The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Japanese shows usually don't do characters well that are supposed to be "emotionally damaged" and such.

At least, to me, it always feels like a cheap emotional ploy to make the character likable/relatable/sympathetic. and facilitate the drama.

The visual style is the typical moe big eyes bubbly skin one, and she has a brother so it has the potential to evolve into one of those incest shows otakus love so much. Has anyone here watched Watamote? just to see If I actually end up watching it or not.

Atomkilla said:
Ever seen Wolf's Rain?

Nope.

Walpknut said:
Has anyone here watched Watamote?

One of the only two series I'm watching this season. It's alright, the art actually looks really decent considering how low budget it is; it looks more like something directed by a German expressionist most of the time rather than "typical moe anime" or whatever.

The plot though is just a lot of cringe humor, kind of along the lines of Peep Show. If you don't like that kind of stuff then don't bother watching it I guess. There's no drama or anything it's almost entirely comedy.

Really though what you should be watching this season is Uchouten Kazoku. Best anime of the year so far, first episode is a little slow but after that every episode is better than the last.

I've seen the first few episodes of Wolf's Rain and dropped it. Then again, I watched the first few episodes of NGE and dropped it.

Per said:
I've seen the first few episodes of Wolf's Rain and dropped it. Then again, I watched the first few episodes of NGE and dropped it.

I initially dropped NGE after seeing first few episodes.

However, I decided to give it a second chance. Past those boring (and relatively confusing) episodes, the series really gets better and explains itself, so to speak. It was worth it, definitely, especially if you follow it up with The End of Evangelion.

Walpknut said:
I only liked 5 episodes of Cowboy Bebop...

I liked Cowboy Bebop quite a lot. Possibly my favorite anime.

Sunday night I finally saw Rear Window, which has been on my list for a long time. It's really great. It has some similarities to another great Hitchcock suspense movie, Dial M for Murder, but I think it's even better.

You guys ever seen Jagten? Or 'The Hunt' in english? It's a pretty great film.

My parents didn't like it because they thought it had a non-ending.

For me it was 4/5.

Got my hands on the old Noir classics finally. While I did watch them via YouTube, the difference of owning the old records is simply fantastic.

I'll start re-watching "The Stranger on the Third Floor", followed by "Double Indemnity" and then "Where the Sidealk Ends". Fabolous movies.

LonesomeDrifter said:
I'll start re-watching "The Stranger on the Third Floor", followed by "Double Indemnity" and then "Where the Sidealk Ends". Fabolous movies.
I just saw Double Indemnity a few weeks ago, and loved it. I haven't seen the other two though. I'll keep an eye out for them.

The one I'm hankering to see at the moment is The Fallen Idol, by the same director and writer who made The Third Man.

^

Hahaha

That reminds me: is Cowboy Bebop The Movie worth watching?
I will watch it anyway, but should I kick it higher on my list?

Mortal Instruments: city of bones

ok movie, def for kids. went ultra cliche at the end. wait for netflix or dvd at most, or skip it.

The Family:

did not realize it was a luc besson movie. it was awesome. the gratuitous vulgarity by the end was a little annoying. theatre ok, def worth watching though.

Per said:
Walpknut said:
I only liked 5 episodes of Cowboy Bebop...

Banned

Hey, don't take offense, I am not saying the show was bad. It had very composition, animation and music. I just didn't find most episodes that interesting personally.

Also, Hideo Miyazaki retired a couple of week ago huh? well at least he didn't die like poor Satoshi Kon and Ryutaro Nakamura...

I bought Bebop the movie. It was pretty slow actually compared to the show and seemed a lot more dark/serious in tone. Unfortunately the DVD I got had a nick on it and I never got to see the last 10 minutes of the movie so really, fuck my life.

Has anyone seen either of Shane Carruth's films?

[spoiler:2d37c771dd][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC60HJvZRE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9KmAlrEXU[/youtube][/spoiler:2d37c771dd]

Atomkilla said:
That reminds me: is Cowboy Bebop The Movie worth watching?
I will watch it anyway, but should I kick it higher on my list?

A little late to this as I should really check out general discussion more.

I watched the movie before watching the series, way back in the day of 56k modems someone lent me a disk of anime films. It was the only good one and first anime I ever watched.
Possibly slightly influenced by nostalgia here but it's a great movie. A little slow but uses it well in a noir way, something the episodes couldn't do much due to running time.
I still watch it quite a lot as it has some very memorable scenes and a really good soundtrack. Not to mention a credible threat that is actually kind of spooky.

Akratus said:
Has anyone seen either of Shane Carruth's films?

Yup. Primer is awesome, although there comes a point in the movie where you basically have to stop and replay a section once or twice. Upstream Color is nice, well acted, good moods and music, but again there are one or two plot points you can't actually find in the movie itself.

Back