The Positive Thread

This will become the greatest game once we modders get our hands on the PC version and get crackin.

I'm so excited about this, there is so much potential and the skilled modding community that comes with selling the soul to the devil.

:twisted:

Macky said:
If experienced and prestigious writers and reviewers like Brother None have yet to comment on anything well done in the new Fallout, it simply must be because they would rather withhold these opinions and perpetuate the criticisms (...and perhaps justly so given the respective circumstances).
Before you say that Brother None has never said anything good about Fallout 3 I suggest you start by reading his and SuAside's preview from way back when. Hell, he's been consistent at pointing out things he likes (Protectron immediately jumps to mind) so before you start making statements about individuals and generally insulting people who are cynical of the game, I suggest you poke around a bit more.

Diebold said:
This will become the greatest game once we modders get our hands on the PC version and get crackin.

I'm so excited about this, there is so much potential and the skilled modding community that comes with selling the soul to the devil.

:twisted:
If/when a mod kit is released it could have mods like Oblivion does. Now I don't know about the gameplay mods (borrowed the game and deleted it after getting bored) but some of the aesthetic mods are amazing.

Good about Fallout 3 off the top of my head:
-Look of Radscorpions
-Look of Vault 101 (though it's not Fallout)
-Look of Robots (some are Fallout, some aren't)
-Look of some architecture and environmental doodads (rocket gas station, rocket in the museum, lunar lander, at least the computers in the museum [one of my top items], and a few others I'm sure)
[spoiler:895cc8d57c]-Look of Harold as a tree (wrong in every other area but I think he looks cool)
-Psychedelic Vault sounds cool (a bit over the top)[/spoiler:895cc8d57c]

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure that there is a handful of other things that I like but this'll do.

Myounage said:
Wait a minute, didn't Gecks just contain seeds and tools?

Yep, they weren't a 'magical' device that could create paradise out of mud for example.
The GECK would contain data discs, seeds, programs to unlock more functions of the Vault's fabricators and so on, basically instruction on how best to set up a settlement with what you have.

[spoiler:c5cedb6725]Apparently Bethesda has turned the GECK into the Genesis Device[/spoiler:c5cedb6725]

Well the G.E.C.K.'s on description in the Wiki contradicts itself. At one point it says it contained a replicator and another says it didn't, plus it contained a fission reactor and somehow allows people to make those cool buildings that pop up wherever anyone has a G.E.C.K.

Though I must admit from just playing FO2, my impression of it always was along the lines of something that could magically change arid land into fertile soil.

Texas Renegade said:
Though I must admit from just playing FO2, my impression of it always was along the lines of something that could magically change arid land into fertile soil.
Indeed, Beth probably had the same impression and, like most everything else, didn't bother to do any research on it.

Texas Renegade said:

That is what the tribal descendants of the Vault Dweller had made of it, facts had turned into mythology over the years.
The Vault Dweller knew that together with a Vault's resources you could make a great place to live in, at some point the Tribals made it something that could create paradise.

As for the cold fusion reactor, perhaps it contained blue prints of how to make one.

I'm feeling positive that Falldown 3 will help convince more players to go back to work on Fallout 2 mods... or flee to Fallout Online.

Positives:

- they got rid of the turned based combat (excluding VATS)
- they got rid of the isometric view
- they got rid of traits
- ... and kept the good stuff like assisted targeting and Bloody Mess
- it's the only game right now that has some real quests with real options (not that all are like perfect but )
- speak/steal/hack/shoot approaches
- some corny/ridiculous/illogical-irrational Fallout fun (yes the Fat-man, Railway Rifle, Rock-It Launcher are Fallout, more-so than any alien gun working with primitive earthly ammo).
- modding potential (hoping for and SDK soon and/or adaptations of TES IV tools).

Wazza said:
I'm feeling positive that Falldown 3 will help convince more players to go back to work on Fallout 2 mods... or flee to Fallout Online.

Yes, I'm certain that a huge budget game reimagining an old series is going to provoke a new generation of players and modders to work with shitty, half-broken tools on an ancient game. Splendid hypothesis.

About the GECK

I also thought it had tools or something in it that allowed easy transition of equipment and building materials used in the vault to make an outdoor infrastructure....

(maybe that was the data discs or something)

Texas Renegade said:

I think that was the point. First, around primitive people it changed into a fairy story, you know only how primitive people see this GECK, but during the game you're getting more info about it and you realise (when you finally get it) GECK is just a technological-survival device (or something like that) that contains knowledge to create things which might be called "miracles" for people who have never seen it or don't understand it.

The same thing you might wonder about religion and mythologies :)

Back