What was your first RPG?

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
FF1 on the NES, I couldn't even read most of what was happening because I was like 4. Because of this I was generally over leveled to hell because I stumbled through until I progressed. My memories of my first playthrough end at around the water fiend, so I may never have gotten past it.

WOW, a lot of youngins here! Welp, let's see for consoles it was Dragon Warrior followed by Final Fantasy,
while on the PC it was a combo of Bard's Tale 3 and Quest for Glory 2 (the desert one for anyone in the know).

By the time Fallout came out I was well into RPGs... wait are there ppl on NMA for Fallout 3?! I thought NMA was a primarily
Fallout 1, 2, tactics and begrudgingly New Vegas kinda place? Or was that years ago and since has changed? I've never
been a forum person... well, not since forums started requiring registration and usernames lol

Fallout 1,2, NV and I think tactics are fine. Most fans of Fallout 3 here are trolls but there are a few who love the games who are as sane and normal as any other person here... if not more so.

Pokemon Blue possibly. I have bad memory. Diablo II, Magic and Mayhem and Nox also come to mind, though they are not pure RPG's. Pokemon neither.

AD&D Second Edition as far as tabletop goes. One of the shitty D&D games on the intelivision as far as consoles go.

Dragon Warrior on NES for video games

Dark Tower, though not a traditional RPG like D&D. There was adventure, asset management and a huge boss battle at the end. Plus, you could play with 3 other friends. Also Risk is awesome and can get really interesting if you introduce required objectives in addition to world domination. Not a RPG but everyone becomes someone else once you start placing armies. EDIT: These two are board games.

Additional Edit: I'm gonna rant here here about Dark Tower. I wasn't alive when the game came out but even into the 90's it's use of mixed media was still incredible. Milton Bradley made a robust game given the constraints of tabletop/boardgames in 1981. Search the game, see if there's some youtube and then put that game next to what was rolling out on the Atari 2600 at the time.

Last edited:
Dragon Warrior on NES for video games

Dark Tower, though not a traditional RPG like D&D. There was adventure, asset management and a huge boss battle at the end. Plus, you could play with 3 other friends. Also Risk is awesome and can get really interesting if you introduce required objectives in addition to world domination. Not a RPG but everyone becomes someone else once you start placing armies. EDIT: These two are board games.

Additional Edit: I'm gonna rant here here about Dark Tower. I wasn't alive when the game came out but even into the 90's it's use of mixed media was still incredible. Milton Bradley made a robust game given the constraints of tabletop/boardgames in 1981. Search the game, see if there's some youtube and then put that game next to what was rolling out on the Atari 2600 at the time.

Dark Tower is totally a RPG, and has one advantage over D&D - it's always fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70zhwB9h0M

The guys at Beer and Boardgames did a 3 part show on Dark Tower if anyone is interested!

Last edited:
For table top: D&D red box. I've actually got three of the four initial boxes, missin' only the wilderness one (blue box, maybe?).

For the PC: Baldur's Gate. This game is the reason I bought a PC.

For consoles: Legacy of the Wizard for the NES. If that don't qualify as an RPG, then Ultima: Exodus, for the NES. I still remember
the sound of my characters walkin' through the forest of Ambrosia as it's somber theme music played. *chip, chip, chip...*

I want to say Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari 2600 was my first, but it doesn't seem like it would qualify as one...

I am a longtime lurker of NMA, but I felt the urge to register because no one mentioned my first RPG in this thread.

It was Fallout's daddy, the glorious Wasteland for Commodore 64. :grin:

Dungeon Master on an old Apple machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm4B22b_imQ

Although I was too young at the time to make much of it.

Later I had some amiga games but no real RPG games as I can recall. Then I got a nintendo NES and played Zelda 1 & 2 a bit but never finished them, I was still pretty young and I think they were a bit too hard for me.

The first RPG that I really enjoyed playing, and which I actually mastered, was Zelda - A Link to The Past for SNES. I've probably beaten that game 5-6 times and I still remember all the locations of all heart pieces and all the dungeons in and out. Still a great game, old school Nintendo.

But the game that really sold me on RPGs was Diablo 1 when it hit in 1996, it was quite special at the time. And the story and feeling of dread in that little town... like I said, it was pretty special at the time. Good old Blizzard before they had too much success and money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGBB-dXmPw

The first RPG I ever played was Quest 64.... and it sucked.

I grew up in a family of huge military buffs and used to play wargames with my uncle all the time, which then led to a general interest in D&D. The blue box was my start I think, it's been a couple of years since then so I could be wrong. My first RPG video game was probably Eye of the Beholder. Found a version for the GBA recently and it brought back all sorts of old memories.

Didn't play a whole lot of RPGs for the longest time though, my wargaming background meant I gravitated towards Panzer Generals and eventually into RTS and milsim titles.

Back