What Makes A Good Fallout Game?

Alright then, the next matter is weapons. I'm just gonna say this now, PIPE WEAPONS ARE AWSEOME!! They felt so real because they are a logical weapon for a post apocalyptic game. They need to be expanded though.

For Example: Pipe Shot Gun

Or Arm Rocket Launcher

These would fit really well into a Fallout game. Tribal like weapons also need to be made. Weapons like bows made out of bones and/or metal. What kind of weapons do you think would fit in Fallout?

Alright then, the next matter is weapons. I'm just gonna say this now, PIPE WEAPONS ARE AWSEOME!! They felt so real because they are a logical weapon for a post apocalyptic game. They need to be expanded though.

For Example: Pipe Shot Gun

Or Arm Rocket Launcher

These would fit really well into a Fallout game. Tribal like weapons also need to be made. Weapons like bows made out of bones and/or metal. What kind of weapons do you think would fit in Fallout?

I
HATE
pipe
"weapons"

But its mostly bethesdas fault, not the concept of it.

From what I've gathered, everyone who likes the original and NV like the ,ore open area dessert like environment. What I propose is something similar to the layout of F4, but with different ratios.

° No more large areas of water like the coast in F4.

° 3/4 open area with a 1/4 city environment.

° A vastly larger area, F4 map size was surpassed by Just Cause 3 by 8.3 times! This size was by far unacceptable.

Sorry for the late response, limited net plus sleeping (kinda).

Pipe weapons:
1.Over saturated
2.GARGANTUANT names
3.Found at the most paradox-icly impossible places (pre war safes)
4.Plain ugly (personal opinion)
5.So many real guns, so why bother with pipe guns?

Okay, so how about making them more tribal and only raider grade weapons, while also keeping them out of more advanced areas. Maybe more so in outskirts of the wasteland areas than urban. In urban areas, raiders have better guns as well as slightly more advanced armor.

Okay, so how about making them more tribal and only raider grade weapons, while also keeping them out of more advanced areas. Maybe more so in outskirts of the wasteland areas than urban. In urban areas, raiders have better guns as well as slightly more advanced armor.

Also them being fully automatic whilst being made out of wood is completely wrong. Wood simply isnt a strong enough material to withstand the constant stress that the gun produces (although that can wary on the type of wood but chances are that most will be dry and weak). Fallout 2 did it right with the pipe rifle only being able to fire 1 shot, using only weak ammo.

They should be used by gun nuts and poor people, tribals should probably stick to kinfes and spears (or maybe just respected members within the tribe can only use them such as warriors or hunters).

Raiders on the other hand could use them, but they are probably going to be looking to find real guns, pipe is simply the lowest standard.

Last edited:
Also them being fully automatic whilst being made out of wood is completely wrong. Wood simply isnt a strong enough material to withstand the constant stress that the gun produces (although that can wary on the type of wood but chances are that most will be dry and weak). Fallout 2 did it right with the pipe rifle only being able to fire 1 shot, using only weak ammo.

They should be used by gun nuts and poor people, tribals should probably stick to kinfes and spears (or maybe just respected members within the tribe can only use them such as warriors or hunters).

Raiders on the other hand could use them, but they are probably going to be looking to find real guns, pipe is simply the lowest standard.

I agree on the upper tribals using the weapons, but I think I know what was trying to be accomplished. I love the look of F4, some different things could have been better, but I did enjoy it. The pipe rifles wood part was just trying to be the forearm, and sadly ended up looking like the gun went into the wood frame. The pipes need to be shown to be more dominant and raised. When you see the wood foreaem for the pipe guns, the wood should only be the forearm and not look like the entire gun. Also there should be an option in whitch you can remove the wood forearm, and instead have a metal pipe forearm instead.

I agree on the upper tribals using the weapons, but I think I know what was trying to be accomplished. I love the look of F4, some different things could have been better, but I did enjoy it. The pipe rifles wood part was just trying to be the forearm, and sadly ended up looking like the gun went into the wood frame. The pipes need to be shown to be more dominant and raised. When you see the wood foreaem for the pipe guns, the wood should only be the forearm and not look like the entire gun. Also there should be an option in whitch you can remove the wood forearm, and instead have a metal pipe forearm instead.

I see. Still tho, they should be the weakest of all the ranged weapons, both by caliber and by fire rate. Metro made pipe weapons good, especially the double barrel shotgun. All of them look brittle and are only "good enough".

I see. Still tho, they should be the weakest of all the ranged weapons, both by caliber and by fire rate. Metro made pipe weapons good, especially the double barrel shotgun. All of them look brittle and are only "good enough".

I like what you are saying, I'll take a look at the metro pipe gunss and see if I can think up of better idea. They would probably be better by using 9mm then since it's a smaller, and weaker caliber.

Last edited:
One of the aspects i want to bring back to Fallout is the classic Fallout perk gain that Fallout 1,2,3 and NV had. I feel that this is a more balanced system, and it gives players time to reflect on what they want there character to be. As well as think about what perks would be best to acquire first. Thus includes LEARNING how to use power armor, make better chems,and even certain items, as well as a repair perk for power armor. Another aspect is repair for weapons. This can be accomplished by having the same weapon, and later similar items with a perk.

