What is the most addictive video game you've ever played?

ultima online was the most devastating addiction. it took a strong hold of my teen life and i left it there. i later came back to it in my mid 20s and it sunk it's teeth deep into my brain. never again.

right now im playing an obscene amount of war of the roses. i have about 700 hours in it.

I agree with you there stranger, I was addicted to Ultima Online back in the day - even now I find myself considering a dive back into a player run shard.

That being said, the game I have sunk the most time into is Hearts of Iron 2 and it's various deviations (there are a number of remakes/rebuilds of the game). I don't think I've ever even seen a game through to fruition, I just love building up my country (normally either Germany or Japan, though I once dominated as France and eventually ended up in a huge war with the Soviets) and steam rolling through my enemies. Of course I then eventually get bogged down and being the perfectionist in that game that I am, I end up restarting. Madness.

I agree with you there stranger, I was addicted to Ultima Online back in the day - even now I find myself considering a dive back into a player run shard.

I always feel kinda bad for recommending this server to ex-addicts of UO but UO Second Age is a great server if you're from the T2A era of UO and want that nostalgia. No trammel included. It's all legit stuff, no donation items or custom colors or anything, they've striven to be a perfect replica of that era and have done stunning work in capturing it.

Ah yes, I was in fact recommending UO Second Age to mobucks over in tO forum the other day. If one is going to play a player run shard, it should be that one in my opinion.

Hmm...

Fallout New Vegas, maybe. I played it for like 51 times or so.

This. Granted, I tend to compulsively re-roll characters in RPGs... >_<

Also, FTL - I can't count how many times I've said "Okay, just one more jump" only to wind up playing for another five hours.

Tropico 4 - Tropico took me by surprise, I was hooked on it for about month non stop. I love when you fire up a game on a whim and bam! You have a new fave.

Fallout New Vegas - Obviously.

WoW - Pre Cataclysm I played that game hardcore. Never returned.

The other day I noticed something: I've logged 533 hours into Killing Floor. I've always thought of the game as a 6.5/10, if that. So there you have it.

I was addicted to Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood for a long time.

My worst addiction came along though with Lord of the Rings online; I'd play it for 6-12 hours a day every day for almost 2 years. Then I decided I wanted to be with a woman again and left it behind.

I was addicted to Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood for a long time.

My worst addiction came along though with Lord of the Rings online; I'd play it for 6-12 hours a day every day for almost 2 years. Then I decided I wanted to be with a woman again and left it behind.

Relationships are overrated.

Also, definitely still Diablo III for me. I had to uninstall it again yesterday.

No question, no contest, Dota 2.

Unlike MMOs which I considered great and addicting, Dota 2 delivers its dose of addiction in bite-sized nibbles so you can come and go at your leisure. Unlike the older model of most games, it's free, so I never feel compelled to stay because I "need to get my money's worth", but rather I can't get away from it because it's so goddamned good and so absolutely cathartic and thrilling. Unlike single-player-driven games which hinge upon a compelling narrative to get me to come back (like Fallout), Dota 2 is all about the multiplayer, and it's the competitive aspect of the game that warrants playing it over and over and over again. Like a great game of Starcraft, the better you get at it, the more there is to see, the more you'll keep coming back.

I've been playing DotA for over a decade now- granted, it's been largely off and on, but that's still 10+ years of playing a game, telling myself I was done with it and "quitting", only to just come back, tail between legs, ready to get dished some more punishment. That's pure, unadulterated addiction right there, in concentrated, brilliantly designed, video game form. =)

Did you get started playing it back when it was just a Warcraft 3 map? I know a guy that worked on the Defense Of The Ancients team, when it was just in Warcraft 3. It was weird to see it become its own game.

Did you get started playing it back when it was just a Warcraft 3 map? I know a guy that worked on the Defense Of The Ancients team, when it was just in Warcraft 3. It was weird to see it become its own game.
I know I shouldn't be mean, but you'll have to forgive me for wanting to virtually smack you. I mean, practically daily exposure to some of the nastiest, most spiteful, childish antics on the internet, and I just get tired of questions that should be obvious. Yes, of COURSE I played it back when it was a WC3 custom map. I did say I'd been playing it for over a decade, and back then (only up till 2011, in fact) it's been a WC3 map. Sure, for a couple years in-between Defense of the Ancients and Dota 2 there was HoN and LoL to bridge the gap, but I'd just refer to them as "An ARTS/MOBA (respectively) game based on Dota", not Dota. =) I was playing it back when it was a Reign of Chaos mod, and back then I fucking hated it. I hated it up till late 2005, even, but I finally warmed up to it and officially designated myself as "addicted" by late 2006. I could easily count Dota as a main contributing factor to my dropping out of my Fall semester in 2006. Played too many games when I should've been going to classes... >_<

But I'm not joking or utilizing hyperbole when I say "I've lost count of how many times I've quit the game"; I really have no idea how many times I've tried to quit, only to simply come crawling back. It's just TOO GOOD!!! As much as I loved a couple particular MMOs to the point that it caused serious anxiety to attempt to tear myself away from them, ultimately one of the bigger factors that made it so difficult was the fact that I was paying $30 every 3 months for the service, and I felt compelled to make the most of that investment. While I was absolutely head-over-heels in love with GTAV, I had enough of it after about 3 months, and while I keep telling myself that I really had fun and I ought to pick it back up... I just haven't. But Dota? Times like when it was affecting my studies, or times like when the caustic community worsened my depression, or many other countless times like those simply left me thinking to myself, "Y'know, I'm done. Been a great ride, but I'm quitting!" But there's never been any other game like Dota that pulls me back in with its amazing gameplay. To be honest, I hate the gameplay in New Vegas. I fucking love the GAME, but I wish it was attached to an entirely different engine. I adore the totality of both FO1 and FO2, but I can't really say it's because of the gameplay. I enjoy it, but I'd be lying if I tried to say that the gameplay hasn't aged poorly at all. I keep coming back to the Fallout games for reasons besides the gameplay, and the series as a whole comes at a decently close second right behind Dota in terms of addiction. But second, nonetheless.

Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas :D I didnt like Fallout tactics

Agreed; we must narrow down your addiction if there's any hope of treatment.

;)

For me, it's Diablo III, hands down, no contest. I don't know what it is about the game, but I could literally play it 24/7 and probably never get bored of it. And I do, which is why I had to uninstall it.

What about you?

Would you play it more online, or off?

For me, it's Diablo III, hands down, no contest. I don't know what it is about the game, but I could literally play it 24/7 and probably never get bored of it. And I do, which is why I had to uninstall it.

What about you?

Would you play it more online, or off?

If this is what you're asking -- if they suddenly decided to remove Battle.net and all networking support for Diablo III, i would probably play it less. The social aspect has its own motivators to play longer, such as runs, joining people when they find cool events, etc.

I'm not for sure on that though; it could end up being the same :shrug:

Back