WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK! ... a mathimatical modell

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by iii, Aug 18, 2009.

1. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf :clap:

2. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Anyone noticed that zombie theme becomes more and more present on this forum, as well as in numerous other places on the internet and media?

Gets pretty tiresome, if you ask me.

3. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    It had a big surge a few years back and I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. It's all a big, bad joke which I went from wondering where it came from to simply wanting over. Joke fads are always just plain retarded.

4. TyloniusFunk

TyloniusFunk It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 19, 2008
    Lol... /agree

Zombies are a useful trope for criticizing modern culture. I could go on at length making a post modern post about the misuse/abuse of zombies in popular media as criticism of our cultural weaknesses, but I doubt it would be worth my time (or yours).

OP- distilling zombies into numbers is an interesting example of technical analysis missing the fucking point... a specific example of our cultural weaknesses.

5. Member of Khans

Member of Khans Vault Dweller

Aug 26, 2004
    Ah, please. Can't you enjoy a scientific joke (a weak one, admittedly) without worrying about it's cultural implications?

6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Its only cause quite a lot of people today - when it comes to popular media anyway - feel and act like ... yep. Zombis.

7. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006

Because of these:

8. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Zombies are losing their hilarity value because people are becoming so fixated on making them dangerous.

Now that's dangerously hilarious right there.

9. JayGrey

JayGrey It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 8, 2009
    Hey, come on . . . Zombies are cool. Well, they were, up to Fallout 3. Feral ghouls, hath thou forsaken me?

Don't know, I always liked the zombie media. Resident Evil, 28 Days Later (except for the poorly executed action-ending).

Nice to be able to see, and act on, that that tries to kill you and society, no? Unlike greenhouse gases, acid rain, RF interference with biological processes, swine flu, bird flu, zombificiating cat fecal matter (for mice), and unemployment.

10. Kilus

Kilus Not Australian Orderite

May 3, 2003
    What's to get? Zombie Apocalypse fiction appeals to the survivalist in all of us. It's not a joke and the whole genre is based on challenging one of our primal instincts.

11. Cheomesh

Cheomesh It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 15, 2009
    The ZA "preparation" sort of thing allows the armchair warrior in us to comment on a situation so hypothetical it's difficult to be soundly thrashed by any kind of expert.

Essentially, it gives us, the middle class worker drones, some distant glimpse of "hope" to look forward to -- a glorious anarchy of theft, carjacking and murder.

M.

12. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    No one will admit it, but you are correct. As much as we need society either, because of what we deem weaknesses (or simply joy at something new) everyone wants to see it fall to something uncontrollable. That is as long as you survive and given the survivalism here I bet most people would consider themselves survivors. This way they can indulge all the things they've held off from (lawlessness) and not feel guilty since law will be gone.

13. DammitBoy

DammitBoy Carbon Dated and Proud

Feb 23, 2006
    You are correct sir!

14. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Shooting a humanoid creature that resembles a human the brain out with a shot-gun?

15. Kilus

May 3, 2003
    No, raw survival.

16. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    I want a zombie movie/game where the zombies become smarter, better looking, more athletic, and more talented than living humans, even though they're dead. But they still eat brains.

"Wow - didn't expect that."

17. NFSreloaded

NFSreloaded Still Mildly Glowing

May 5, 2009
    Resident Evil 4 and 5. Although I'm not sure about the undead part, because of those spine-replacing parasites. Not a whole lot of movies I know of, though.

18. Cheomesh

Aug 15, 2009
    Isn't that normally what a Vampire becomes in classic literature? I know I've read a few things like that.

M.

19. Kilus

May 3, 2003
    Well this is modern times and all a Vampire gets when created is angst.

20. Cheomesh

Aug 15, 2009
    Ah true. Well, the ones in my d20 Modern setting are going to be a little more...beastly, but that's mostly because they're not real vampires so much as someone with a mental disorder.

I have also noticed that most ZA people come from the following places:

1) Highly developed suburban areas
    2) Cities

Neither of these places allows much in the way of gun use, so maybe it's just another way for people to yearn the use of a weapon?

M.