Unpopular Opinion and Discussion thread

Is this poll pointless?

• Total voters
Does no one else use this forum on a phone? I don't know what the site is supposed to look like on desktop. Nothing has changed on mobile.
It depends on the browser. Firefox warns you once and then the site works fine. Chrome on the other hand is really upset about the missing certificate.

Idk if this is much of an unpopular opinion. Godzilla Minus One may have just broken Hollywood. On top of that they got nominated for an Oscar. I hope they win, because that'll be the second time in American history that a foreign film gets nominated for an Oscar. The first time was "Parasite". Because if more foreign films get nominated for the future, it'll finally break the american stranglehold over film media and make Hollywood actually consider writing good movies with strong plots for once instead of trying to push an agenda. I really hope the Minus One crew win. On top of that, I'm gonna see it in theaters this weekend.

This isn't about the thread at all, I just wanted to post this picture of Todd looking sad at the game awards where he won nothing for Starfield:
+_4e329028893aaae6d8372d6314d9e768.jpg

It feels pretty nice honestly. Their shitty game got the reception it deserved, didn't sell as well as they thought it would, and the game didn't win a single award at TGA, even if i don't give a shit about the TGA. You know Todd is hurting inside because a lot of people are starting to drop out of the Bethesda's bandwagon, specially with other developers doing the same shit as Bethesda but better. Basically Bethesda's novelty is no longer theirs.

It might seem mean-spirited to want someone else to fail, but we don't need more shitty Bethesda games.

It feels pretty nice honestly. Their shitty game got the reception it deserved, didn't sell as well as they thought it would, and the game didn't win a single award at TGA, even if i don't give a shit about the TGA. You know Todd is hurting inside because a lot of people are starting to drop out of the Bethesda's bandwagon, specially with other developers doing the same shit as Bethesda but better. Basically Bethesda's novelty is no longer theirs.

It might seem mean-spirited to want someone else to fail, but we don't need more shitty Bethesda games.
Even while being well-meaning, one would want Bethesda to fail, because they're been having good times for so long, they became weak, thus creating hard times, which now will force them to improve.

So when the fuck did people start giving a shit about Oscars?
It's more of an annoyance than a real issue. Seeing shit movies win due to sjw points is lame but it is where the world is currently so no use whining.

Oh i got one- The worst enemies in any rpg are always gonna be ones that get bonus actions and never run out of stamina and proceed to spam special moves. Basically any enemy that decides to be a machine gun. I used to think OHKO or high crit enemies were the worst. But the aforementioned move spammers infuriate me

Oh i got one- The worst enemies in any rpg are always gonna be ones that get bonus actions and never run out of stamina and proceed to spam special moves. Basically any enemy that decides to be a machine gun. I used to think OHKO or high crit enemies were the worst. But the aforementioned move spammers infuriate me
so... all of elden ring? the souls games have lost all of their original appeal and its all been replaced with copy pasted dungeons and the same enemies over and over going absolutelty spastic and spamming their special beam canons

I like Elden Ring but I hate how much of what Graves said is true. It was probably the first negative about the game I pointed out (that being how the bosses feel spam heavy) and he copy pasted mini dungeons are a bit whatever to me but I get how it feels shit to see that I guess.
Funny thing is, Souls games just like to reuse shit no matter how "big" they are. And maybe only Demon's Souls is the one I can't easily think of a boss being reused as a boss or world enemy. I think maybe just the tutorial boss showing up later is the easiest thing I could point to.

• Dark Souls has three Asylum Demons (Stray Demon and Demon Firesage) bosses with some different moves. Capra Demon felt unique but then you go to the worst area of the game and there's tons of them, alongside Taurus Demons.
  • Dark Souls II has those gank fights of essentially common enemies stuck in a room together with you, Sif + normal sized rat friends, the Dragonrider then later the Dragonrider and his friend who loves archery, DLC adds a blue version of Smelter Demon, another DLC has a boss then if you go to an optional secret area after beating it you get to fight it again with a friend. Not to mention, despite all of these games reusing old boss designs, Dark Souls II goes ahead and adds in literal Ornstein but without Smough in its game and instead of two Belfry Gargoyles, what if there were six!
  • Dark Souls III has your tutorial boss in a hidden section but without turning into a giant anime death snake thing, the Deacons of the Deep are just a bunch of common enemies in a room with you (very much a DS2 feeling fight), and Crystal Sage shows up again to piss you off until you chase it and kill it and it doesn't respawn thankfully.
  • Bloodborne has this more in the Chalice Dungeons where you'll see the same bosses again but usually now with the challenge of only having half of your health (doesn't seem all that interesting and mostly isn't but suddenly one of the easiest boss fights in the game became very difficult whereas others were hard either way from what I remember). Otherwise you mostly just see Cleric Beast but fiery in the DLC.
  • Sekiro feels like the first one to really do the "this boss but it exists in multiple variations in this game" thing. The Headless is mostly what I'm referring to but there's so many minibosses in this game and some are unique and some are beefed up common enemies. Then there's variations of previous bossfights or bosses that you don't actually kill or you go back in a memory to fight a variation of.
Not to mention all the weapons, boss designs themselves (even beyond Royal Rat Authority being Sif but with friends), levels, level connections, etc have probably been reused at some point.
Old Monk's main feature of its fight has been redone in Dark Souls II's Looking Glass Knight and Dark Souls III's Halflight Spear of the Church. There's so many things like this throughout these games that I'm probably not even halfway there word count wise.

While it is a fair criticism, reuse has been pretty prevalent in these games. Some of it is reusing something fans really liked and some of it is trying to refine an idea to make it work properly. Some of it is also probably just to pad out the amount of content with less work/time involved. I don't think it should come as a shock that Elden Ring, the biggest Souls game content-wise, would reuse shit. They've reused shit for less.

What I do truly dislike that the bosses are so spam heavy. Before I beat it, I told my other friend who was also about as far as I was progress wise that I felt like I was playing Dark Souls III and half the bosses were playing Sekiro. I get they likely upped the ante because you can travel to so many places and get overpowered and so many players have already beaten their previous games so this one needs to be a bit harder but I'm not sure this was the way to do it. Some boss fights felt good, some felt downright awful, and some go from fine to "I'm losing the fight so now I will flail mercilessly and you will need to leave this area!"

I really want to go play Elden Ring again but, I really don't want to deal with some of those awful bosses. I know I could just learn them perfectly to beat them but it doesn't feel the same as the earlier games where if I got hit, even on a new move, it usually felt like I could have at least seen it coming. That's not to say there aren't bullshit moments in the older games but Elden Ring really upped the bullshit count.

Back