Weapons in Fallout 4?

Can't use a powerfist in power armor, yeah that's a thing.
You're joking right? Then again power armor falls apart because it's made from aluminum cans. That's a thing apparently. Oh I forgot about the pathetic minigun, Fallout 1and 2 it shreds poor bastards but in this game it tickles them. Maybe it's because people don't know their own physiology.
The minigun is a joke. It may seem good during that one mission at Concord, but once you get to any level higher than 6 it becomes nothing more than scrap-for-caps.

I thought it already sucked when I was using it against the first Deathclaw in the game, using every round I had and its health bar only went down part way. Balancing goes out the window when it comes to Bethesda games.
I don't know exactly when I found it, but I estimate somewhere around 20 or 25 levels ago I found an enchanted shotgun that had an exploding ammo enchantment on it, and that basically broke the entire game. I don't even need another weapon at this point, although that Flamer of Freezing sounds mighty nice.

You're joking right? Then again power armor falls apart because it's made from aluminum cans. That's a thing apparently. Oh I forgot about the pathetic minigun, Fallout 1and 2 it shreds poor bastards but in this game it tickles them. Maybe it's because people don't know their own physiology.
The minigun is a joke. It may seem good during that one mission at Concord, but once you get to any level higher than 6 it becomes nothing more than scrap-for-caps.

I thought it already sucked when I was using it against the first Deathclaw in the game, using every round I had and its health bar only went down part way. Balancing goes out the window when it comes to Bethesda games.
I don't know exactly when I found it, but I estimate somewhere around 20 or 25 levels ago I found an enchanted shotgun that had an exploding ammo enchantment on it, and that basically broke the entire game. I don't even need another weapon at this point, although that Flamer of Freezing sounds mighty nice.
This
I found the shotgun and pistol and rifle that all had that 15 explosive effect , shit did they ever break my game.

This
I found the shotgun and pistol and rifle that all had that 15 explosive effect , shit did they ever break my game.
I end up selling any magic weapons since they have the secondary enchantment of not being able to be taken apart. The counterpart to the minigun is the op gattling laser, since it uses fusion cores it almost never runs out of ammo, balance FTW.

edit: So apparently you can enchant your PA to do unarmed damage which is why you cant equip a powerfist, I also read you are able to do electrical damage with it too, sounds like bullshit but who knows.

Last edited:
It's the tesla coil upgrade for the chest piece I think, which will cause electrical damage to enemies.

I have only played Fallout 4 and this is what I have noticed about weight of the gun:
The heavier the gun, the more difficult it is to aim and the worse its recoil.
When you have the gun drawn your walking/running speed decreases, I do not know if the speed decreases promotional to the gun's weight.
I also found minigun useless in the first Deathclaw fight. It was stuck in this sewage hole and emptied my whole ammo into it. At least from close range it did nothing. I had to use a ballistic rifle (forget which one) to finish it off.

Last edited:
The minigun is fucking useless because the recoil in it incredibly high and each individual bullet only does scratch damage.

I had a special minigun that fire enchatment, at least one rank in the heavy guns perk and a mod that increased the damage of miniguns by 50% and they still did jack shit.

Combat rifles are waaaaaaaaaaay better in the dps ratio and this is just ridiculous.

The minigun is fucking useless because the recoil in it incredibly high and each individual bullet only does scratch damage.

I had a special minigun that fire enchatment, at least one rank in the heavy guns perk and a mod that increased the damage of miniguns by 50% and they still did jack shit.

Combat rifles are waaaaaaaaaaay better in the dps ratio and this is just ridiculous.

I hate it how one of the most coolest and arguably dangerous weapons is utter crap.

I love how Bethesda was able to implement a system that is so much worse than New Vegas'. I mean, the mods for weapons in NV isn't ideal, but it wasn't that bad. They just included a shit ton of mods that are locked behind perks/levels, that's real fun. Not to mention that there's far less base weapons in 4 than NV. New Vegas had a wide variety of weapons for every single build, and unique and non-unique weapons were both really useful. The unique weapons were actually fucking unique and not just the same weapon but with a different damage modifier. I guess Legendary weapons were their answer for unique weapons, and it's a laughable shitty borderlands gimmick.

I used a Double-Barrel shotgun with explosive damage for the majority of the entire game and I couldn't be killed. The only time I would actually get damaged is when I used the gun in close quarters. Weapons in FO4 are shit, just like the entire game is shit.

This

I can't underestimate how much this pissed me off as an NV Gun Runner's Arsenal player. If you get an AMR and a boatload of caps, you can buy some expensive-ass exploding .50 caliber rounds. I think they're like 25 caps per shot or something like that; with the rest of GRA, they provide a great way to blow all your end-game caps. If you get a sneak critical with these bad boys, the damage is amazing, and because you can only buy them/get an AMR/afford them at a very high level, they don't feel broken. They also weigh a ton if you're using the JSawyer realitsic ammo mod (or hardcore mode) so you can't just load up on them. One of my favorite moments was doing a non-Wild Wasteland mode and getting the YCS Gauss Riffle by one-shotting the entire mercenary gang with a well-placed explosive .50 round from a huge distance away.

