What was your first RPG?

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Ultima. Old school classic, great friggin' game. Played it for years, I have. I just loved to farm, taylor my clothes, write macro scripts to train skills, and, of course, engage in good ol' PvP. There was literally no imposition on the player - you chose whatever skills you wanted (each server would have a different cap) out different categories of skills, and could do whatever the heck you wanted. There were quests, I guess, though no one cared about them. Cartography allowed you to search for treasures, sailed the seas of Britannia and end up G'd knows where. It was a lot of fun, and had an awesome vibrant community, unlike today's gamers. At the time, I felt it to be an almost pure RPG. The game had no end, and you could play it forever.

Hmm, if Heroes of the Lance counts, that would be it.

Otherwise, Bard's Tale or Darkspyre, I honestly can't remember which one I played first.

That's for the PC, and roughly at the same time I would have been playing Swords & Serpents on NES. (Interplay owned my soul very early on, with Fallout they just sweetened the deal).

Last edited:
Umm, I don't remember which game I actually played first, was either Might and magic 3 or Ultima 6

Might have also been dungeon master

First game I played/beat and enjoyed was probably diablo 1 or ultima 7(i didn't play u7 on release my dad only picked it up years later)

Crystalis for the NES was the first I played. I unfortunately never beat it because I was 4 or 5 when at the time.

First that I actually played through and completed was Final Fantasy VI (III) on the SNES. No finer title for a first "completed" RPG. :)

Yeah, I basically started with Oblivion as well, it's a good place to start I think. It shows you freedom in the open world form and in player character building but has almost no freedom in quest design. So when you start introducing yourself to new RPGs that have more open ended quests and choices, you'll have your mind blown and you'll begin to appreciate it more, that's how I felt when I played KOTOR 1 after Oblivion and then Fallout: New Vegas sometime after that. Though overall, I'd recommend starting with Skyrim over Oblivion just to dodge the broken post lvl 30 level scaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I basically started with Oblivion as well, it's a good place to start I think. It shows you freedom in the open world form and in player character building but has almost no freedom in quest design. So when you start introducing yourself to new RPGs that have more open ended quests and choices, you'll have your mind blown and you'll begin to appreciate it more, that's how I felt when I played KOTOR 1 after Oblivion and then Fallout: New Vegas sometime after that. Though overall, I'd recommend starting with Skyrim over Oblivion just to dodge the broken post lvl 30 level scaling.

I like to think that the Elder Scrolls as it stands is best as a really expensive, extended tutorial and introduction to the world of RPGs. It's shallow as an RPG nowadays, but it gives newcomers to gaming a vision or concept of RPG games.

Oblivion was my first one. I'm very sure Mass Effect 2 ("RPG" lol) was my second, and Dragon Age: Origins might've been my third, but I don't remember anymore.

• First RPG I can remember playing was the NES game called Faxanadu :confused: but to be honest I consider it more of a platformer-adventure game than RPG.
  • First jRPG was Final Fantasy VI
  • First cRPG was Fallout
  • First P&P RPG was Dungeons and Dragons 3rd edition

Ultima VIII: Pagan was my first foray into RPG, I thought it was an awesome game that I really sucked at playing. Turns out the game was just shit.

In 1996,Computer Gaming World ranked it [Pagan] as the 20th worst game of all time, stating "A once-great RPG series reduced to the level of Mario, but with hateful, virtue-less characters."

Pokemon Blue. Yeah, go ahead and laugh but I thought the game was "it" at the time.
Not to mention I didn't even know what an "R-P-G" was at the time. I was only 6 or 7 .. :P

Back