Where I play and review the Yakuza series

Been playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Been having a good time though it is a bit annoying that I can't pick up bicycles on command anymore.

Ichiban is such a dorky manchild.

Not that I'm complaining. The dude's hilarious and pretty charismatic in his own right. I'm so used to Kiryu as the stoic MC for a while now so his dorky expressiveness is an interesting contrast (almost like Shinada though admittedly I got that impression from his karaoke). It will be interesting to see how the series will go on with him as the lead.

I'll get back to Yakuza 4 eventually.

Eventually.

Good luck. Its rough towars the end there.
Which characters do you hate? Akiyama is great as a loan shark who is uncharacteristically caring for peoples plights. Saejima is a great character as well but hes better in 5. Tanimura just sucks ipp give you that.

Ichiban is Great. Hes filling Kiryus shoes effortlessly. I'm at chapter 10 now.

I just wanted to share ichabans theme as it doesnt seem to be in the english release.

I just wanted to share ichabans theme as it doesnt seem to be in the english release.
According to Reddit, the theme is in the ending credits.

Shame JP and EN don't have an opening sequence like the previous games and Judgment. The song's pretty good.

Only fan versions exist for Y7:

Altho whether or not judgement is canon is in a wierd gray area now that Yakuza 7 is out.

Genda Law office and Yagami's detective agency can both be seen in Yakuza 7 but because of
the kamurocho 3k plan wiping out the Tojo clan in 2017 it would have been impossible for Yagami and Kaito to be dealing with tojo officers in late 2018

Last edited:
Altho whether or not judgement is canon is in a wierd gray area now that Yakuza 7 is out.

Genda Law office and Yagami's detective agency can both be seen in Yakuza 7 but because of
the kamurocho 3k plan wiping out the Tojo clan in 7 it would have been impossible for Yagami and Kaito to be dealing with tojo officers in late 2018

Clearly Yakuza 8 is about the Tojo Clan being rebuilt!

After ichibans second game they should do a prequel set in 1993 with majima as the sole protagonist called Yakuza: Like a demon.

Edit:

I've gotten to the part in yakuza 7 where you fight
kiryu
and the fact that his ai is programmed to not attack female party members is such a great little character thing.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll happen in the background but I think ichabans story is going to focus more on ijincho and the seiryu clan in the future. Idk haven't finished the games yet.
If the Tojo Clan or Omi Alliance are being rebuilt, it's probably some knock-off that Ichiban takes out in a sub-story. With a fight and a speech that ends with that substory finished jingle.

I think Judgment can still fit as Yagami's agency and Genda's firm would still have clients, just not Tojo ones.

Plus with Aoki being exposed as a homicidal charlatan at the end, it may put an end to the support that Kamurocho PD had throughout Y:LAD. If Don Quijote renews their licensing deal with RGG Studios, the PD may end up being torn down and the Don Quijote may be restored there once more.

I think Judgment can still fit as Yagami's agency and Genda's firm would still have clients, just not Tojo ones.
Bruh judgment clearly shows the tojo clan in kamurocho in late 2018 when according yakuza 7 the tojo clan was pushed out in 2017.

The games dont line up at all.

Also now it seems unlikely that the tojo will return at all.

daigo and watase have willingly dissolved the tojo and the omi alliance respectively and have no plans to bring them back in the post credits scene of yakuza 7

The only reason Daigo is not the worst Tojo Chairman is that Kiryu and a literal 5th Columnist traitor were previous ones.

The only reason Daigo is not the worst Tojo Chairman is that Kiryu and a literal 5th Columnist traitor were previous ones.
Diago does a good job in 3 and 5. Kiryu wasnt wrong to choose him. Hell the only reason they agreed to dissolve the clan was because he felt the yakuza had lost what it means to be yakuza. They had no sense of honor or family and he didnt want that rot to continue. At the very least hes a better man than his father was.

Diago does a good job in 3 and 5. Kiryu wasnt wrong to choose him. Hell the only reason they agreed to dissolve the clan was because he felt the yakuza had lost what it means to be yakuza. They had no sense of honor or family and he didnt want that rot to continue. At the very least hes a better man than his father was.

That's actually what I mean in that Kiryu passed onto Daigo that they were heroic Robin Hood defenders of the poor versus, well, being criminals. They were ALWAYS criminals. Which, of course, meant that when you turn down massively profitable land deals to protect an orphanage then you are doing it wrong.

when according yakuza 7 the tojo clan was pushed out in 2017
Oh, whoops. Retcons then? :scratch:

I kind of gave up on directly focusing on the story ever since rubber bullets. My knowledge of the timeline of the series is quite lacking as a result.

I'd say Daigo's decision to dissolve the Tojo was probably one of the smartest decision he made as Chairman. He and Watase had some awareness in realising how easily manipulated Yakuza are so dissolving the bigger groups puts a dent for potential manipulators.

Also, 15th anniversary stream on December 8:
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/11/20/yakuza-15th-anniversary-stream-december-8th/

That's actually what I mean in that Kiryu passed onto Daigo that they were heroic Robin Hood defenders of the poor versus, well, being criminals. They were ALWAYS criminals. Which, of course, meant that when you turn down massively profitable land deals to protect an orphanage then you are doing it wrong.
I think you're missing the point of one of the series big themes. The yakuza have their roots in samurai. Early on it was all about honor and family etc. Theyd even police themselves if their members got too out of hand or hurt civilians. That's been lost as time goes on and that's a big theme of the series. The romantic view of the yakuza as honor bound outlaws is fading away.

Last edited:
Not exactly on topic for this discussion but there is the excerpt from the review whereby actual yakuza members plays and provides his thoughts on Yakuza 3:
https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

M: Kiryu is the way yakuza used to be. We kept the streets clean. People liked us. We didn't bother ordinary citizens. We respected our bosses. Now, guys like that only exist in video games.
M: What's the deal with Kiryu's scarlet red shirt? He's supposed to be a former boss of the Inagawakai–and he dresses like a chinpira (low level yakuza punk). He's a yakuza, not a host.
S: Except for Kiryu's crappy shirt, it's realistic. The top executive yakuza are all wearing good suits. They look like businessmen. The cabaret girls have incredible outfits.The hosts in the game are dressed like hosts. Somebody did his homework.

EDIT: Edited to mention numerous members. At least 3 yakuza members played the game.

Last edited:

Judgment sequel confirmed.
:hatersgonnahate:

Global release on 24.09.2021. I guess Resident Evil Village and Disco Elysium: Final Cut aren't the only major releases I'll be playing this year.

I am currently playing Yakuza 7.

I am really liking how one second I am having a brawl with Yakuza dressed up in adult baby regalia in a diaper cafe, and then after I beat them up they have a heart to heart talk with a new parent about how to be a proper husband and father for his family, but also the game starts with a really sad sequence of Kasuga having to take the fall for a murder he didn't commit for a man he considers his father and when he goes out he doesn't even give him the time of day. The game constantly jumps from really bizarre comedy, to down to earth comedy to really effective drama. This weird mix of tone somehow works, probably because of the quirkiness of japanese media being baked into it's foundation.

Consider me a fan now, at least of the 7th game.

Back