Tim Cain doesn't comment on Fallout 3

I think it lacked decent advertising - I don't recall any ads in Poland mentioning that it's a faithful representation of D&D system on PC.

Sander said:
Troika knew in advance what the deadlines were, and they didn't make them properly.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the deadline for TTOE and Vampire has been changed from what has been agreed initially. But then again I could have been blitzed out of my skull so... meh.

Even so, Troika made a contract that said that the release date can be changed by the publisher, or they agreed with the publisher, sure they would have accepted it because of the need of money. But you see, that was their problem from the beginning.

Sovz said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the deadline for TTOE and Vampire has been changed from what has been agreed initially. But then again I could have been blitzed out of my skull so... meh.
Deadlines don't get changed in the middle of development. If anything, Bloodlines' deadline got shifted up because Half-Life 2 still wasn't done.

At first I was just going to blame the sales of Arcanum...

I blame every single STUPID MOTHER FUCKER FOR BUY SHITTING GAMES.

When you stop buying shitty games...they'll start making good games.

Sander said:
Sovz said:
If anyone is to blame, it’s the publishers, who rushed game development, withheld funds and demanded unrealistic deadlines.
Sorry, but no. Deadlines are negotiated over, simple as that. Troika knew in advance what the deadlines were, and they didn't make them properly. That's not the fault of the publishers, that's Troika's fault for not planning development right and being too ambitious with the content.
You make it sound like negotiating publishing deals is as simple as asking for a good deal. Negotiations, especially in the gaming industry, are all about leverage. If you have none, i.e. you are not in position to negotiate, then you take what's offered and thank for the honor and the privilege. Why do you think Bio hasn't sold Dragon Age to a publisher yet?

Troika lost when Sierra fucked the Arcanum release by sitting on the game for 6 months while it was being pirated like crazy. Arcanum was supposed to be Troika's flagship title, its leverage. When Sierra ruined that chance, Troika could only take what was given and agree to all and any conditions. Or die. It didn't save them, of course, but that's how the industry works.

Deadlines don't get changed in the middle of development.
Everything could be changed. KOTOR 2 was supposed to be a February release, but because the game was *almost* ready and the holy - gaming sales-wise - Christmas season was approaching, it was pushed out the door 3-4 months earlier. Why? Same reason. Obsidian doesn't have any leverage to tell Lucas Art to fuck off and stick with the contract.

VDweller said:
You make it sound like negotiating publishing deals is as simple as asking for a good deal. Negotiations, especially in the gaming industry, are all about leverage. If you have none, i.e. you are not in position to negotiate, then you take what's offered and thank for the honor and the privilege. Why do you think Bio hasn't sold Dragon Age to a publisher yet?
I knew someone would interpret it like that, but no, that is not my point. I'm not saying that negotiating deals are not impossible and that you can't get fucked over in them. But, simple fact, if you get a short deadline you cut content. It's all about planning in software development and if you don't make your deadlines you simply planned poorly. Either by being overly ambitious, or by simply being a shitty planner. Troika probably fell prey to the first, along with problems of a technical nature mostly surrounding Bloodlines' use of an external engine that was still in full development.

VDweller said:
Troika lost when Sierra fucked the Arcanum release by sitting on the game for 6 months while it was being pirated like crazy. Arcanum was supposed to be Troika's flagship title, its leverage. When Sierra ruined that chance, Troika could only take what was given and agree to all and any conditions. Or die. It didn't save them, of course, but that's how the industry works.
Troika survived for 4 more years after that. That is not the only thing that killed them. Lacking a really succesful flagship title is not what kills a game studio, *if* the game studio plans well and knows when to cut content.

VDweller said:
Everything could be changed. KOTOR 2 was supposed to be a February release, but because the game was *almost* ready and the holy - gaming sales-wise - Christmas season was approaching, it was pushed out the door 3-4 months earlier. Why? Same reason. Obsidian doesn't have any leverage to tell Lucas Art to fuck off and stick with the contract.
Wasn't it Bioware that was the middle man between Lucasarts and Obsidian?

And, simply put, that's a breach of contract unless they had a shitty contract. Which might have been the case for Troika, although doubtful. Then again, the game industry standard could be shitty contracts.

In any case, the comparison is very poor because Troika's games were *not* pushed out as quickly as possible. Bloodlines' release was postponed until Half-Life 2 was ready, Arcanum was not released for almost a year, ToEE I don't know much about.

What fucked over Troika much more was the relatively poor handling of their products *post-release* by their publishers. Bloodlines got pushed out at the same time as Half-Life 2, which is a ridiculous move. ToEE got almost no press, Arcanum was relatively well-handled post-release by Sierra I think, though I have very little information on that.

