Where I play and review the Yakuza series

More Yakuza 7 stuff, the gameplay is different but it looks interesting and entertaining enough to warrant a purchase:

Plus their theme song is growing on me:

EDIT: Added new theme song video

Last edited:
Just finished playing through YAKUZA 0 and I enjoyed it a great deal. It nicely tied together with the first two games while also easily being the best story of them. I felt the number of cutscenes and dialogue got to the point of being a television series I was watching rather than playing but it was still solid entertainment throughout. I generally enjoy the gritty crime drama element of the series versus the goofy sidequests and activities anyway.

I'm now going to play JUDGEMENT instead of Yakuza 3. It looks pretty awesome.

Just finished playing through YAKUZA 0 and I enjoyed it a great deal. It nicely tied together with the first two games while also easily being the best story of them.
Now that you've played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 2, did you manage to go through Majima's side-story in Kiwami 2? Or you went into it before playing 0 first?

I'm now going to play JUDGEMENT instead of Yakuza 3.
Have fun. Judgement uses the Dragon engine like Kiwami 2 but it's closer to classic Yakuza compared to Yakuza 7's RPG combat. I'll leave you the intro (which was successfully brought over for the international release instead of being exclusive to Japanese releases:

Never played this series, but i'll add that it's fucking hilarious that the next Yakuza is a turn based RPG. When we have people claiming turn based is "boring" or "dated" and that's an excuse to make everything more action based, here comes a series that does the opposite.

When we have people claiming turn based is "boring" or "dated" and that's an excuse to make everything more action based, here comes a series that does the opposite.
To be a devil's advocate, the turn-based combat is peculiar as the combat gameplay has been more like a real-time brawler with RPG elements prior to Yakuza 7.

It's a first attempt and based on what videos I've seen, it shows. Some fights are touted as requiring loads of grinding and some moves are so goofy that for some, it goes beyond the series's standard. I don't mind trying it out but it can be a hardsell for people and this attempt seems more like an experiment by RGG Studios (the game's developers).

I've got to say that I really plowed through JUDGEMENT and aside from its mediocre title (which could have been JUDGE EYES and would have at least been memorable), is AWESOME. It's actually better than Yakuza 0 in terms of story, character development, and world-building. I think it's also a great place to jump onto the series.

I admit, by the end of it, I thought I was playing GHOST IN THE SHELL: STAND ALONE COMPLEX season 1 instead of a Yakuza game, though. At some point we wandered from a serial killer-based crime drama into cyberpunk corporate fraud. Still Yagami is great and I love how many homages to Jackie Chan they make with his fighting style and oddball personality.

As for Majima's epilogue in Kiwami 2, I had to re-watch it in Youtube. It was sweet but I felt like the epilogue of 0 implied most of the business there anyway. My headcanon is he hooks up with Yuna from the hostess club after he retires from Yakuza life anyway.

JUDGE EYES
And that's just the title. The subtitle under it is translated to English as The Reaper's Testament.

I think it's also a great place to jump onto the series.
I think a more accurate description of Judgment is a spin-off series. It's not an entry in the Yakuza series which makes it a great starting point for newcomers to these kinds of games. I don't think it's a good place to start for new Yakuza players though, aside from the Kabukicho and mentions of the Tojo Clan; Judgment is seperate from the Yakuza series for now. I would not mind if the sequel brings in more crossover with the main Yakuza series.

felt like the epilogue of 0 implied most of the business there anyway
I think it's good that Majima got full closure with regard to Makoto. While the players can infer what happened with Makoto, Majima never did so him finding out after 18 years does finally bring him a measure of peace and bittersweet happiness to see that his efforts were not in vain. It was a neat wrap up for that story for the character.

Also, did you try out karaoke with Majima? His song is quite special.

My headcanon is he hooks up with Yuna from the hostess club after he retires from Yakuza life anyway.
I gotta correct you there. It's Yuki, best hostess of Club Sunshine and Club Four Shine. She's even referenced in Judgment iirc (one of the dresses for Saori, I think).

Her reunion with Majima is hilarious to boot :lmao:

It was supposed to be out in January but for SOME reason it was delayed.

What? Is there like a disaster going on or something?

https://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2020/05/judgment-video-game-review.html

The Yakuza series is one of my all time favorite ones in video gaming. This is due to the fact that I am a aging geek and admit to wanting some more works that are written toward the gritty crime drama sort of things than punching out aliens. So, of course, I love a series that includes things like a bunch of brawling men dressed as babies and other wackiness. Okay, okay, the Yakuza series is one with a somewhat bizarrely disjointed tone. The central storyline is usually a gritty Godfather-esque tale of love, honor, revenge, and betrayal that feeds into a greater conspiracy while the subplots are often humorous to the point of ridiculousness.

Japanese lawyers have badges.

Judgment (not a misspelling) isn't technically a Yakuza game. It's actually a side story that takes place in the same world as the other games, a heavily fictionalized version of Tokyo's red light district called Kamurocho. The premise this time is you are disgraced lawyer Takayuki Yagami. Three years earlier, Yagami successfully defended a murder suspect only to have said suspect murder his girlfriend a week later. Understandably disillusioned with the legal profession, he's since taken up being a private detective in order to make ends meet.

I really like Yagami as a character as he's a nice contrast to Kazuma Kiryu. Collecting money for the Yakuza as a way to make ends meet, he feels like a slightly more morally flexible protagonist even if it's just at the start of the game. He differentiates himself from Kiryu in his moveset as well, being a more Jackie Chan-esque speedy fighter than Kiryu's hard-ass brawler. He's also more personable with options to two-time his various girlfriends as well as use a lot more guile than the Dragon of Dojima ever did.

Kaito is a lovable lug.

