What Makes A Good Fallout Game?

Okay, this I out of curiosity, but what music is better, West coast Fallout or East Coast. I prefer east coast, but still enjoy NV track. I did love the song "Atom Bomb Baby", "It's the end of the world", and "Butcher Pete". I know raiders should have sone form of harder rock, but what more classical, or or older songs from 1900-1970 does Fallout need? I rang edit this way due to the first real big changes from our universe and the Fallout universe being the commonwealth formation in 1969.

I believe that Fallout is missing more blues and jazz. Both would really help with immersion and setting the tone for a game if used right.

Okay, this I out of curiosity, but what music is better, West coast Fallout or East Coast. I prefer east coast, but still enjoy NV track. I did love the song "Atom Bomb Baby", "It's the end of the world", and "Butcher Pete". I know raiders should have sone form of harder rock, but what more classical, or or older songs from 1900-1970 does Fallout need? I rang edit this way due to the first real big changes from our universe and the Fallout universe being the commonwealth formation in 1969.

I believe that Fallout is missing more blues and jazz. Both would really help with immersion and setting the tone for a game if used right.
That depends actually. Like @R.Graves says, the East Coast songs are nice to listen to which I agree with though I really liked how the songs of New Vegas fitted the setting, ideas and themes better.

Personally, I'd go with both. One way to do that is to make two radio stations with one being the news station (like the Radio New Vegas) that plays songs that thematically fit (and are of differing genres like you suggested) while the other optional station only plays the East Coast jams.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, one of the more less known quest in F3 was one where you had to get a Stradivarius. I enjoyed the quest of because of the item reward, but because i added something to the wasteland, and it was good classical music.

For the skript, I want to add into how important radio is in the wasteland. That is not just entertainment, but survival. Maybe have factions manipulating this yo either help others, or achieve there own goals.

The one thing that F3 did better in my opinion than NV, Three Dog. He's just fun and has a personality like an actual radio host.

The one thing that F3 did better in my opinion than NV, Three Dog. He's just fun and has a personality like an actual radio host.
I'd say that he's fun only because there was really no competition. Mr. New Vegas was a bot, if I'm not mistaken, and he's better fit to the settings because he's much more realistic and his news doesn't actually revolve around you, but he ain't fun like Three Dog. But damn if Three Dog is not fucking annoying that he fanboyed all over you for being good (really show how power-fantasy-y Bethesda games is), and when you try evil playthrough his radio station pretty much a dumb thing to listen to.

I'd say that he's fun only because there was really no competition. Mr. New Vegas was a bot, if I'm not mistaken, and he's better fit to the settings because he's much more realistic and his news doesn't actually revolve around you, but he ain't fun like Three Dog. But damn if Three Dog is not fucking annoying that he fanboyed all over you for being good (really show how power-fantasy-y Bethesda games is), and when you try evil playthrough his radio station pretty much a dumb thing to listen to.

Hmm, I can see your point, maybe if there was a balance between the fun aspect and news then it would be more realistic. The radio host in F4 was just boring.

Okay, the script so far is coming along nicley, but I have a key question that is a FUNDAMENTAL part of any open world RPG. How many quests, since I'm working this alone, I can do about 200-300 over the course of writing this. What numbers do you think are a base number for RPGs. In my opinion, more than F4, so about 200+.

Hmm, I can see your point, maybe if there was a balance between the fun aspect and news then it would be more realistic. The radio host in F4 was just boring.
I like the radio host on fo4. He was adorable in his awkwardness.

Also I'd try focus less on number of quest and more on the paths and ways to complete these quests.

You do know that if you make a Fallout mod that is any good it's probably going to be copied by Bethesda in some fashion and repackaged as a DLC without giving you credit right?

You do know that if you make a Fallout mod that is any good it's going to be copied by Bethesda in some fashion and repackaged as a DLC without giving you credit right?

I really don't care, plus this is a full game script. I know it probably won't get used, but any things possible. Plus if Todd Howard can get a job from Bethesda with only degree in engineering and financial and become a game developer with unrelated credentials, then I have a small window. Plus I'm doing this for FREE. It's probably sounds like some oversized dream to many of you, but I am serious when I said I'd do this. Hell if in a million chance Bethesda did take my skript, I'd only ask to be the head writer, for free. I know it sound stupid, but that's just what feels right to me. Sorry if this sound ridiculous to many of you, but like I've said before, I am working on this script, and it's not a mod script, it's a full Fallout script.

Well one thing is certain - you can't do any worse than Bethesda did with Fallout 4. If someone sat a monkey in front of a typewriter then whatever came out would be better than the writing in Skyrim and Fallout 4. So good luck I guess.

Like I told the other guy: if you want to make a good RPG or Fallout game, then look at Fallout 4 and do the exact opposite.

Okay, the script so far is coming along nicley, but I have a key question that is a FUNDAMENTAL part of any open world RPG. How many quests, since I'm working this alone, I can do about 200-300 over the course of writing this. What numbers do you think are a base number for RPGs. In my opinion, more than F4, so about 200+.