Sander said:
But, simple fact, if you get a short deadline you cut content. It's all about planning in software development and if you don't make your deadlines you simply planned poorly.
ToEE was in development for 20 months. What quality would you expect from a brand new game (i.e. not an engine/assets reusing sequel like IWD2) that was made in less than 2 years with or without planning?

For comparison, Fallout was in development for 3.5 years. Arcanum was in development for 3.2 years. See the pattern?

Troika survived for 4 more years after that.
Survived would be the key word. Arcanum was a game they were proud of and wanted to make. Chose to make. Unlike ToEE or Bloodlines.

That is not the only thing that killed them. Lacking a really succesful flagship title is not what kills a game studio...
You are right. I forgot the second key factor. They lost the rights to their best title (Sierra wasn't interested in a sequel and without Sierra holding the rights they couldn't make another Arcanum game). The combination of both killed them. Compare it to PB, a similarly small studio that used the Gothic series (sadly, they too lost the rights to their own creation) to grow and establish themselves better.

Wasn't it Bioware that was the middle man between Lucasarts and Obsidian?
Nope. Bio helped Feargus get the deal.

And, simply put, that's a breach of contract unless they had a shitty contract.
Sure. Now put yourself in Feargus' big shoes. You have a deal with Lucas Arts, a mega corporation handing out pure gold Stars Wars licenses. LA wants you to release the game sooner than agreed. Do you:

a) tell them "Read the fucking contract, assholes. I have another 3 months", knowing that LA won't forget it and you'll never work with LA properties again, and possibly with other major properties (like the Aliens) because nobody likes a fucking rules lawyer.

b) do what they tell you to, knowing that LA won't forget it and you'll have a chance to do business with them in the future. There are strong rumors that KOTOR 3 is in development and many signs point to Obsidian.

VDweller said:
ToEE was in development for 20 months. What quality would you expect from a brand new game (i.e. not an engine/assets reusing sequel like IWD2) that was made in less than 2 years with or without planning?

For comparison, Fallout was in development for 3.5 years. Arcanum was in development for 3.2 years. See the pattern?
Yes. The pattern is shitty planning.
'But they had less time'
I know. I don't care. Shitty planning. Making a game in 2 years with a full team is not impossible in any way, you just have to learn to be less ambitious.

VDweller said:
Survived would be the key word. Arcanum was a game they were proud of and wanted to make. Chose to make. Unlike ToEE or Bloodlines.
They still *chose* to make those games. No one forced them to make those games, and I doubt that they somehow weren't proud of those two games.

VDweller said:
You are right. I forgot the second key factor. They lost the rights to their best title (Sierra wasn't interested in a sequel and without Sierra holding the rights they couldn't make another Arcanum game). The combination of both killed them. Compare it to PB, a similarly small studio that used the Gothic series (sadly, they too lost the rights to their own creation) to grow and establish themselves better.
Yep. But the world doesn't end after the first title. If they create a succesful second title, they're just as good. You don't need a flagship title to survive, see Obsidian.

VDweller said:
Sure. Now put yourself in Feargus' big shoes. You have a deal with Lucas Arts, a mega corporation handing out pure gold Stars Wars licenses. LA wants you to release the game sooner than agreed. Do you:

a) tell them "Read the fucking contract, assholes. I have another 3 months", knowing that LA won't forget it and you'll never work with LA properties again, and possibly with other major properties (like the Aliens) because nobody likes a fucking rules lawyer.

b) do what they tell you to, knowing that LA won't forget it and you'll have a chance to do business with them in the future. There are strong rumors that KOTOR 3 is in development and many signs point to Obsidian.
Heh, nice false dichotomy. Negotiation and talks are key here, and it is certainly possible for them to say 'We don't release this until the deadline. We have another three months, and it simply isn't done now.'
Will this fuck over their relationship with Lucasarts? Possibly. Will this make sure they publish a much better game and get a much better quality reputation (and hence leverage)? You bet.
Will this fuck over their relationship with future companies? I doubt it. No company is going to be pushed away by 'Hey, they adhere to their contract' which is a shitload better than 'Damn, those people kept missing deadlines'.

Sander said:
VDweller said:

Yes. The pattern is shitty planning.
'But they had less time'
I know. I don't care. Shitty planning.
Sounds like a tantrum to me. I offered you an explanation. You dismissed it because you don't care and you'd rather stick with your "shitty planning" theory.

Making a game in 2 years with a full team is not impossible in any way, you just have to learn to be less ambitious.
1.5 years. 18 months original deal, plus a 2-month extension. But you are right, it's not impossible. I'm sure you'd have done a fantastic job there.

