Unpopular Opinion and Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by R.Graves, Feb 21, 2017.

Is this poll pointless?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

11.7%
  3. INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR MEANINGFUL ANSWER

63.3%
  1. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    But Richard Doyle was a better Big Boss.

2. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010

In my headcanon, he is the voice of Big Boss, but Hayter is voice of Solid Snake. Although I found Hayter's delivery lackluster in basically anything past MGS2.

3. TorontoReign

TorontoReign ⛧卐⛧ [REDACTED]

Apr 1, 2005
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is the best Frankenstein movie.
    upload_2023-11-29_15-40-12.jpeg

4. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    I like Hayer's style for younger Snake, or if I'm in the mood for something more campy. His voice is too different from Snake's face in mgs5. Hayter still sounds like a young man trying to be gruff. Sutherland just has the gruffness naturally.
    Was he in 2 or 3? I never played 4.

Kinda excited for Snake Eater delta. Pushing two decades since I played it.

5. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Too bad faceless Chinamen are making it instead of a real dev.

6. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010
    Hayter's forced gruffness in MGS3 and MGS4 is what made me dislike him. He may have been spot on for Solid Snake in MGS1, but it became pretty apparent later on that the doesn't really have the range or real nuance to his voice acting. Compare voice acting in MGS3 between Japanese and English and it becomes pretty apparent how much emotion and character of Big Boss got lost thanks to Hayter's campy one note delivery.

With Sutherland it's a reverse situation. He has great range and is more than capable of bringing actual drama to his VA, but Venom is a borderline silent protagonist. Which might not be a bad thing in itself, given the thematic importance of language, vocal expression and silence in MGS5 (also well contrasted with Ground Zeroes).
    Still, I kinda wish we could have heard more of him. His voice just goes perfectly with the character.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  7. mobucks

mobucks President of racism. Orderite

May 22, 2010
    I find the forced gruffness charming, like Batmin.
    MGSV was such a let down though. If they had the money to cast a great VA for Snake they should have bet all their chips but instead they walked away from the table early.

8. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010

MGSV had a troubled production due to a strife between Kojima and Konami, which ended with his departure.

That being said, I very much like and appreciate MGSV. Although unfinished, it managed to tell it's tale rather well, with some rough edges and dumb cleavage.

9. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    MGSV with Infinite Heaven is the best Metal Gear game.

10. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010
    Infinite War, Infinite Heaven.

11. Ape Fighting Vehicle

Ape Fighting Vehicle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 15, 2022
    Frosting on cinnamon buns is overrated.

12. mobucks

mobucks President of racism. Orderite

May 22, 2010
    Woah cool I had no idea there were mods for MGSV.

13. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    Dude....

https://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp

Most of them are textures but Infinite Heaven is the way to make the game harder and more real.

14. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    Game really needed some co-op for that Big Boss and the Boys action like in Peace Walker.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  15. Atomkilla

Dec 26, 2010
    No thing in gaming will ever surpass kidnapping sheep with balloons in Afghanistan.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  16. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    I miss the little animations of snake eating that were in 3.

17. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    The Fallout show will do well despite online butthurt from fans that don't matter because whether they use the old power armor or the new is irrelevant to 90 percent of the fucking population.

18. Morgan_

Morgan_ Duckerz

Jul 3, 2020
    I like the T-60 best out of the non-Enclave armor.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  19. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    I mean fanboys are the worst to please. They could build a real power armor and people would say it looks fake.

I know this because people on youtube say IED footage looks fake when it is real.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  20. Sn1p3r187

Sn1p3r187 Carolinian Shaolin Monk

Apr 7, 2014
    Not so much an unpopular opinion. But me and my friend had a discussion the other day after doing a D&D campaign correlating raw damage and criticals irl. Criticals are like being shot with a .22 in the collarbone...Only to know that the bullet traveled downward to someone's heart and promptly fragmented. They don't look that injured but then they take two steps and fall over dead. Raw damage is more obvious- Eating every round from an AK-47. The damage looks severe but it didn't pierce any vital organs or arteries but more they're more likely to die from exsanguination or the resulting infection. He told me at least in D&D going for raw damage classes were more viable than critical based stuff just because criticals were determined by dice rolls and they were rare. Lest Fallout's luck system changed something and made critical based characters