Todd Howard suggests that they'll start on Fallout 5 soon

Bizarre fact: This is incredibly therapeutic cleansing of the mind.

I also love a good argument and love y'all.

Especially when you're aggressive and attack my arguments because it forces me to actually think.

Y'all wonderful.
You get off by being yelled at?

You get off by being yelled at?

I love arguing. Good spirited debate is the fuel of getting the mind going and whenever I do, I can usually crank out a chapter in a day or two.

I love people who are passionate about what they love and what they care about.

Someone also told me this is not how most people view internet arguments as good harmless fun.

I love arguing. Good spirited debate is the fuel of getting the mind going and whenever I do, I can usually crank out a chapter in a day or two.

I love people who are passionate about what they love and what they care about.

Someone also told me this is not how most people view internet arguments as good harmless fun.
Most arguments resulted in fist fights growing up and going into adulthood, especially in my family. As a result, when I interact with someone online (or otherwise) where hostility begins to show, I tell the other person how I feel and then never engage with them again. Just so you know, I don't see anything you've said as hostile, just mildly annoying at worst.

Most arguments resulted in fist fights growing up and going into adulthood, especially in my family. As a result, when I interact with someone online (or otherwise) where hostility begins to show, I tell the other person how I feel and then never engage with them again. Just so you know, I don't see anything you've said as hostile, just mildly annoying at worst.

So noted. My wife was genuinely flummoxed at this as well. The idea of arguing coming from a place of respect rather than hatred and anger.

I like how the only part of FO3 still talked about today, is it's horrid world building. Obviously if it's still being noticed to this day, by progressively more and more people. The criticism clearly has merit.

Um Shady Sands is a tiny village that doesn't have a Sheriff. New Reno doesn't have a Sheriff and is run by four criminal families. Megaton has a Sheriff that goes to arrest Burke... so where is he going to put him? In the ground? Okay so if that's the case it explains how the slightest transgression leads to immediate assault.
Maybe he's just gonna kiII Burke, he does kiII you when you just threaten him when you first arrive.

I think both sides of the debate have their points, I just can't decide which points are right or wrong. On one hand, yes, Fallout 3 world doesn't make sense, on the other it's the Capital of America, I know it sounds like a headcanon, but isn't it just common sense that the most important place, being the Capital, would be nuked harder? Or the fact that it has more aggressive habitat consisting of uncontrollable super-mutants, huge mutants and a damn mysterious private military force Talon company doing some shit. Some locations got affected by engine limitations. But I do agree about some criticisms, that the whole Waters of life plot is dumb, and is only supported by three really thirsty guys.
Gotta note, that my introduction to the Fallout was with 3, when I was 6 years old, so I have huge nostalgic bias towards this great game.

I think both sides of the debate have their points, I just can't decide which points are right or wrong. On one hand, yes, Fallout 3 world doesn't make sense, on the other it's the Capital of America, I know it sounds like a headcanon, but isn't it just common sense that the most important place, being the Capital, would be nuked harder? Or the fact that it has more aggressive habitat consisting of uncontrollable super-mutants, huge mutants and a damn mysterious private military force Talon company doing some shit. Some locations got affected by engine limitations. But I do agree about some criticisms, that the whole Waters of life plot is dumb, and is only supported by three really thirsty guys.
Gotta note, that my introduction to the Fallout was with 3, when I was 6 years old, so I have huge nostalgic bias towards this great game.

I dunno, I think that Daddy Neeson isn't that thirsty. Doctor Li would love to go down on him but he seems oblivious.

The fact that this contradicts the main plot 2 minutes after leaving the vault makes it EVEN MORE worse. It's actually garbage tier worldbuilding.
Eh, I don't know that I disagree with this. Literally the first character you meet on your way into Megaton is a water beggar who will tell you how scarce water is in, and how they have water inside the city walls but for a steep price. And the fact that Megaton has water, but the purifier is on the pritz and threatening to break down, actually re-enforces the theme, that access to water is extremely fragile.