They still *chose* to make those games. No one forced them to make those games, and I doubt that they somehow weren't proud of those two games.
When your only option is a short DnD game, and your only choice is which module to pick... As for the pride, I suggest reading some post-release interviews, assuming you have any interest in the subject.

Yep. But the world doesn't end after the first title. If they create a succesful second title, they're just as good. You don't need a flagship title to survive, see Obsidian.
I hope we all agree that Obsidian is a very special case. Feargus' strong ties with Bio developed during BG development, when Bio was a nobody, a small team with an RTS game that later became Baldur's Gate, helped him to land two mega-hit, super hot licenses - a Star Wars KOTOR license and DnD NWN license. And now the Aliens license. It simply doesn't get any better than that for a startup.

Troika went a different way. They crafted an original game, which is always a black-n-white, life-or-death scenario. Had it been a successful [enough to warrant a sequel] title, things would have been different. The sad thing is it could have been if Sierra didn't fuck things up. After that, it was a free fall.

ToEE couldn't have been a great game, not with 1.5 years development cycle. Surprisingly enough, it did very well and even outsold both overhyped NWN expansions. It was Atari's best selling PC game that year. Unfortunately, Atari decided not to make another module - Against the Giants was frequently mentioned, to avoid competing with its other DnD products, and so Troika had to seek its fortune elsewhere. Again, instead of developing and growing strong on their own IP, they were completely at the mercy and whim of publishers.

Heh, nice false dichotomy. Negotiation and talks are key here, and it is certainly possible for them to say 'We don't release this until the deadline. We have another three months, and it simply isn't done now.'
Will this fuck over their relationship with Lucasarts? Possibly.
If you agree with me, why claiming "false dichotomy"? KOTOR 2 sold very well through the holiday season, making LA happy. It got 86% combined reviews score, which also pleased LA, so it was a 100% correct business move. Sure, it was an unfinished and unpolished game, but who cares? Certainly not Lucas Arts.

VDweller said:
Sounds like a tantrum to me. I offered you an explanation. You dismissed it because you don't care and you'd rather stick with your "shitty planning" theory.
And the same is true for you from my point of view. You'd rather stick it all on the publisher, while neglecting the fact that Troika's the one who was actually making the game.
The 'I don't care' remark was not one meant to imply that I'm ignoring arguments, but that those arguments are insignificant in impact compared to my arguments.

VDweller said:
1.5 years. 18 months original deal, plus a 2-month extension. But you are right, it's not impossible. I'm sure you'd have done a fantastic job there.
Ah yes, 'you would've done much better'. Good job going for the insults instead of the actual argument, there, VD.
Here's a thought: it's not about whether I or anyone else would've done better, I'm not insulting the Troika people nor calling them incompetent and whatnot. I'm simply noting that they fell prey to a mistake: they planned poorly and too ambitiously/unrealistically. So far you haven't been able to refute that.

VDweller said:
I hope we all agree that Obsidian is a very special case. Feargus' strong ties with Bio developed during BG development, when Bio was a nobody, a small team with an RTS game that later became Baldur's Gate, helped him to land two mega-hit, super hot licenses - a Star Wars KOTOR license and DnD NWN license. And now the Aliens license. It simply doesn't get any better than that for a startup.

Troika went a different way. They crafted an original game, which is always a black-n-white, life-or-death scenario. Had it been a successful [enough to warrant a sequel] title, things would have been different. The sad thing is it could have been if Sierra didn't fuck things up. After that, it was a free fall.

ToEE couldn't have been a great game, not with 1.5 years development cycle. Surprisingly enough, it did very well and even outsold both overhyped NWN expansions. It was Atari's best selling PC game that year. Unfortunately, Atari decided not to make another module - Against the Giants was frequently mentioned, to avoid competing with its other DnD products, and so Troika had to seek its fortune elsewhere. Again, instead of developing and growing strong on their own IP, they were completely at the mercy and whim of publishers.
They were always at the mercy and whim of publishers, and most game companies are. My point never was that they weren't.

Now here's the essence of my argument:
Did the publishers fuck over Troika a few times? Yes. Does this mean that Troika is suddenly absolvent from all blame and did not create buggy, somewhat unfinished games? No. They *are* at least in part to blame for their own buggy games, and hence in part for their own demise.

VDweller said:
If you agree with me, why claiming "false dichotomy"?
Do you know what a false dichotomy is? It's the suggestion that there are only two possible options. In this case you suggested that they could either fuck over Lucasarts and ruining your own reputation everywhere for ever and ever, or go along with it and live happily ever after.
As I explained, that's a false dichotomy since the third choice is going about this properly, possibly soiling the reputation with Lucasarts (and not even that if the game turns out to be succesful) but still leaving tons of room for good relationships with most other companies.

