Those moments when you wish you were in a Black Isle (or Obsidian) game... [Spoilers]

Robot racing is another obvious one. Bet 10, 50, 100 caps, each race lasts a minute or so, to prevent over exploitation of the mechanic. Little money generator, plus a bit of gambling, for those who like that. Robots would move at "fixed randomized" speeds, making it impossible to guess simply from their design.

Make a deal with one of the gamblers to hack one of the robots to speed them up or slow them up, with the person reacting based on it, and maybe running into trouble with the Triggermen if we do it too often. Build your own bot to go to the races. Taking an old 'bot (Cyberdog?) that just lost a race and is about to be executed by it's master... there's so much potential. But instead we get a cool setpiece and "environmental storytelling"

Like the lack of reactivity in the game that Black Isle/Interplay/Obsidian are known for.

Like an example in this video here (2:03:00 mark). One of those guys (George?) talks about an example of something they did in Fallout 2 since they couldn't find a decent gun for a long time and weren't sure how to progress with dialogue when playing it the first time. Earlier on in their playthrough they broke down, decided to rob a Gun store, got caught and shot their way out. Some kids get killed in the crossfire and even though they didn't shoot the kids directly, they still started all of it, which finally gave them the "Childkiller" reputation. Near the end of the game, they were trying to get into a sanctuary (Vault 13 I think?), but they wouldn't let him in due to his bad reputation. So to get past the dialogue of the game, he used the mechanics of it by taking a bunch of Buffout to reduce their intelligence enough where they simply let him their character in due to feeling sorry for his character being a total idiot.

Like the lack of reactivity in the game that Black Isle/Interplay/Obsidian are known for.

Like an example in this video here (2:03:00 mark). One of those guys (George?) talks about an example of something they did in Fallout 2 since they couldn't find a decent gun for a long time and weren't sure how to progress with dialogue when playing it the first time. Earlier on in their playthrough they broke down, decided to rob a Gun store, got caught and shot their way out. Some kids get killed in the crossfire and even though they didn't shoot the kids directly, they still started all of it, which finally gave them the "Childkiller" reputation. Near the end of the game, they were trying to get into a sanctuary (Vault 13 I think?), but they wouldn't let him in due to his bad reputation. So to get past the dialogue of the game, he used the mechanics of it by taking a bunch of Buffout to reduce their intelligence enough where they simply let him their character in due to feeling sorry for his character being a total idiot.

That's pretty cool, and shows how reactive the originals are.

They have one INT check I think so it is possible. Science check is a no brainer. Repair is fucking gone so that is out for now. There are ways to improve aspects of the game, expanding on what little is there. It can be done but it is not optimal nor is it right for Bethesda to leave it to modders/another developer to do that.

The INT check was (ironically, given that Repair is gone) for repairing an item you can interact with. I'm not even sure the game would be capable of supporting SPECIAL/perk checks in dialog at this game. I fear it is hard coded to only have CHA checks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doing quest mods is going to be a nightmare anyway, because of the voiced protagonist and 4 options limit.

They have one INT check I think so it is possible. Science check is a no brainer. Repair is fucking gone so that is out for now. There are ways to improve aspects of the game, expanding on what little is there. It can be done but it is not optimal nor is it right for Bethesda to leave it to modders/another developer to do that.

The INT check was (ironically, given that Repair is gone) for repairing an item you can interact with. I'm not even sure the game would be capable of supporting SPECIAL/perk checks in dialog at this game. I fear it is hard coded to only have CHA checks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doing quest mods is going to be a nightmare anyway, because of the voiced protagonist and 4 options limit.

It can be done!

At the beginning of the game, where I'm forced into a situation I'd rather not be in and gives me no character freedom.

I thought of this as well. In fact it was so blatantly obvious to me that this should have been the way it worked that I thought I did something wrong, so I kept reloading and going about things a different way. Even dressed as a Raider every single bastard in the Combat Zone tries to kill you. Stopping the synth hating guy from shooting his brother could have been handled so many ways. I tried to talk to them but there was no opportunity to intervene with any of the members involved. It felt like something that happens in a scripted FPS event where you can't do a damn thing.
Yeah, I think I reloaded seven times in the combat zone.

