There is still a little bit hope for Fallout 4... right?

As for Fallout 4, I think the best continuation would be through its fans unless through some miracle Obsidian are either hired to do another Fallout for Bethesda (unlikely after how Beth screwed them with that meta critic deal) or even get control of the franchise.
I don't think the Metacritic thing will have to do anything with it. Obsidian might be unwilling if the higher-ups at ZeniMax come to them, but I'm certain it will be devs from BGS, probably Emil P., who come crawling. That would mean they won't reject them right off the bat.
As for Obsidian gaining control of the franchise, it's unlikely. If the entire ZeniMax empire would fall tomorrow, I'm quite certain it would be EA and BioWare that gets their grubby hands on Fallout.

Still I am wondering, even as a Fallout fan, should the series go on forever? (not that I want FNV to be the last instalment, just thinking many years from now)
If they're not willing to set games before (cronologically) other titles in the franchise, then it has to end. I do have a feeling that BGS will have a change of heart regarding this ridiculous rule, especially when they realise how limiting it truly is.

Last edited:
I'm quite certain it would be EA and BioWare that gets their grubby hands on Fallout.
BioWare wouldn't be so bad, I liked Mass Effect 2 and heard good things about Dragon Age. of course it would be much better if Obsidian or even inXile got the Fallout, but I doubt that's even an option.

If they're only willing to advance in the canon cronologically, then it has to end.
prequels are in style this season.
besides, bethesda doesn't seem to give a what about canon chronology. or canon.

Last edited:
I'm quite certain it would be EA and BioWare that gets their grubby hands on Fallout.
BioWare wouldn't be so bad, I liked Mass Effect 2 and heard good things about Dragon Age. of course it would be much better if Obsidian or even inXile got the Fallout, but I doubt that's even an option.
I've heard mixed opinions on DA: Origins, and mostly bad things about DA2 and DA: I. It might be close minded of me, but some of the short DA2 and DA: I gameplay vids I've seen dissuade me from playing them, and make me think that, at this point, whatever BioWare touches turns to shit.

prequels are in style this season.
besides, bethesda doesn't seem to give a what about canon chronology. or canon.
They actually said that they won't ever "go back in time". Couldn't give you a source, I think it's one of the Todd Howard or Emil P. interviews.

Prequels, interquels, side stories, all work, Fallout is not just centred around California/Mojave.

Personally I find Bethesda's no prequel rule a bit ridiculous and unrealistic, as we have so often discussed before, the world can not forever remain as it was a couple of years after the nuclear war, people start to organize and rebuild, increase in numbers, spread out.
I also don't think we should have some kind of major disaster or a second nuclear apocalypse to restore the previous status.

I am sorry mef, but the Fallout IP in the hands of Bioware would be as bad as it it in the hands of Bethesda now.
They would probably go for high stake/epic story setup that in general have a poor pay off, and will only pander to the fans who feel that personal viewpoints on various subjects should also be included in Fallout (including a forced romance plot)

Good question, good question...

I think the blueprint of Fallout should keep existing, everything that made Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 should be used for more RPG, no matter if they are called Fallout or are suspiciously similar substitute. (which Wasteland is not and probably shouldn't be)

Perhaps that is the most realistic we can hope for.
That when the Fallout series itself is over, that the mindset behind the gaming system and world building is passed on to other RPG setting and genres.

Personally I find Bethesda's no prequel rule a bit ridiculous and unrealistic, as we have so often discussed before, the world can not forever remain as it was a couple of years after the nuclear war
that's what I was talking about, but as I said, bethesda doesn't seem to care (their fallout takes place 200 years after the great war, yet it looks like it was 20)

Last edited:
(their fallout takes place 200 years after the great war, yet it looks like it was 20)
They tried, although rather poorly, to explain that. Unfortunately, now that they made that mistake, they have to make it as post-apocalyptic as possibe. Their fans (the ones on Reddit and places like that) expect that now, and BGS is too afraid to piss them off.

I will be surprised if Bethesda learned anything from Obsidian, which I doubt. In other words, there is little hope if Bethesda is developing the game.

There are things I hope Bethesda has learned, and I'm saying some of these as a fan of TES.

Oblivion VS Skyrim aspects
1. Copy/Pasted caves and building interiors are OK so long as the quests that go on in or around them are entertaining. Look up the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion and compare it to Skyrim's line.
2. Don't just eliminate groups because you didn't have time or wanted to put the effort into developing them. Looking at the Mages Guild.

New Vegas Aspects
1. Get me invested in my companions!!!
2. Get me invested in the main factions. NV didn't do this well. The NCR's reason for being was holding back the Legion and the Legion was evil to fill the plot hole. I want an actual choice, hell they could have thrown the Midwestern BoS in to give a better choice than the Legion. I was more invested in small factions than the main one.
3. Give me a map worth exploring.
4. Vaults that aren't obvious plot holes. Like Vaults 87, 92 and 108 were. There experiments went on with no enforcement mechanism. All of NV's did with the exception of Vault 22 which had research going on in it. Even ripping of Vault ideas from the Fallout Bible would be good, they're better ideas than Bethesda's three.
5. Let me play past the end game. Broken Steel like after quest of just do the TES thing and let me keep going.

The NCR reason for being was holdign back the Legion? What? Never played the first 2 Fallouts, did you?

Back