Fallout 4? "Here's an explosive gun." No ammo customization, no balance, no AMR. You can have a pea-shooter with explosive rounds. The legendary weapons were so utterly meaningless (and useless) that is destroyed any kind of in-game logical consistency. God forbid we actually have a balanced weapon economy like NV or the ability to pour experience/skillpoints into repair and smith our own ammo (itself time-consuming and expensive, but very rewarding). NV even let you smith shotgun ammo with Caesar's Legion currency as the buckshot so you could add a personal touch to killing them. Sigh...

This

I can't underestimate how much this pissed me off as an NV Gun Runner's Arsenal player. If you get an AMR and a boatload of caps, you can buy some expensive-ass exploding .50 caliber rounds. I think they're like 25 caps per shot or something like that; with the rest of GRA, they provide a great way to blow all your end-game caps. If you get a sneak critical with these bad boys, the damage is amazing, and because you can only buy them/get an AMR/afford them at a very high level, they don't feel broken. They also weigh a ton if you're using the JSawyer realitsic ammo mod (or hardcore mode) so you can't just load up on them. One of my favorite moments was doing a non-Wild Wasteland mode and getting the YCS Gauss Riffle by one-shotting the entire mercenary gang with a well-placed explosive .50 round from a huge distance away.

Fallout 4? "Here's an explosive gun." No ammo customization, no balance, no AMR. You can have a pea-shooter with explosive rounds. The legendary weapons were so utterly meaningless (and useless) that is destroyed any kind of in-game logical consistency. God forbid we actually have a balanced weapon economy like NV or the ability to pour experience/skillpoints into repair and smith our own ammo (itself time-consuming and expensive, but very rewarding). NV even let you smith shotgun ammo with Caesar's Legion currency as the buckshot so you could add a personal touch to killing them. Sigh...

You can use Legion cash for buckshoot? Wow.

This

And some people say the only thing good about NV is the writing. Can we all just acknowledge that NV is far superior to 3 and 4 in every fucking aspect?

Damn, I miss NV's weapons. Looking at 4 now especially at low levels, all I see are the butt ugly pipe guns everywhere. We're talking about 'Murica, the land of guns, so where are the other types of guns? It looks like some home-made shit, and yet we can't even craft one at the workbench. That's some logic. FO4 has a severe lack of gun variety, and making is moddable is no excuse. NV has weapon mods too. Also, why are all the guns in 4 so fugly??

Damn, I miss NV's weapons. Looking at 4 now especially at low levels, all I see are the butt ugly pipe guns everywhere. We're talking about 'Murica, the land of guns, so where are the other types of guns? It looks like some home-made shit, and yet we can't even craft one at the workbench. That's some logic. FO4 has a severe lack of gun variety, and making is moddable is no excuse. NV has weapon mods too. Also, why are all the guns in 4 so fugly??

It's all about the 50's. None of those guns would look out of place in the 50's, because obviously Fallout takes place in the 50's! :grin:

They cut the Chinese Assault Rifle, so there's that too. Considering how stiff the animations still are, they could've just reskinned some of the FO3 or NV weapons, but they didn't. I wonder why?

Also, what's the goddamn limit to the amount of quote boxes you can use? The reply above has seven. We keep going, and NMA is going to break forum records one day.

Those weapons aren't even inspired by 50s technology. Hey, even 16th century musket look technologically more advanced than FO4 weaponry. I supposed that Bethesda don't have any idea how firearms work.

Then I think it's not so unrealistic to have so many pipe rifle, rather than pre-war weapon based on real firearms. I mean, you wouldn't expect that 200 years after the bombs fell that there will be any pre-war weapon who would be still functional and spare part to repair them, or people who know how to manufacture them.

What surprise me is the lack of blacksmith. There is so many iron and steel left right and left in the wasteland, and no town or village have someone to smelt it to produce tool for farming or construction. There ought to be somebody who would think that they shouldn't let all this good ore left to rust.

Then I think it's not so unrealistic to have so many pipe rifle, rather than pre-war weapon based on real firearms. I mean, you wouldn't expect that 200 years after the bombs fell that there will be any pre-war weapon who would be still functional and spare part to repair them, or people who know how to manufacture them.

It´s not strange for so many weapons to still be functional. People have left weapons abandoned to the elements for large amounts of time and they still work after that (the ak 47 comes to mind).

And itsn´t odd that so many weapons lying around considering it´s in the U.S and all these firearms are from a period here gung-ho patriotism has at his highest.

But speaking of oddities concerning the game´s weapons isn´t ridicule how the combat rifle and shotgun use the same exact model?

The big problem as far as I can read, are not the weapons, they can indeed work even after quite a long time, I mean seriously, you have some weapon collectors owning guns from the civil war era or the napoleonic times, and they still work! Or weapons from WW1 and WW2. They can take quite some punishment.

The real problem seems to be the amunition, partiicularly the powder, or what ever propelant is used. In most cases even with perfect condition, it might hold only for a couple of years. Decade or so at best.

Back