Trying to sneak, disguise myself, leave companion at the door in case they were just allergic to wet dogs...

I like the point about cut content, since one of the early sidequests, Order Up, pretty much delivered on what I expect to be a Fallout experience. I got to choose who I sided with, I could solve peacefully or violently... it wasn't perfect, but it had a least a number of paths I could take.

It's almost like they implemented that one early on, realised how much work that was, then decided to turn the rest into a bulletfest.

It can be done!
I wouldn't bother hoping for anything special to happen, it seems the damage has already been done because of Bethesda. Even if Obsidian made a new game this engine would only hold them back from doing what they really wanted. As it has already been said by The Dutch Ghost,
"You can put cherries and whip cream on a turd but that does not change the fact that it is a turd.".

Toront, I don't think there is any point in trying to fix Fallout 4. You can put cherries and whip cream on a turd but that does not change the fact that it is a turd.

I know I'm just pointing out the possibility of making the game playable for some.

They care about those wacky skeletons littering the world, watching little ants crawling on a tree, finding notes on dead people, and environmental story telling in general. Can't forget being able to wiggle and spaz your arm out while the pipboy is open because we love useless features.

I just came across Quint from Jaws in a boat with some weird shark-looking type creature in the scene where the shark sinks the boat. The lack of interactivity with people in this world is really exaggerating that skeletons are pretty much their only storytelling.

I just came across Quint from Jaws in a boat with some weird shark-looking type creature in the scene where the shark sinks the boat. The lack of interactivity with people in this world is really exaggerating that skeletons are pretty much their only storytelling.

Don't forget the manequins, they just wet insane with those.

I hope someone makes a mod where they replace the Raider Armor parts so they look more like what raiders would wear in Mad Max rather than justa bunch of garbage stapled to your onesie of choice. Those early armors bits just look like ass.

Last edited:
I would say that all raider armor look like crap. Same with all the synth armor and the heavy variants of the rest. Especially those pauldrons are ridiculous.
That's why I installed the mod that lets you wear armor pieces with all clothing, so the clothes partially obscure the ugly armor. Now I have both good defense and snazzy looks.

I would say that all raider armor look like crap. Same with all the synth armor and the heavy variants of the rest. Especially those pauldrons are ridiculous.
That's why I installed the mod that lets you wear armor pieces with all clothing, so the clothes partially obscure the ugly armor. Now I have both good defense and snazzy looks.

Yeah the game armour and guns are ridiculous.

Yeah the game armour and guns are ridiculous.
10mm Pistol without the stupidly heavy looking 'long barrel' is one of few good weapon designs in FO4 IMO, along with the unfinished AK-like Assault Rifle (personally hate the current 'Machine Gun' assault rifle)
Those arms of heavy armors do look ridiculous, but legs and torsos are somewhat fine in my book.

Using the cryolator gives me a headache.... coudn't they give it an even bigger gun model? Bethesda has been on this bussiness for decades and they don't have FOV sliders on their games and they still have massive gun models... That's like, amateur level shit.

Using the cryolator gives me a headache.... coudn't they give it an even bigger gun model? Bethesda has been on this bussiness for decades and they don't have FOV sliders on their games and they still have massive gun models... That's like, amateur level shit.
This is really bothering me as well. I have an Institute Pistol with a Nightvision Sight attached and it quite literally almost takes up half of the screen. It's ridiculous.

Fallout 4 really does have a lot of FPS cliches - lens flare, blood splatters on your screen, low FOV with massive weapons that occupy half of your screen...

This is really bothering me as well. I have an Institute Pistol with a Nightvision Sight attached and it quite literally almost takes up half of the screen. It's ridiculous.

Fallout 4 really does have a lot of FPS cliches - lens flare, blood splatters on your screen, low FOV with massive weapons that occupy half of your screen...

I have my FOV at 90 and yet I'm still facefucking my gun. It's annoying how big these gun models are and how close to your character's face in first person they are.

Back