Unsurprisingly, Duke Nukem Forever reviews are negative

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    What is the game you are talking about? DNF repeated something from 20 years ago exactly the same way?

2. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I just finished the game and it isn't bad. The 2-weapon limit didn't bother me at all, despite my reservations and I enjoyed the shooting in general.

The weapon limit might not bother me because I kept Duke's custom M1911 as my sidearm, with the primary weapon swapped out for whatever was available.

It felt like a dumbed down version of Duke 3D, which is about the best thing that can be said about it.

3. jamotide

jamotide First time out of the vault

Feb 22, 2010
    And yet this Duke already sold half a million copies, pretty incredible for a 2/10 game,right?

4. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes, but it's pathetic considering what the game was supposed to be and how long George Brussard kept working on it.

5. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    In its third week DNF sales dropped off the planet. They're not even close to breaking 1 million. At this time after release AvP3 had sold more than twice as many copies and Sega officially didn't find that good enough to continue support with patches or DLC, and canceled the proposed followup.

DNF is not a huge flop, but is a flop nonetheless.

6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    well you have always to simply ask your self one thing. Are the sales enough to get profit ?

if you spend only very few in production then even 300 000 sold units can be enough.

I guess 500 000 would have never been enough for 3D Realms. But I don't know at when point Gearbox has picked up and how much of their own work is in the game.

So it might be a "financial" success for them after all

7. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    You need to factor in the millions they spent acquiring the license and the millions they spent hyping the game in events around the world. The fact they didn't know the game was so terrible and would fail so badly erases all hope for the future of the franchise and the credibility of the companies involved.

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    sounds like god news though. I would love to see new games rather then always a "rebot" or the 10th sequel ...