The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

I really didn't like Inglorious Basterds so much. I thought the ending was ridiculous. It had some good parts, however.

Those grindhouse movies Tarantino made were awful.

Just saw Oblivion last night, I really enjoyed it. I recommend you go see it. Now.

It throws you through some twists and turns, a few curveballs, and its a bit hard to follow. But then you get to the end and it all ties together and things become pretty clear.

Since we're talking about Tom Cruise... I watched Jack Reacher. Why are people disliking this movie? It's an incredible action film, the pacing is very fast, and there's a great chase scene (without silly music). Overall the plot is great although some details are rather questionable. A classic...

I re-watched Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2 after quite some time, but now, I finally had proper subtitles.

Both films are amazing, and highly recommended. I highly stress that quality subtitles are mandatory, especially for the sequel, which has a lot more dialogue and emphasis on it.

I mean, Ghost In the Shell is pure love on tape. I went even so far with my devotion that I watched the whole Stand Alone Complex in like a week-end :crazy:

Watched Seven Psychopaths. WATCH IT! I loved it. Great cast, great story, great pacing, great movie. It's ggggrrreeeeaat!

Atomkilla said:
I re-watched Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2 after quite some time, but now, I finally had proper subtitles.

Both films are amazing, and highly recommended. I highly stress that quality subtitles are mandatory, especially for the sequel, which has a lot more dialogue and emphasis on it.

For the case you have not seen it already, then you have to watch Akira as well. It is also a really well done Anime.

As far as "series" goes, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Death Note are as well great. Neon Genesis has also a movie of some sort, but really its hard to understand it without watching the series, because the movie was meant to be some kind of "end" to it.

AtomBomb said:
Just saw Oblivion last night, I really enjoyed it. I recommend you go see it. Now.

It throws you through some twists and turns, a few curveballs, and its a bit hard to follow. But then you get to the end and it all ties together and things become pretty clear.

Glad you liked it. I worked on the Sky Tower house for six months. Just saw the movie today myself and I was very pleased that it turned out so well.

Hell, I knew the script and the plot and it still threw some surprises at me. :clap:

Yeah, just saw Oblivion too and I was pleasantly surprised. The plot threaded familiar ground yet one or two twists surprised me (some were ruined by the trailer, why oh why show the survivors in it?). It also didn't use the action as a crutch but as a fitting part of the movie, which is relatively rare and welcome. I dismissed it as yet another Tom Cruise flick but it isin't.

Also, whoever wrote this has a serious hard-on for Mass Effect, there are way too many references to be just a coincidence. Harper's gun is a dead ringer for the Viper sniper rifle, the drones look a lot like ME2's Oculus, Jack Harper is the real name of the Illusive Man character, [spoiler:812da7783b]and the villain is a giant sentient starship with human slaves and a massive chip on its shoulder.[/spoiler:812da7783b]

Oblivion was written as a graphic novel by Joseph Kosinski in 2005. He directed Tron:Legacy but you probably know his previous commercial work - CGI related television commercials including the "Starry Night" commercial for Halo 3 and "Mad World" commercial for Gears of War.

Kosinski wrote, directed and produced Oblivion - which is rare these days. He was all over our sets all the time, very involved in production, which is also unusual these days.

What you're describing here, DammitBoy, is a guy who cares about the end result. Rare breed indeed

I've yet to see this one, but you made me want to check it out sooner rather than later.

TorontRayne said:
Watched Seven Psychopaths. WATCH IT! I loved it. Great cast, great story, great pacing, great movie. It's ggggrrreeeeaat!

Yeah I agree. I've seen it twice, and I would like to put an emphasis on GREAT CAST - acting is very good, so far so it will make you rewatch the movie!

Crni Vuk said:
Atomkilla said:

For the case you have not seen it already, then you have to watch Akira as well. It is also a really well done Anime.

As far as "series" goes, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Death Note are as well great. Neon Genesis has also a movie of some sort, but really its hard to understand it without watching the series, because the movie was meant to be some kind of "end" to it.

I have watched Death Note and absolutely loved it. Read manga as well. Both are great.

As for Akira and NGE...I've been hearing a lot of great things about them, but aren't those two a bit lengthy?
I can't really afford to watch series nowadays, especially if they go above 50 episodes or so, as most anime do. I might read manga, though (started reading Akira once, but dropped it...don't know why).

Sub-Human said:
TorontRayne said:

Yeah I agree. I've seen it twice, and I would like to put an emphasis on GREAT CAST - acting is very good, so far so it will make you rewatch the movie!

I just finished it. It was amazing. I'll need to watch it once or twice more to actually even figure it out.

DammitBoy said:
I worked on the Sky Tower house for six months. Just saw the movie today myself and I was very pleased that it turned out so well.
Well done. I saw Oblivion last night and thought it was quite good. That house is a major part of the story, too.

I'm not particularly afraid of heights, but I don't think I'd be too eager to swim in the pool if was actually at the altitude you see in the film.

I could nitpick a few things, but they're mostly minor stylistic preferences with the action and music. Overall I think Oblivion is the best new sci-fi movie I've seen in quite some time. Better than Avatar or Prometheus, or that steaming pile of Total Recall.

I am gonna go watch Oblivion on the 4th of May.
But I don't know I seriously have never been able to buy Tom Cruise in an action role. Gotta see how he does there.

Walpknut said:
I am gonna go watch Oblivion on the 4th of May.
But I don't know I seriously have never been able to buy Tom Cruise in an action role. Gotta see how he does there.

That's the thing, there's not a lot of action scenes, especially considering it's a pretty long movie (2h30). The film is mostly suspense and plot, with one chase sequence and a pretty good battle setpiece. So I really wasn't bothered too much by Cruise's acting, and this is coming from someone who usually has difficulty with him, especially when he tries to play the Jason Statham-like badass dude. Here he doesn't, and I found it works.

Also yet, the skyhouse is a pretty nice set. I'd love having that pool.

Crni Vuk said:

The movie takes place simultaneously with the final two episodes of the series so yeah you have to watch the series first.

Atomkilla said:
As for Akira and NGE...I've been hearing a lot of great things about them, but aren't those two a bit lengthy?

I dunno about the Eva manga but Akira is pretty short (only like five or six volumes I think). You can read it in a couple of hours.

Also most anime are never anywhere near 50 episodes long, more like 12-20.

Courier said:
I dunno about the Eva manga but Akira is pretty short (only like five or six volumes I think). You can read it in a couple of hours.

You mean the 6 volume (each one Phonebook sized) manga is SHORT?

Back