WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK! ... a mathimatical modell

iii

Vault Dweller
Zombies are a popular figure in pop culture/entertainment and they are usually
portrayed as being brought about through an outbreak or epidemic. Consequently,
we model a zombie attack, using biological assumptions based on popular zombie
movies. We introduce a basic model for zombie infection, determine equilibria and
their stability, and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions. We then refine the
model to introduce a latent period of zombification, whereby humans are infected, but
not infectious, before becoming undead. We then modify the model to include the
effects of possible quarantine or a cure. Finally, we examine the impact of regular,
impulsive reductions in the number of zombies and derive conditions under which
eradication can occur. We show that only quick, aggressive attacks can stave off the
doomsday scenario: the collapse of society as zombies overtake us all.

http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf :clap:

Anyone noticed that zombie theme becomes more and more present on this forum, as well as in numerous other places on the internet and media?

Gets pretty tiresome, if you ask me.

Ravager69 said:
Anyone noticed that zombie theme becomes more and more present on this forum, as well as in numerous other places on the internet and media?

It had a big surge a few years back and I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. It's all a big, bad joke which I went from wondering where it came from to simply wanting over. Joke fads are always just plain retarded.

Ravager69 said:

Lol... /agree

Zombies are a useful trope for criticizing modern culture. I could go on at length making a post modern post about the misuse/abuse of zombies in popular media as criticism of our cultural weaknesses, but I doubt it would be worth my time (or yours).

OP- distilling zombies into numbers is an interesting example of technical analysis missing the fucking point... a specific example of our cultural weaknesses.

Ravager69 said:

Its only cause quite a lot of people today - when it comes to popular media anyway - feel and act like ... yep. Zombis.

3621097908_9e5a4e633b_o.jpg

Because of these:

3423230996_d701aa646c.jpg

3396782585_3ed2041fb9.jpg

3363314277_84380d4df6_o.jpg

Zombies are losing their hilarity value because people are becoming so fixated on making them dangerous.

zcap1.jpg

Now that's dangerously hilarious right there.

Hey, come on . . . Zombies are cool. Well, they were, up to Fallout 3. Feral ghouls, hath thou forsaken me?

Don't know, I always liked the zombie media. Resident Evil, 28 Days Later (except for the poorly executed action-ending).

Nice to be able to see, and act on, that that tries to kill you and society, no? Unlike greenhouse gases, acid rain, RF interference with biological processes, swine flu, bird flu, zombificiating cat fecal matter (for mice), and unemployment.

UncannyGarlic said:
Ravager69 said:

It had a big surge a few years back and I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. It's all a big, bad joke which I went from wondering where it came from to simply wanting over. Joke fads are always just plain retarded.

What's to get? Zombie Apocalypse fiction appeals to the survivalist in all of us. It's not a joke and the whole genre is based on challenging one of our primal instincts.

The ZA "preparation" sort of thing allows the armchair warrior in us to comment on a situation so hypothetical it's difficult to be soundly thrashed by any kind of expert.

Essentially, it gives us, the middle class worker drones, some distant glimpse of "hope" to look forward to -- a glorious anarchy of theft, carjacking and murder.

M.

Cheomesh said:
The ZA "preparation" sort of thing allows the armchair warrior in us to comment on a situation so hypothetical it's difficult to be soundly thrashed by any kind of expert.

Essentially, it gives us, the middle class worker drones, some distant glimpse of "hope" to look forward to -- a glorious anarchy of theft, carjacking and murder.

M.

No one will admit it, but you are correct. As much as we need society either, because of what we deem weaknesses (or simply joy at something new) everyone wants to see it fall to something uncontrollable. That is as long as you survive and given the survivalism here I bet most people would consider themselves survivors. This way they can indulge all the things they've held off from (lawlessness) and not feel guilty since law will be gone.

Cheomesh said:

M.

You are correct sir!

Kilus said:
What's to get? Zombie Apocalypse fiction appeals to the survivalist in all of us. It's not a joke and the whole genre is based on challenging one of our primal instincts.
Shooting a humanoid creature that resembles a human the brain out with a shot-gun?

Crni Vuk said:
Kilus said:
Shooting a humanoid creature that resembles a human the brain out with a shot-gun?

No, raw survival.

I want a zombie movie/game where the zombies become smarter, better looking, more athletic, and more talented than living humans, even though they're dead. But they still eat brains.

"Wow - didn't expect that."

UniversalWolf said:
I want a zombie movie/game where the zombies become smarter, better looking, more athletic, and more talented than living humans, even though they're dead. But they still eat brains.
Resident Evil 4 and 5. Although I'm not sure about the undead part, because of those spine-replacing parasites. Not a whole lot of movies I know of, though.

Isn't that normally what a Vampire becomes in classic literature? I know I've read a few things like that.

M.

Ah true. Well, the ones in my d20 Modern setting are going to be a little more...beastly, but that's mostly because they're not real vampires so much as someone with a mental disorder.

I have also noticed that most ZA people come from the following places:

1) Highly developed suburban areas
2) Cities

Neither of these places allows much in the way of gun use, so maybe it's just another way for people to yearn the use of a weapon?

M.

Back