VDweller said:
KOTOR 2 sold very well through the holiday season, making LA happy. It got 86% combined reviews score, which also pleased LA, so it was a 100% correct business move. Sure, it was an unfinished and unpolished game, but who cares? Certainly not Lucas Arts.
This is a neat soundbite, but not a correct one. The general consensus, including in the press, was that it was unpolished and incomplete and that that showed. They probably would've gotten better results and certainly a better reputation for good games that sell well had they polished the game first. The fact that one scenario turned out good does not mean another scenario doesn't turn out much better.

VDweller said:
KOTOR 2 sold very well through the holiday season, making LA happy. It got 86% combined reviews score, which also pleased LA, so it was a 100% correct business move. Sure, it was an unfinished and unpolished game, but who cares? Certainly not Lucas Arts.

We'll only know what kind of business move it was once they try to publish KOTOR 3.

To call the game "unfinished and unpolished" is something of an understatement, given that a significant portion of the end-game was actually missing. I felt absolutely cheated by the fact that there were palpable cuts to the final game, and they certainly didn't go unnoticed by the reviewers. This kind of thing poisons the word-of-mouth, compromises your reputation, and utlimately, who knows what effect it had on sales?

That score of 86% percent, and their profit margins, might have been much better with a slight delay.

Sander said:
...they planned poorly and too ambitiously/unrealistically.

That is the essence of it. You can't fault their ambition, but they seem to have lacked the necessary pragmatism to make compromises. It is a great shame that they couldn't deliver their completed vision and sell units, but perhaps it also helps to highlight why so many companies lurch (too far) towards populism and conservatism when designing games.

AlteredEgo said:
By the way, if you want to see something really cool that's usually kept confidential, here's the contract for call of duty, exposed during a lawsuit. Makes for good reading for anyone interested in this type of stuff.

http://gamasutra.com/features/20070112/spark_12.shtml

That's an interesting read. I wish I had read that yesterday, as my cousin was asking me how much video game makers make, and how much it costs to make one... so I went through the list of every positiion I could think of, wrote down any wages I knew offhand (and guesstimated the rest), and took some (uninformed) guesses on actual development costs... looks like the latter wound up being pretty close.

AlteredEgo said:
Sander said:
Deadlines don't get changed in the middle of development. If anything, Bloodlines' deadline got shifted up because Half-Life 2 still wasn't done.

Actually, deadlines get changed in the middle of development all the time, and it's especially common for deadlines and milestones to shift around if you are 3rd party developer for a publicly traded company.

That leads to some pretty embarrassing moments, like the story between Interplay and Bioware on the original NWN and again Interplay and Shiny on the Matrix game, before both licenses were traded to other publishers. Someone should make a book on that someday.

AlteredEgo said:
By the way, if you want to see something really cool that's usually kept confidential, here's the contract for call of duty, exposed during a lawsuit. Makes for good reading for anyone interested in this type of stuff.

http://gamasutra.com/features/20070112/spark_12.shtml

Ugh.. Reading lawyer-speak gives me a headache.

It seems like Spark should have had more lawyers review the contract. Activision seemed to have complete control over them, which sucks. Using words like "reasonable" is just plain dumb. Who's definition of the word "reasonable" are they going to use? Webster's? I'm pretty sure "reasonable" is any time between 5 seconds and 5 eons, depending on the relativity.

Makagulfazel said:
It seems like Spark should have had more lawyers review the contract. Activision seemed to have complete control over them, which sucks. Using words like "reasonable" is just plain dumb. Who's definition of the word "reasonable" are they going to use? Webster's? I'm pretty sure "reasonable" is any time between 5 seconds and 5 eons, depending on the relativity.

Reasonable is a pretty standard legal term:

Reasonable (Adj) Reasonable is used to represent the near equality of the action or activities taking in to consideration the prevailing circumstances at the time of the event. Reasonableness is time and circumstances conscious. Hence reasonableness will change when situation change. (According to Legal-Explanations.com.)

Reasonable
Definition - adj
1 a  : being in accordance with reason, fairness, duty, or prudence
b  : of an appropriate degree or kind.
(According to Lawyers.com

So reasonable is obviously the term which provides the basis for either party to prove that they or the other party have satisfied their contractual obligations - or not - in the case of a dispute. The alternative would, presumably, be to draw up contracts in absolute terms, but that would lead to situations where no judgement could be exercised with fairness in mind - there would only be the absolute letter of the contract.

I'm told by friends who work in commercial law that most contracts are pretty meaningless, beyond providing the necessary environment for the fight - after that, it becomes a case of who has the best legal representatives.

Back