Its not about quantity, its about quality. You can make as many quests as you like, but if they dont have any good reasons to be done/multiple ways to be done, then i`m not going even bother with them.New Vegas had about 100 quests, all of them being able to solve in multiple ways with good reasons behind them.Making all of them took quite a few developers with only 2 years to do them all, so I won`t suggest over 25-50 unless you get some help.

If you just threw your script into Bethesda's P.O. Box absolutely royalty free, why would they ask you for anything?

I'd just post it here on NMA in the fanfiction section, dude.

If you just threw your script into Bethesda's P.O. Box absolutely royalty free, why would they ask you for anything?

I'd just post it here on NMA in the fanfiction section, dude.

There's probably some legal plagerism protection I can do, I just need to do some research. Plus I would never be that idiotic and just hand it over.

Alright I know this is not mutch for a preview but, here's the opening for my Fallout game, enjoy.

(Opening by Ron Perlman)

"The Atom, once used only by nature itself as a fundamental component of existence, was turned into a source of unbridled destruction. By the end of the Second World War, mankinds capacity for destruction rose to a level never before seen. 132 years later, after a century of technological advancement and decade of war for oil with China, the American people grew tired from the long drawn out conflict. Riots for food and other issues that plagued America took hold of the people's interests.

Yet on October 23rd, 2077; that level of destruction unleashed over a century ago was surpassed by over a thousand fold as the world was basked in waves of pure atomic fire. Weapons a thousand times more powerful than the first atomic bomb were unleashed. Those who took the threat of atomic warfare prepared themselves in anyway possible. Those who were lucky enough though were chosen to enter the great underground facilities known as Vaults.

Built by the company Vault-Tec, these could house thousands of people. Yet these vaults were not only built to protect people, but to also study them. These secret tests were kept hidden from the inhabitants at all costs. So while the less than 1% of Americans lived in underground paradise, people above died from instant vaporization, or exposure to the radioactive fallout. Yet those who did not met a more horrifying fate,

Many thought this to be the war to end the world, yet this was not the case. This was just the catalyst to another bloody chapter in human history. In this new chapter of human history, survival is still a key component of he human condition. Yet for generations your family has slept behind the thick steel door of Vault 121 for over 200 years.

Yet these walls are not meant to keep humanity housed forever. Change must come to your vault, and change is rare in the wasteland. Survival is a constant war, an element of human life that has not changed.

Because war, war never changes".

Written by @Fallout Guy117.

There's probably some legal plagerism protection I can do, I just need to do some research. Plus I would never be that idiotic and just hand it over.

Alright I know this is not mutch for a preview but, here's the opening for my Fallout game, enjoy.

(Opening by Ron Perlman)

"The Atom, once used only by nature itself as a fundamental component of existence, was turned into a source of unbridled destruction. By the end of the Second World War, mankinds capacity for destruction rose to a level never before seen. 132 years later, after a century of technological advancement and decade of war for oil with China, the American people grew tired from the long drawn out conflict. Riots for food and other issues that plagued America took hold of the people's interests.

Yet on October 23rd, 2077; that level of destruction unleashed over a century ago was surpassed by over a thousand fold as the world was basked in waves of pure atomic fire. Weapons a thousand times more powerful than the first atomic bomb were unleashed. Those who took the threat of atomic warfare prepared themselves in anyway possible. Those who were lucky enough though were chosen to enter the great underground facilities known as Vaults.

Built by the company Vault-Tec, these could house thousands of people. Yet these vaults were not only built to protect people, but to also study them. These secret tests were kept hidden from the inhabitants at all costs. So while the less than 1% of Americans lived in underground paradise, people above died from instant vaporization, or exposure to the radioactive fallout. Yet those who did not met a more horrifying fate,

Many thought this to be the war to end the world, yet this was not the case. This was just the catalyst to another bloody chapter in human history. In this new chapter of human history, survival is still a key component of he human condition. Yet for generations your family has slept behind the thick steel door of Vault 121 for over 200 years.

Yet these walls are not meant to keep humanity housed forever. Change must come to your vault, and change is rare in the wasteland. Survival is a constant war, an element of human life that has not changed.

Because war, war never changes".

Written by @Fallout Guy117.

I wont say that im a text critique in any sort of way, but you used the word YET 5 times over.I also dont like all the numbers im seeing, it simply drives me of from enjoying the text.Also the "wear never changes" line was used badly (that and bethesda preety much trademarked it and i have gotten sick from hearing it so that also might be a factor.

Sorry. Dont mean any of this to discourage you, quite the opposite.

Hope it helps :help::grin:

I wont say that im a text critique in any sort of way, but you used the word YET 5 times over.I also dont like all the numbers im seeing, it simply drives me of from enjoying the text.Also the "wear never changes" line was used badly (that and bethesda preety much trademarked it and i have gotten sick from hearing it so that also might be a factor.

Sorry. Dont mean any of this to discourage you, quite the opposite.

Hope it helps :help::grin:

Never be discouraged man, this is why I set up the forum. Your not berating me at all. Your giving me great constructive criticism. This is just a rough draft after all and getting a responses back from people is great. Thank you for your comments!

Last edited:
Back