Weapons in Fallout 4?

Hey, at least it has 2mm EC ammo again and doesn't just fire magic pixie dust via fusion cells.
God yes, that blue shockwave effect or whatever it was in New Vegas was just awful. I don't know how it feels to fire in F4, but I hope it's less "magically blowing you away", and more "Isaac Newton stomping a hole in your torso".

I do like the Gauss Rifle design, and I'm aiming to use it as I approach end-game. I'm slightly concerned that it's going to be based on some stupid RNG drop rate instead of getting it from a quest or finding it in a dungeon.

Hey, at least it has 2mm EC ammo again and doesn't just fire magic pixie dust via fusion cells.
God yes, that blue shockwave effect or whatever it was in New Vegas was just awful. I don't know how it feels to fire in F4, but I hope it's less "magically blowing you away", and more "Isaac Newton stomping a hole in your torso".

I test fired it on some settlers. It has no interesting effect. You shoot them and they basically drop dead as if you were using any other ballistic weapon. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I hoped maybe it would let you hurt two enemies at the time if they lined up, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

I do like the Gauss Rifle design, and I'm aiming to use it as I approach end-game. I'm slightly concerned that it's going to be based on some stupid RNG drop rate instead of getting it from a quest or finding it in a dungeon.

You can buy a special one from a merchant/veteran that appears after you retake The Castle for the Minutemen and do a quest for her, she is an old soldier who unlocks the armory and gives you access to a certain... toy.
To activate her quest you need to talk to Garvey, preferably outside the castle I think. He will tell you that someone(the merchant/veteran) is waiting for you at The Castle.

The new designs of the Gauss Rifle and Gatling Laserare pretty ugly too. They barely even look like how they looked before, they look crudely put together... which is a whole problem with the general design of the guns in this game.

Last edited:

The shockwave thing was because they used Fallout 3 assets. The shockwave itself was based on Fallout Tactics.

I really dug the service rifle from New Vegas. The AR family of rifles were space age creations of the 50's and the original AR10 prototype which led to the subsequent AR15 and M16 would have fit perfectly into this game stylistically, I think as the Assault Rifle, rather than the WWI styled Vickers-like gun we got.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Julia-AR-10-38-right.jpg
    Julia-AR-10-38-right.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,085
It wouldn't fit, because it looks like an actual gun instead of a club to bludgeon someone with. Seriously, almost ALL weapons in F4 look at least two times heavier than appropriate.
Gauss Rifle weights around 20 pounds... Seriously, that's the pinnacle of ballistic weaponry? A 20 pound piece of scrap with a bunch of copper wires on spools? Ridiculous!

It wouldn't fit, because it looks like an actual gun instead of a club to bludgeon someone with. Seriously, almost ALL weapons in F4 look at least two times heavier than appropriate. Gauss Rifle weights around 20 pounds... Seriously, that's the pinnacle of ballistic weaponry? A 20 pound piece of scrap with a bunch of copper wires on spools? Ridiculous!

I don't really have any experience with the GECK, but if nobody else does it at some point I'll probably try to make a mod that decreases the weight of all the guns

has anyone used a minigun I just put all 500 rounds into a supermutant master on normal to kill him and it even had the trigun extra damage mod...

has anyone used a minigun I just put all 500 rounds into a supermutant master on normal to kill him and it even had the trigun extra damage mod...
They are ridiculously weak. Took me the entire 1500 rounds to kill the Deathclaw in Concord, on Survival (much, much easier to just build some turrets in Red Rocket, lure it there and let them do it).

I have a mod in mind that will fix all of this, but it will take some time to do (think Requiem for Skyrim).

Magnus Weapon mod for Fallout 4!!!

Even in NV and 3, the miniguns are underwhelming. Hell, they felt weak in F2 as well. I think the only game that got the damage/weight/health aspect of weapons and enemies was Fallout 1. All of the other games seem to have a lot of bullet sponge enemies.

I actually play on Very Easy, but use the console to lower my HP to about 75 or so. It seems to be a fair compromise for the most part, except that my companions do shit damage since they seem to be scaled down with the enemies. I think Piper goes through about 50 fusion cells every time we encounter a fucking mole rat. And this is with a fully modified Laser Rifle.

I'm ready for mods. Fallout 4 needs them almost as bad as 3 did.

I actually play on Very Easy, but use the console to lower my HP to about 75 or so. It seems to be a fair compromise for the most part, except that my companions do shit damage since they seem to be scaled down with the enemies. I think Piper goes through about 50 fusion cells every time we encounter a fucking mole rat. And this is with a fully modified Laser Rifle.
This is interesting, because I play on Survival, and I've found that Codsworth tears Raider Psychos apart in one hit, so I just let him roll with the punches while I twiddle thumbs in a Pulowski shelter. I've seen him take on a Yao Guai and win.

I was thinking of getting the mod that makes enemies less bullet spongy, but I wonder if that'll impact him negatively somehow.

I really dug the service rifle from New Vegas. The AR family of rifles were space age creations of the 50's and the original AR10 prototype which led to the subsequent AR15 and M16 would have fit perfectly into this game stylistically, I think as the Assault Rifle, rather than the WWI styled Vickers-like gun we got.

attachment.php
The AR-10 is nice, but the caliber for it is overkill and the recoil on that baby is bad on full auto. Enough that you'd take that bulky World War I styled assault rifle and fight. But I wouldn't go that far. They should've brought back the R91 assault rifle from Fallout 4 or used a semi and fully automatic service rifle from FNV. Considering we don't know which weapon was actually standard issue in the military before the war. But I'll put my money on the service rifle or R91.

r0b0wnz ;
Unfortunately, the F4 Minigun uses 5mm bullets, which have the lowest damage per bullet value. This isn't much of a problem vs normal foes (enemies generally come in 6 varieties unarmoured, light, medium, heavy, tank, drednaught (mirelurk shell, deathclaw face and so on) ) but when you meet armoured and extra armoured enemies, the damage of the minigun just fizzles even if you have an armor-piercing variant...

10mm spam is much more effective vs armoured foes than minigun :(

r0b0wnz ;
Unfortunately, the F4 Minigun uses 5mm bullets, which have the lowest damage per bullet value. This isn't much of a problem vs normal foes (enemies generally come in 6 varieties unarmoured, light, medium, heavy, tank, drednaught (mirelurk shell, deathclaw face and so on) ) but when you meet armoured and extra armoured enemies, the damage of the minigun just fizzles even if you have an armor-piercing variant...

10mm spam is much more effective vs armoured foes than minigun :(
Wait a minute, does the ammo actually matter in this game? I thought it was only the weapon damage that made any difference. Do guns get different perceived damage or armor penetration if you rechamber them, even if their listed damage is the same?

Have you guys tried out the modded Cryolator? That thing is... Well, it's brutal. Because your standard limb-popping gore is not enough, now you basically shatter enemies into pieces because... I don't know because what.
I miss the critical shots from Fallout 2...

I miss unique weapons from NV. They actually had individual designs and were actually, y'know, unique

Instead we get Borderlands-esque "Extended Powerful Scoped Rifle" with "+15% damage on Mirelurks". Instead of finding a nicely designed weapon with a quirky name and interesting design, we get something spat out by the RNG machine.

Back