Fallout 2 mod Unofficial Fo2 patch thread - problems, reports, suggestions

I have a question about getting the ending where Vault City joins NCR. The requirements for it as per Fallout 2 without the unofficial patch are as follows:
Fix the power plant, kill the raiders and bring the account book or Bishop's holodisk to Lynette. (This ending is given if not getting 2 for any reason, e.g. Westin is dead or the reward picked up.)

I've read from post #10 on this page, https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/63576-fallout-2/58944674, that picking up the reward from Randal is fixed so that it won't fail the conditions for the ending where Vault City remains independent, but the author also mentions that the fix is not listed in the readme. So with the unofficial patch, does picking up the reward still have anything to do with the ending? If so, is it the opposite effect, i.e., picking the reward up is required for the independent ending? If the account book and Bishop's holodisk have been delivered, is it even possible to get the ending where Vault City joins NCR without killing Lynette or Westin? I couldn't find where the gvar, GVAR_ENDGAME_MOVE_VAULT_CITY, is set, and the handful of answers I could find weren't consistent.

Nearly all GVAR_ENDGAME_MOVIE_* gvars are set in Frank Horrigian's script, qcfrank.ssl.
And yes, the part of picking up the reward is fixed.

Just in case if anyone is interested, I set up a repo for UP script fixes on GitHub: https://github.com/NovaRain/FO2_UP_postfix
Currently I only implemented two fixes proposed by Darek in above posts and a couple of minor ones by myself. I might add some stuff from RP, like full implementation of Cult of Personality and Karma Beacon perks, that should be counted as a fix rather than RP-only content IMO.

Last edited:
I might add some stuff from RP, like full implementation of Cult of Personality and Karma Beacon perks, that should be counted as a fix rather than RP-only content IMO.

I say go for it, in the end they didnt show up because of bad code/bugs, right? :)

Hey, everybody! Long time no hear!

How's everyone doing? How are our ol' buddies, killap and Per?

I finally have the time to dive back into Fallout. I remember we were talking about some hard-coded bugs that cannot be fixed throughout any means; some of them were fixed over the years. I apologize for falling out of track like this, but what are the known bugs, a side from, of course, saving during combat, that are still present in the games? Just to know how to bypass them, like with the saving outside of combat...

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to ask but I have a question that's been nagging me for over 30 hours of gameplay now...
I'm playing FO2 for the first time with Killap's unnoficial patch 1.02.31 and everything's been outstanding so far. I just wanted to know if there's a way to change the inventory you can use the mouse scroll on so that I can easily browse vendors/NPCs/car trunk as I do with my own gear.

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place to ask but I have a question that's been nagging me for over 30 hours of gameplay now...
I'm playing FO2 for the first time with Killap's unnoficial patch 1.02.31 and everything's been outstanding so far. I just wanted to know if there's a way to change the inventory you can use the mouse scroll on so that I can easily browse vendors/NPCs/car trunk as I do with my own gear.

Go to the ddraw.ini and you'll find the option to turn on that feature there. I'm too lazy to boot up the pc to tell you what to look for exactly (I'm on my tablet).

It's at the top somewhere... I think. You'll be fine.

Edit: It's "UseScrollWheel=0" so set that to 1 and you're set. Mind you I'm using an older version of sfall compatible with ExaGear but it should be the same for your version as well.

Last edited:
Go to the ddraw.ini and you'll find the option to turn on that feature there. I'm too lazy to boot up the pc to tell you what to look for exactly (I'm on my tablet).

It's at the top somewhere... I think. You'll be fine.

Oh man that was fast.
The ddraw.ini is the one in the game folder or the one in the LocalAppData folder? I don't really know which one the game uses.
And since we're already here, is there a way to shorten longer the fade in/fade out animations the patch introduces? They're pretty slow, which can be grating after a while.

The ddraw.ini is the one in the game folder or the one in the LocalAppData folder? I don't really know which one the game uses.

Main game folder. If it's not already in notepad mode you'll have to set it to that before you can open it. Afterwards you can leave it like that.

And since we're already here, is there a way to shorten longer the fade in/fade out animations the patch introduces? They're pretty slow, which can be grating after a while.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You mean the fade in/out where the screen goes black? You'll have to check the ddraw.ini file and see if you can change it there. The file is very self-explanatory so don't sweat it. If the option is not there then I have no idea where you would change it.

Also, I did boot up my crappy pc and found the option for you. Check my first post.

Main game folder. If it's not already in notepad mode you'll have to set it to that before you can open it. Afterwards you can leave it like that.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You mean the fade in/out where the screen goes black? You'll have to check the ddraw.ini file and see if you can change it there. The file is very self-explanatory so don't sweat it. If the option is not there then I have no idea where you would change it.

Also, I did boot up my crappy pc and found the option for you. Check my first post.

Yes that's what I asked, thanks a bunch I'll check the file. Sorry I did phrase that very badly.

And I also saw the edit you made, thanks for that too.

Last edited:
Just one more thing: does this patch fix the "dead creatures block burst bullets" bug? I found a line about this on the ini but I feel like it's still busted in-game.
Either that or my Bozar keeps jamming on me.

Just one more thing: does this patch fix the "dead creatures block burst bullets" bug? I found a line about this on the ini but I feel like it's still busted in-game.
Either that or my Bozar keeps jamming on me.

Sfall should fix the issue if it's turned on in the ddraw.ini file. Check to see if it's set to =1 and not =0 in the ini file.

hey I was using this mod on for one of my games but then I downloaded fallout 2 on another computer and now it's saying that "the instruction at 004f11db refrenced memory at 00000010" could not be read from" if anyone can tell me what this is that would be very helpful

It seems the game is having problem at loading files from compressed files (probably the main .dat files). What OS does your other computer use, and what directory did you copy the game to? Also there might be a chance your game files corrupted.

It seems the game is having problem at loading files from compressed files (probably the main .dat files). What OS does your other computer use, and what directory did you copy the game to? Also there might be a chance your game files corrupted.
both use windows 10 and what do you mean by the directory if your talking about what im thinking about then its in fallout2 under steam in Program files X86

I'd suggest you to change it to some other directory like C:\Games\Fallout2, as Program Files is one of the directories with special permission in modern Windows.
i found my problem when I was putting my files into another file it looks like instead of putting the files for vault 13 in my save for fallout 2 I put the ones from fallout one in it instead so now I really have no idea what to do other then maybe taking the file from a save I didn't touch or going back to my back ups but how I can get to those while they're across the world is going to be a challenge but thanks for the help

Back