therefore I think it a little queer if we get second chances in ALL situations. But I can say in the pro category of things that second chances are more real to real life, there have been plenty of times in bars where I was fucking with someone at a bar (drunks can be on edge and ready to fight too) and where they are ready to throw a punch, then I calm them down by telling them just kidding or distracting them. So good and bad, more good then bad though.

-Interesting time stopping strategic ability with VATS.

-Well designed. They spent 4 years on this. Even if you end up not liking the story or character or game play, there will not be any apparent glitches. Well thats the feel I get when they say its been tested and retested.

-Great voice acting. Maybe cliche and video gamey at times but hey, it IS a video game.

-Good, Evil, Neutral being awarded for being neutral is a new concept. Ya you were kinda awarded for being neutral in KOTOR because your light and dark spells both cost normal, but in FO3 you will be awarded with certain NPC's and in other ways, im pretty sure.

-Multiple ending (hopefully more modern then the slides and some story telling like FO1/2/T I want to see some video endings)

[/u]

Wow. You're basically summing up very basic elements that most video games have, or that any RPG should have and listing them as wildly positive elements. That takes some skill.

I mean really, value for money? Decent graphics? User friendly? Lack of bugs?

Also:

-Well designed. They spent 4 years on this. Even if you end up not liking the story or character or game play, there will not be any apparent glitches. Well thats the feel I get when they say its been tested and retested.
This is nonsense. See Oblivion.

-Great voice acting. Maybe cliche and video gamey at times but hey, it IS a video game.
This is...well...ehm...what? Did you watch the gameplay demos? That's not great voice acting at all.

Back