What is your stance on Achievements?

lugaru

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
Personally I hate it when you get one for finishing a chapter, but I love it when you get one of doing something weird, crazy or creative. That is why I really dislike the GFWL ones but I love the Steam ones, especially in Left 4 Dead. I think they did a great job with Team Fortress 2 as well, although forcing you to grind through them to unlock stuff was a bad idea.

In the end I dont really collect them and rarely check to see if I'm missing a bunch, but when I have an 'oh shit' moment and an achievement with a funny name pops up going 'yeah, that was pretty awesome' well it really makes me smile.

Not a big fan of them, always seen them as a cheap gimmick to (sadly) make people keep playing. Never needed some score or flag to let me know I did something cool, but everything's gotta be quantized with people today.

One of the worst use of them has to be in WoW, given that community they didn't need to add another way to be judged heh.

They are ok, some of them are pretty cool and say a lot about you as a player. To get your Platinum trophy in Warhawk it takes normal people something like a years worth of playtime and getting it is a status symbol.

Same kind of deal with other games as well. In Killzone 2 when the first honor ranks went in I got the top 1% of worldwide players ribbon. In random games and stuff I was having people talk to me about it over voice chat and send me messages on PSN congratulating me.
Not a huge deal but I can see how some people would get into that type of stuff.

I like to collect them but I do not stress over it. A good example for me would be inFAMOUS. There is a trophy for collecting all 350 blast shards. For those not familiar with the game they are little blue orbs that can be found anywhere in the city. The game being an open world sandbox game it is you can understand how this gets tedious.
Right now I only have 4 shards left but I am not holding my breath on finding them anytime soon.

I love Achievments/trophies...nowdays i have became such a trophie whore that i simply refuse to play a game that doesn't have any.

Well, achievements are fine, but I tend to ingore them because most are boring, munchkin shit. I prefer the games where the devs put some more effort to give the game lasting effects, like side-quests and such. I mean, FFIX had no achievements, but I spent hours upon hours to find all the "treasures". Beats achievements any time.

I think they add a lot of replay value to games, when done right. I don't see a point in achievements that you get for just playing or completing a chapter. I also absolutely hate achievements that require grinding. I prefer them to be in-game challenges rather than just things to do, if you know what I mean.

Left 4 Dead wouldn't be half as much fun for me without achievmenets. Halo 3 and COD4 had good achievements as well. Usually, puzzle games have the best achievements though.

Most are boring or take far too much grinding. But occasionally you get cool ones like 'Sopranos' or 'Aww Nuts!' from Saint's Row 2.

I can live with achievements to a certain point. I hate when developers decide to put stupidedly over-detailed and near impossible achievements in a game, like at four'o'clock in the morning saly 20 and a half man on CoD4 on LIVE using only some noodles and a rusted cup.

I guess I have a sort of love/hate relationship with achivements.

I totally agree about grinding ones. If you need to collect 100 of something, kill 1000 of something or reach a score of 10,000... then screw it, I ignore it completely.

And I agree about the munchkin potential... it might make a gamer who would normally take a very role played path through a game try to do everything else just to get the trophies without starting up a new character.

For me the best RPG's are the ones where you leave huge parts of the game untouched during your first run, and encouraging people to join every guild, kill every beast and collect every item ruins that sense of having an individual character.

One of my recent favorite achievments: burn the witch from L4D. Pretty much everyone gets it the first time they sit down to play, but it is always a bit of an experience.

TF2 achievements sucked donkeydick when they were initially implemented. it turned out to be a grind similar than to those in MMOs. just wasting time in order to receive new weapons.

now the drops are "at random" as well as by achievement, so that's ok. the at random part still needs to be tweaked though.

but in other games i've pretty much always hated achievements.

Depends on the game I guess...
For instance I loved achievements in Crackdown because they made the game really addictive.
However, I'm not really fond of those in L4D because some of them are too hard to get and would require me playing for hours and having absolutely no fun just to get them.
There is one achievement in HL2 episode 2 which is pretty much awesome : the "launch the dwarf into space" or something...

Half-Life 2 and its episodes have nice achievements for the largest part, they at least got creative and thoughtful with them, but then there's other game's where it's, Beat Chapter 1, Beat Chapter 2, Beat The Game, and that's it.

I don't like achievements and tend not to do them unless I'm extremely bored already and think if I tough it out by doing something productive (getting achievements is productive!) I'll push through the boredom to happytimefunland.

I generally don't give a damn.

HL2 achievements were ok, like fire the garden gnome into space. Though I never even saw the gnome. Stuff that pops up unexpectedly when you do something weird can be fun...
Empire: Toal War on the other hand has the most atrocious achievements I've ever seen. "Use threats in diplomacy ten times", "Attack an ally ten times". How fucking creative of you Creative Assembly!

Depends.

If the achievements are linked to in-game bonuses (mass effect did this very well), then I'm all for them.

If they don't serve a function, I couldn't care less.

I pretty much agree with the people here who say that achievements for performing some action or killing a certain enemy type with a certain weapon are really pointless.

As someone else said, unless it ties into some reward like a new weapon or an extra area there is no point in them.

I never bother with them when I play games.

Achievements are an easy way to make boring actions rewarding, thus enhancing the game somewhat. If they are made properly, they can be a real asset. If not, they may be simply ignored in most cases.

So why not?

I don't mind them. Ideas like "Gamerscores" I really don't care about, but on my PS3, I enjoy getting trophies here and there.

Back