What's your ancestry?

I'm a bit curious of such myself. The ancestry that I know of does not go very far back. I'm not a big fan of the idea of mailing private companies my DNA though... :D I am curious of a couple of things though, such as the travel of my surname in Europe, I have the impression it has moved around a bit. I am also curious if I have any "stationary" ancestry. Very possibly among my dad's lineages, on the Amerindian side of things, seeing as they were kind of isolated on that continent.

Then again, that's kind of like saying "isolated in Europe", no such thing, Europe is huge, South-America even huger

I set Page 3 as the over/under for when any NMA thread gets veered by the same jagoffs
If you want, you could do one of those DNA-heritage analyses. Some firms on the net provide them. I think it costs like hundred-couple hundred bucks and you get a cool analysis about your genetic blue print.
I feel this would mostly lead to disappointment.

Now, back to topic, your turn Crni, with your considerable contribution in the thread so far :D
To answer your question, I am pretty much all Serbian, with some German (Donnauschwaben to be precise) thrown in from my Mothers side, her Grandfather actually married a Serbian. How far back all of that goes though? I have no clue.
What makes me sad is that I don't know more about my Great-Grandfather though, as from what my Grandmother told me, he died in WW2. As the Germans had to retreat from the Soviet troops in Yugoslavia they started to conscript every man into the Wehrmacht they saw as "German" enough to fight for them, sadly they also thought my Great-Grandfather would have to do his part for the Third Reich. Our family never managed to figure out what happend, but the most likely scenario is that he was most probably executed by the German army, maybe because he refused to fight or shoot civilians or who knows. The last thing he told his wive when she saw him, was after all that she should not worry, as he would not kill anyone.

Yeah? And ... how does that contradict anything of what I said? Just because some Shaeferhund managed to sneak his way into my family tree doesn't mean that you have to give up all of your beliefs.

Completely Scottish on my dads side. On my mums side, mostly Scottish and Irish, but with a little bit of English thrown in.

I love Scotland, beautiful country.
Seen the Six Nations test against France today?

No, but I was in a state of shock when I saw the result:jiggy:

I live in Hungary now, so I don't see much British sport. Funnily enough, it's one of the few things I miss about being back home

No, but I was in a state of shock when I saw the result:jiggy:

I live in Hungary now, so I don't see much British sport. Funnily enough, it's one of the few things I miss about being back home
Yeah, seems like the current team is doing quite well. I mean, they practically beat Australia during the WC!
Could have gone better against Wales and England, though.

100% Indian, second generation American. Family came from the Sudra class, back when that was still a big deal.

To answer your question, I am pretty much all Serbian, with some German (Donnauschwaben to be precise) thrown in from my Mothers side, her Grandfather actually married a Serbian. How far back all of that goes though? I have no clue.
What makes me sad is that I don't know more about my Great-Grandfather though, as from what my Grandmother told me, he died in WW2. As the Germans had to retreat from the Soviet troops in Yugoslavia they started to conscript every man into the Wehrmacht they saw as "German" enough to fight for them, sadly they also thought my Great-Grandfather would have to do his part for the Third Reich. Our family never managed to figure out what happend, but the most likely scenario is that he was most probably executed by the German army, maybe because he refused to fight or shoot civilians or who knows. The last thing he told his wive when she saw him, was after all that she should not worry, as he would not kill anyone.

You are not pure-bred ubermensch. Disappointing.

Me? I'm Serbian, but my origins are kinda confusing. South Serbia is relatively diverse in various ethnic groups that have mixed over and over in the last several centuries, so my bloodline is quite colorful in that regard.
By the most accounts, my ancestors were common folk who descended from the mountains after the Turks left the place - living in relative isolation, they retained most of their Slavic traits. We were relatively fair skinned with occasional blonde hair/blue eyes, or so I am told.
Few generations back, a woman, my great-grandmother, entered the bloodline, and she was pitch-black. I actually remember her, she lived long enough for me to meet her when I was a kid. Since then, my family are all dark-skinned (not black, obviously, or Romani, but we have darker complexion), which suggest Turkish origins.
But that's from father's side. I'm not sure about my mother side tho. In any case, both sides, mountain folk, highlanders, more or less.

tl;dr I'm Fremen.

Last edited:
Been away from the board awhile, but before people get batshit conservative crazy, I don't refer to white guilt as "feeling bad for something my ancestors did" or even as a condemnation of progressive liberalism. (Those hippy beatnik commies!) But all the same, it's not a concept I've really had the opportunity to really think through and articulate to my satisfaction.

Cameron's Avatar helped me to start thinking about the subject partially because a lot of its critics pointed out how it's very emotionally manipulative, so while I enjoyed the movie in the moment, when you start taking it apart . . . it makes one feel dirty. Nevermind, that it's also hot sweaty bait for Otherkin types, who need no further encouragement. There's also that bit where the outsider joins the natives, becomes their hero and saves them. (Meanwhile the Navi are all perfect and in harmony with nature, instead of, you know, being fucking primitive savages.) Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai is of a similar formula. White guy is the last samurai who fights against his former comrades as one of the samurai.

By that token, weeaboos sort of have that same fascination with Japanese culture. And ironically, it goes the other way as well, as Japanese tend to view white Europeans and Americans as being more cosmopolitan, with similar considerations extending to beauty standards. In Korea, plastic surgery is very much a thing, to the point that a nose job might very well be a graduation present for girls coming out of high school.

By the by, VICE has a documentary on the subject, but I'll just skip to a part I found particularly interesting. It highlights the mismatched cultural expectations that I discussed above. To give context, the hostess is interviewing a Chinese girl after her surgery with Korean plastic surgeons.

As we are wont to, me and my brother like to talk video games. On the subject of Overwatch, he feels vaguely uncomfortable with the women characters, not because they're hypersexualized, but because he feels they're pandering to him by going, "Look at this exotic girl of a different culture." In particular, he feels insulted by D.Va being token Korean fap material. Read her background lore and you'll get what I mean. I put the word "appropriation" to it, though he was a little more reticent with that explanation.

Still, it reminds me of why I loath the Big Bang Theory, as I've literally been told by professors and fellow students (chemists, in fucking fact), that I'm like Sheldon. And I can only say that recently, the idea that BBT is essentially "black face for nerds" really strikes home for me. It's really an insulting and patronizing idea of whatever they think a "nerd" is supposed to be. (Personally, I just care a lot about truth over any other consideration like wealth, honor, status, prestige or personal comfort but apparently that makes me a Sheldon.) And I can draw parallels to that and the race stuff.

I can't articulate my feelings any better than this, as it's something that's just sort of been brewing for a long time. If I had to summarize, "white guilt" really is just more the phenomenon where people go through all the motions of appearing cultured, open minded and tolerant without actually being those things. They just check off boxes and then believe they're a better person for it. When really, it's just extremely patronizing and there is no real motivation for understanding the nuances about anything.

Last edited:
Back