Don't misunderstand me here: While I disagree that Megaton contradicts the main plot, I think both of the two aspects were very poorly handled. The Water Beggars outside of the settlements are one of the only things in the setting that establishes the scarcity of water, and there are only like 3 of them. THere's also a couple of ghouls fighting over a fridge in one random encounter, but that's it. It's very easy to totally miss that the main conflict of the game is over water, people don't talk about it and it doesn't influence many things.

And the purifier storyline in Megaton is bad for the reasons you list. Why doesn't anyone care about the purifier other than Walter? Why isn't Walter rich? What authority is Walter under, why is he just supplying this municipality with water? The purifier is just taken as a given without any sense of how it's there or how it's really run. It exists purely to give a side objective that has something to do with water, without doing any of the legwork to actually build out the world and think through the relationships within it.

Probably the same place New Reno or Shady Sands Jail is.
Um Shady Sands is a tiny village that doesn't have a Sheriff. New Reno doesn't have a Sheriff and is run by four criminal families. Megaton has a Sheriff that goes to arrest Burke... so where is he going to put him? In the ground? Okay so if that's the case it explains how the slightest transgression leads to immediate assault.
Pic related, New Reno's jail

latest

I mean I assumed that Walter fixes the water because otherwise everyone will die and no one is paying for it. It's not like he owns it. It's presumably existed for as long as Megaton has and that would be generations before him. Its owned by the people.

But survivors banding together and sharing property is a fairly common thing in post apocalypse media.

I mean I assumed that Walter fixes the water because otherwise everyone will die and no one is paying for it. It's not like he owns it. It's presumably existed for as long as Megaton has and that would be generations before him. Its owned by the people.

But survivors banding together and sharing property is a fairly common thing in post apocalypse media.
I agree this is the best explanation, but the problem is that it's not really directly reflected by anything in the game, it's only reflected by the absence of things. Megaton doesn't come across as a tightly-knit community like the oil drillers in the Road Warrior... in fact it doesn't come across as much of anything, other than a place where people who won't shoot the player on sight live.

I agree this is the best explanation, but the problem is that it's not really directly reflected by anything in the game, it's only reflected by the absence of things. Megaton doesn't come across as a tightly-knit community like the oil drillers in the Road Warrior... in fact it doesn't come across as much of anything, other than a place where people who won't shoot the player on sight live.

Really? Because I felt like they were definitely going for a Wild West town feel, nonsensical as that may be.

* Al Swearnegan saloon owner and brothel runner who is a crooked evil bastard
* His lovable harlots and put upon servant
* The Sheriff who is a law abiding good guy.
* The weird preacher who runs the local extremist church
* The perky general store owner.
* The local retired Bandit you can recruit

The thing about Fallout 3 is that it doesn't need to explain EVERYTHING, inference is fine and sometimes better to leave you to speculate, but it could certainly explain more.

Eh, I don't know that I disagree with this. Literally the first character you meet on your way into Megaton is a water beggar who will tell you how scarce water is in, and how they have water inside the city walls but for a steep price. And the fact that Megaton has water, but the purifier is on the pritz and threatening to break down, actually re-enforces the theme, that access to water is extremely fragile.

Don't misunderstand me here: While I disagree that Megaton contradicts the main plot, I think both of the two aspects were very poorly handled. The Water Beggars outside of the settlements are one of the only things in the setting that establishes the scarcity of water, and there are only like 3 of them. THere's also a couple of ghouls fighting over a fridge in one random encounter, but that's it. It's very easy to totally miss that the main conflict of the game is over water, people don't talk about it and it doesn't influence many things.

And the purifier storyline in Megaton is bad for the reasons you list. Why doesn't anyone care about the purifier other than Walter? Why isn't Walter rich? What authority is Walter under, why is he just supplying this municipality with water? The purifier is just taken as a given without any sense of how it's there or how it's really run. It exists purely to give a side objective that has something to do with water, without doing any of the legwork to actually build out the world and think through the relationships within it.

Pic related, New Reno's jail

latest
Pic isn’t showing for me. Let me guess, Golgotha?

Pic isn’t showing for me. Let me guess, Golgotha?
At least that would make sense, as New Reno is pretty lawless. That's not to say it doesn't have structure (in the form of the families), though I doubt they'd care what some Jet Head does (as long as the family or business isn't hurt).

Back