I also want intelligence to play a larger role besides determining XP gains.

What aspects from older a Fallout games do you all think need to return?

What aspects from older a Fallout games do you all think need to return?
All of them.
But specifically:
  • SPECIAL
  • perks
  • Skills
  • Traits
  • Dialogue
  • Silent avatar
  • The way dialogue worked: doesn't even tell when something is a speech check or if it even has a chance at working. You have to engage NPCs as a person.

The first two fallout games had to deal with stuff that would happen in a Sci-fi post-apo setting. Fallout 1 dealt with Humans-Ghouls-Supermutants all thinking they were the best as they were struggling to survive.
Fallout 2 had to deal with politics such as Gecko-Vault City and Reno and Redding as New Cali was getting out of the dark ages.

Van Buren was going to have ghoul supremacists caused by discrimination (like the old planet of apes movies) and someone wanting to cleanse the world to make humans be the only ones alive. New Vegas had to 3 political powers wanting control of unpolluted water and land (something that would happen in a post-apo world and also happens in real life with water disputes between organized governments). There was no Van Buren but still New Vegas's world had enough regrowth to tackle something like political control.

Fallout 3 had the world still in a state of rebuilding and 4 tried to tackle something like Human-like AI when the world it was taking place in was still in ruins and everyone was trying to survive. Wanting to free AI when you have to deal with raiders all the time and food isn't something that would likely happen.

Make a good story and confine it to the environment.

Last edited:
The first two fallout games had to deal with stuff that would happen in a Sci-fi post-apo setting. Fallout 1 dealt with Humans-Ghouls-Supermutants all thinking they were the best as they were struggling to survive.
Fallout 2 had to deal with politics such as Gecko-Vault City and Reno and Redding as New Cali was getting out of the dark ages.

Van Buren was going to have ghoul supremacists caused by discrimination (like the old planet of apes movies) and someone wanting to cleanse the world to make humans be the only ones alive. New Vegas had to 3 political powers wanting control of unpolluted water and land (something that would happen in a post-apo world and also happens in real life with water disputes between organized governments). There was no Van Buren but still New Vegas's world had enough regrowth to tackle something like political control.

Fallout 3 had the world still in a state of rebuilding and 4 tried to tackle something like Human-like AI when the world it was taking place in was still in ruins and everyone was trying to survive. Wanting to free AI when you have to deal with raiders all the time and food isn't something that would likely happen.

Make a good story and confine it to the environment.

"Make a good story and confine it to the environment."

I like that statement, thanks for the good feedback!

Alright, one thing about F4 that I liked was the power armor mods. For example the VATS matrix, or the food scrubber. They felt like natural custom components to a power armor. I'd actually to see a in built weapon in an armor just to see how that would work.

What mods would you folks like to see?

Alright, one thing about F4 that I liked was the power armor mods. For example the VATS matrix, or the food scrubber. They felt like natural custom components to a power armor. I'd actually to see a in built weapon in an armor just to see how that would work.

What mods would you folks like to see?

That is not a bad idea, but all the armours are basically the same with a bit different stats and they can all be equipped the same way except paint.

I would limit the mods ( to make them feel more valulable), make some exclusive to certain armours and get rid of ridiculous ones. Rad scrubbing of food makes no sense to me, how do you even eat that. Keep it as implant like in New Vegas.

And make all the armours DIFFERENT, they just should never be as easy to change parts as it is.

One thing that is enjoyable in all Fallout Games is: MUSIC!

I've put toghether a list of songs that may give you a hint as to where it takes place.

And the main game song,

So, script?

Going great, I'm actually going out and about the location in a day or two to collect data at the locations history museum. I want the setting to FEEL like even though it was nuked to shit, there are characteristics, or a personality that still resonates in the wasteland.

One of the themes of this game will be how to not only letting go of the past, but to cherish what good it had, and how to better those good aspects even in a blasted wasteland.

For me, any good Fallout game needs to be precise digital simulation of PnP system. That was integral and probably the most important factor hooking me up to the first Fallout so hard. The same goes for the sequel, and that's exactly what I do expect from any future Fallout game in the first place.

A couple of the next most important aspects derives from the first one directly:

Top-down or isometric/axonometric perspective due to tactical reasons. Looking at digital simulation of your PnP miniatures from this perspective makes for the most practical and convenient experience. You can see whole place, safely considering possible dangers or traps waiting for any of your characters, and prepare your plans accordingly in very civilized and gentlemanly manner. This is not possible in common FPP perspective with the camera rotating wildly.

The next important aspect is related directly to the previous two - turn based combat system. You can't simulate PnP combat system in any better way than this, full stop.

Aside from this, I do expect fully fledged system of character's stats, and skill system based on simulated rolls of your digital dices as the only means deciding success or fault of any of your character's actions. No minigames for opening locks, no minigames for hacking computers, just a solid skill check. Thanks.

As for lore, setting, and story, the first Fallout is the most important one to me. Second one slightly less, third and fourth not at all. And whilst I do realize that this sentence would put me on the cross probably, let me know you that FNV is just a spin-off from the Fallout series for me in terms of mechanics and gameplay. I'd love to see such good guest structure and faction relationships in any isometric turn-based game though.

Back