Yagami's life gets complicated again when he becomes tied-up with a serial killer murdering Yakuza around the neighborhood. The police, not interested in conducting a thorough investigation, arrest Yagami's old associate Hamura and it is up to our antihero to prove him innocent. Except, Hamura is a piece of garbage and possibly tied up with the serial killer. This leads to a complicated plot involving Alzheimers, medical fraud, and real estate. Oh, and as always, it's also tied to Japanese organized crime.

Yagami also a much broader cast of friends and associates with it actually weaponized in the game system. In order to get certain side-missions as well as achieve 100% completion, Yagami must perform various tasks for all of the citizens of Kamurocho in order to build up trust. This is effectively advertising for his business and gets people to spread the word. I also feel it helps the immersion as Yagami has a reason to odd jobs for the people around town. It's literally his job as they pay him to do things unlike Kiryu, who just does them because he's an emotional pushover.

A gorgeous re-envisioning of a famous locale.

The cast of supporting characters is also much broader with Yagami's partner Kaito, his law firm, and even the antagonists are all three-dimensional characters that feel deeper than the typical ones in this series. I feel like the wackiness and focus on "honor" and "loyalty" of the main saga were toned down here enough that it feels more grounded. It's not without its humor or even wackiness but I feel it strikes a better balance.

The majority of the game consists of a beat-em-up combat system that is similar to the other Yakuza games but with a greater focus on stunt moves. You have two fighting styles with Tiger as well as Crane as well as a dozen or more moves that you can buy. You can also focus on improving general abilities with skill points. I happen to like this as you can develop Yagami's fighting style as you see fit.

My favorite villain yet.

Judgment is beautiful and the Kamurocho inside of it is the most loveliest iteration of the region yet. Given that it is roughly the same map as in seven separate Yakuza games, it's amazing how they've mixed the familiar with the new. The NPCs feel more alive, too, and they bustle around town as well as participate in all manner of activities. The usual subquests are present along with the ones you can get from your legal agency and detective agency. However, I should note there's also some interesting new ones like a Virtual Reality game that provides huge amounts of money for our protagonist if he can get enough passes. This is probably the most unique addition to the game among darts, UFO catchers, karaoke, and other activities.

Really, though, I have to say that the plot is the best part of the game. The way things move from the relatively simple serial killer plot to an all-consuming government conspiracy that ties into real Japanese issues is organic as well as entertaining. They also incorporate an investigation, interrogation, and legal scenes that seem equal parts L.A. Noire as well as Phoenix Wright. In the end, everyone's motivations make sense and work perfectly within the setting.

Should you buy this? Yes, absolutely. It's a great introduction to the setting and doesn't require any prior familiarity with the series to enjoy it. I think it's a game that everyone will enjoy with the slightest interest in crime drama. The game also comes with a English dub and it's pretty fantastic. I actually tried them both out during the game and think they're of equal quality. Really, my only complaint is you couldn't romance Saori. If she was a Goth as well as dark and serious, I'd have video game married her.

9.5/10

It was supposed to be out in January but for SOME reason it was delayed.

What? Is there like a disaster going on or something?
Nah it came out in January. In Japan. They're still working on localizing it and I doubt the 'rona has done that process any favors.

I finished 3 and it was okay but I hate the characters so much in 4 that I'm not sure I can finish it.

Those are big characters in 4 5 and 6 so... and yeah 4 is the roughest the series ever gets writing wise just power through trust me. Akiyama does grow on you as does saejima. Tanimura just kinda sucks tho ngl.

Today in the "Graves talks to himself about a franchise only he cares about" thread graves triple posts with his objective undeniable facts based ranking of the mainline yakuza games.

1. Yakuza Kiwami
2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
3. Yakuza 0
4. Yakuza 5
5. Yakuza Kiwami 2
6. Yakuza 6
7. Yakuza 3
8. Yakuza 4

Now theres hasnt been an outright bad yakuza game yet so heres my reasonings for the bottom 3 ranking like that.

Yakuza 6: I really like this ones story but unfortunately it forgets a lot for the sake of the plot and remaining laser focused on kiryu. Fan favorite characters are dropped almost entirely including Majima Gori, Saejima, and my boy Akiyama. Other characters that are dropped include the Ryudo family from 3 (they're close friends of kiryu yet never make an appearance in any scenes in okinawa) and the florist of sai because his presence would outright break the story. Also this game has a wierd twist where kiryu writes a letter that is obviously to one character but is revealed to be to another character that really doesnt make sense. But the gameplay here is great tho.

Yakuza 3: The story here is very soap opera-y involving "evil" twin brothers and stuff like that. But still once you get past that the story is satisfying by the end. However half of the game is a parenting simulator. That's fine and even charming but it kills the replayability of this one. The game is 12 chapters long and the story doesnt properly start until chapter 5 which is titled "the curtain rises". Plus the gameplay here is super rough.

Yakuza 4: it introduces my boy Akiyama and has a fairly good story... until you get to the second half. No spoilers but the story is really messy even by the franchise's standards. Tanimura is boring as fuck. The game has four protagonists 3 of which are cool but the game also felt the need to have 4 antagonists as well for each of the characters to fight. I literally cant remember any iof the 3 final boss battles and and the 4th one shouldnt even be there and is retarded. Not to mention the truly pants on head retarded ass pulls this game made regarding bullets and saejimas backstory and pulling the same "guy is about to reveal information but gets shot before he can" trick like 3 or 4 times. Yeah this ones rough. It's such a mess I cant even organize my thoughts enough to complain in a coherent order.

These rankings are based almost entirely on the main story of each game.

Yakuza: Like a dragon's ranking may change with time because of recency bias.

Last edited:
Back