Where I play and review the Yakuza series

If ya like beat em ups you really gotta play the others because they have basically the same tone.

I accidentaly played Yakuza 7 for 6 hours on a weekday and am too insomianc.

Anyway I am on chapter 10, just beat Ishioda, what are the best classes for party members? I have been running a Breakdancer Kasuga for a while and doing some work, Saeko I wanna explore some of the other jobs but her idol skill that is a full party heal is too good to not have, I don't know what to do with Nanba, tried running him as a Musician and a chef but he sucks at both and I don't wanna keep the default classes too much, Adachi I have tried Host, Bodyguard and Metalhead and he seem to work well, Eri is just a beast as a Crupier and a Night queen, I don't know what to do with Han yet, been running him as a Host for shits and giggles. Any advice? I already completed tye entire Ichiban Holdings side story btw.

what are the best classes for party members?
This is what I got from my old playthrough so feel free to switch up things here and there:
  • Ichiban's best class is his Hero class due to the amount of buffs he can give (especially if his social stats are high). EDIT: His ultimate weapon for this class is pretty useful as well.
  • Saeko is best kept as an Idol as she tends to be a good party healer.
  • Nanba is technically a mage so he ties well with Fortune Teller and Host though I normally keep to his default class until I get all the class skills before switching to one of the two.
  • Adachi is a pretty good tank so I stick him with Enforcer.
  • Eri is good with any damage dealing class so Crupier, Night Queen and her default are already pretty great.
  • Han's default class is actually his best as it takes advantage of his high Agility and he has pretty strong skills with low cost (Head Trauma)
I usually keep them in one class to learn all the inheritable skills that can be used by all classes so that I keep some abilities from each class. Some skills like Fulminating Forecast are useful to have for each class. As for grinding these, you can use the Sotembori Arena and the Sewers (hunt Infested Vagabonds, they are the Metal Slimes of the game).

Came for the Dame dane memes, and the comedy of a turn based street brawler game. Stayed for the great character writing and the political commentary on Japan's state symbiosis with organized crime and their state xenophobia feeding it. Also it's still fucking hilarious. Altho don't know how to feel about the latest party members, Kasuga aside all the party members were essentially normal people with their attacks being funnier because of the JRPG Magic weaponization of things like bad breath, but now Han and Zhao are straight up anime pretty boys using martial arts and guns.

Last edited:
Nothing against their characters, just weird how the last two guys are anime boys when the rest of the party where regular ass people in their 30s and 40s. I guess I need to see how they work in the group dynamic.

It is wierd as fuck how han has the same face and name as a character we saw die in 6 and they never acknowledge it unless you do his social link thing. Not even kiryu acknowledges it and he literally saw the dude die.

There are a bunch of references to previous games that are going right over my head. I assumed Han's weirdly elaborate backstory about being a body double was one of those. I guess I'll know when I start playing the others. Should I start with 0 or it's better to play that one later?

Should I start with 0 or it's better to play that one later?

0 is a good prequel, but really sets your expectations high (plus was developed after 5).
Meanwhile right after it is Kiwami which is a straight remake of a PS2 game, feels a bit raw.

Similarly you go from Kiwami 2 -more liberal remake of Yakuza 2 that runs on the newest engine- straight to PS3 remaster of Yakuza 3.

I started with 0, then played Kiwamis and recently 3 and I was fine, but my friend couldn't finish Kiwami because "it was worse than 0".

If you think you might do the same, save 0 for later and go for Kiwamis.

There are a bunch of references to previous games that are going right over my head. I assumed Han's weirdly elaborate backstory about being a body double was one of those. I guess I'll know when I start playing the others. Should I start with 0 or it's better to play that one later?
0 amd kiwami 1 are both fine starting points. But you definitely wanna play 0 before you get to kiwami 2 ill say that because kiwami 2 has a majima side story that directly follows up on an important characger from 0. And from 2 onwards just play em in order.

Not even kiryu acknowledges it and he literally saw the dude die.
He kinda does acknowledge it though.

Kiryu was just being vague about it when asking Han about it (I'm guessing to be subtle about it lest Ichiban and co. end up asking him for more details about him) and Han himself gives a vague reply that Kiryu is able to pick up on.

Should I start with 0 or it's better to play that one later?
As others have pointed out, 0 and Kiwami 1 are interchangeable as starting points though Kiwami 1 was made with a lot of 0 call-backs so there's that to consider.

Kiwami 2 is probably best saved for later due to the side-campaign that neatly wraps up a plot thread from 0.

After those 3 games, you can play the remaining games in numerological order as part of the Yakuza Remastered Collection.

0, weirdly enough, actually has spoilers for yakuza 4 and by extension 5 and 6. But this could also be viewed as setting up a backstory that otherwise comes completely out of nowhere.

New Lost Judgment trailer with more gameplay and minigames featured (Tony Hawk, eat your heart out).

Also, doggy Heat actions! :grin:

It seems to me like yakuza has been annualized.
Wouldnt be surprised if yakuza 8 releases in late 2022.

Idk if this a good thing or not. Only time can tell.

Back