What was your first RPG?

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

Mine was Final Fantasy for the NES, but I was too young to figure it out. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time. The first two I actually comprehended were Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Super Mario RPG was one of those unprecedented partnerships that will never happen again. Even if it did I'm not sure Square Enix has the same talent anymore. Itoi has gone on record saying he will never make a Mother 4, with Mother 3 still not getting a release in the states, so Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings (Mother 2 and 1) are it. A little later Diablo and Fallout came along when I got a PC. I tend to prefer those style of RPG's, but there are a few exceptions.

Discuss.

:grin:

Fallout :]

I didn't know what category or genre it belonged to, and saw it as something completely unique. My gaming experience at the time was fairly limited

After that, on a borrowed PS, I played Final Fantasy 9, and really liked it as well, although I never finished it, and never played it since.

My third ever RPG was Morrowind, which was completely unfamiliar to me, and part of a game-bundle a co-worker of my dads gave to him, and he gave to me (he hates games). I dismissed most of the games as lame, and was tempted to just donate them on to whoever, but felt slightly bad about it. I decided to give that weird-ass elves-and-stuff game a chance - compared it to Fallout - and hated it :D
Then I felt bad again, gave it another shot a few months later, and loved the hell out of it.

Since then, FO1-2 and Morrowind have remained the two different RPGs I compare all other RPGs with

Some jRPG for NES or Pokemon/Dragon Ball game for Game Boy. I forgot those things existed...

I've started with first edition of Draci Doupe, which is a Czech ruleset published in 1990, based on Dungeons & Dragons. It has come with a few of its own pre-made dungeons and this shit got me hooked really hard, along with a couple of my friends and classmates fortunately, so we've had solid fun with it for quite a some time:

6pUaKiq.jpg

First games labelled as RPG that i played were Baldur's Gate 1, Lands Of Lore 1, & Pokemon. (i also played Diablo, but i doubt it is still sold as an RPG)
Amongs those three, the only one with choices seems to be Baldur's Gate, but i still have to finish it. (although i think i played the first few chapter at least 20 times. I want to play it, but it fails to keep me on board for too long)

Then i tried Fallout 2, then Fallout 1, and i was blown by the cheer amount of options and the world they created.

I'm a little foggy on my first RPG. It was either Legend of Legaia for the Playstation 1 or Megaman Legends. Granted, Legends is more of a Zelda-like, but the values are the same and back then I just thought all games where it wasn't linear and I could talk to people was an RPG. I'm gonna err on the side of caution and say it was Megaman Legends, since it's still my favorite game on Playstation next to Metal Gear Solid and Brave Fencer Musashi.

Didn't actually know what Fallout was til I stumbled upon Fallout Tactics installed onto a computer in my elementary school. My mom was a teacher so I ended up staying after school a lot. That game was great for passing the time. And I totally wasn't old enough for it, which still amuses me. The memory of that game was what lead me to check out Fallout later on and it's been my favorite Western RPG ever since. Which I also should thank Bethesda, since reading that they had acquired the license was what brought the name back to me. So, nice unintentional trigger, Bethesda.

I think it was Fallout 1&2. My friend had a disc from the magazine with both games on it and borrowed it from him. I don't know, I was 11 at that time? Maybe 12. Anyway, it wasn't so long since I got my first legit PC so I was pretty much greenhorn not only when it comes to RPGs, but games overall (but I played some before). I heard a lot of good things about Fallout in said magazine, so I was really curious. Even seemingly oldschool gameplay and graphics didn't scare me off.

When I first launched game, it struck how climatic everything is, starting from intro (goddamit, that intro!) and the more I played, the better it was. I mean at first I was kinda overwhelmed, but quickly got used to everything and sucked into this postnuclear world. I mean it had everything - stylish world, unique atmosphere, interesting characters, well-written dialogues, many choices, many possibilities like when you make a character with low Intelligence for the first time and discover they have different set of dialogues. I mean wow, just wow.
Since that day I have many love for this series. It's been a while since I last played it and I am tempted to do it again, but on the other hand I'm afraid that back to the past may be and disappointing. But both games are still in my personal top 10.
So yeah, that's my story.

Das Schwarze Auge - Schicksalsklinge. Really loved the Black Eye games. Though, never played the third one, to be honest.

KotOR 1 back around 2004. It's hard to give a better estimate, but it couldn't have been too long before KotOR 2 came out. This was during my Star Wars phase when I was really into the movies so when I saw it at the video store, I decided to rent it. I was like 12 at the time so I do remember liking it, including the romance with Bastila, which seeing it now seems so child-like. But because the return period was within 5 days, I didn't finish it. I did eventually complete the game a year or two later when I rented it again, but this was after I had purchased and finished KotOR 2 a dozen times.

Looking back on it now, I'm kind of glad at how things turned out.

Last edited:
The first were...

Eastern: Secret of Mana [which is Seiken Densetsu 2, in Japan]

Western: Icewind Dale

The best I played [imo] were...

Eastern: Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears [can't rate one above the other, so I always mention them together]

Western: Fallout 1 and 2 [same as above]

PS: Arcanum sux deal with it /turndown4what :razz:

Last edited:
Back