Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grec

First time out of the vault
Really, it seems like the perfect weapon for this game. You can have different arrow types like exploding arrows, fire arrows and poison tipped arrows. Plus the crossbow is a extremely modifiable weapon that can have things like scopes added to it. Hopefully we get to see it in Lonesome Road, but if it's not in there I'm gonna cry on the floor and cut myself.

Maybe it was on the drawing board, but got cut. I don't work for Obsidian or Bethesda, so who knows.

Bioshock had a crossbow (and was the only game I can think of where I actually liked it), and even then it seemed to work exactly like a gun; slap the clip in and fire. A real crossbow is complex, has a unique firing and especially reloading motion, and probably creating an entire set of animations (out of Gamebryo, no less) for one weapon just wasn't worth it.

There are some Xbow mods on the Nexus, but they are basically single-shot rifles with a makeshift string and craftable arrows, and reload like guns.

Grec said:
Hopefully we get to see it in Lonesome Road, but if it's not in there I'm gonna cry on the floor and cut myself.

It'd probably be less painful to download the GECK and make one yourself, if only slightly. :P

To me, a crossbow never quite felt like it fit the setting, especially when one takes the long view and considers the series' themes and influences all the way back to the first game. They seem to have steered tribal weapons development away from anything more complex than thrown projectiles, whether to underscore the tribes' primitive natures or to avoid accusations of aping or parodying Native American cultures. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the "civilized" folk, who've already made the gradual climb back up from scavenging the old world for guns to manufacturing their own. Neither social strata really had call to put the effort into re-inventing or re-popularizing the crossbow. Historically speaking, it was kind of a half-step between classical bows and rifles, anyway, and this is a setting where rifles are readily accessible.

It doesn't seem that it would be something that would really even occur to people to build, especially a people descended from "world of tomorrow" first-worlders, and for the same reasons you probably wouldn't find 'em just laying around in pre-war ruins. Even in real life, they're exclusively a niche weapon, possessed mainly by period re-enactors, "I wanna be able to say I've killed one of everything with one of everything" Ted Nugent-types, and the sort of junior high-schoolers that buy mass-produced chinatown weaponry from the same dank hobby shops where they get their Magic the Gathering cards and 20 oz. Mountain Dews.

(If you really want a crossbow, though, the dart gun from FO3 comes pretty close for most intents and purposes, and I'm sure there's already a mod on the Nexus to get it into NV.)

(While we're on the subject, though, it never did fully make sense to me that tribals never got around to re-discovering traditional bows-and-arrows, or slings at the very least.)

There is a Crossbow mdo for New Vegas too.

no, I am not gonna do your Nexus search for you.

I donn't see why a crossbow would eb added at all, unless is some crazy Green Arrow-esque crossbow that has things like explosive arrows, but there is the Grenade rifle and launcher for that.

I do find it kind of odd that the Legion doesn't use any sort of ranged weapon like crossbows, but I'm glad they didn't put anything like that in as it would have made it feel to much like the Elder Scrolls. Not to mention that bows and crossbows rarely work well in a game, the only games I've ever enjoyed crossbows in are Bioshock and Mount & Blade.

Walpknut said:

I donn't see why a crossbow would eb added at all, unless is some crazy Green Arrow-esque crossbow that has things like explosive arrows, but there is the Grenade rifle and launcher for that.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40660

That's the only one on nexus, and to even call that a crossbow is a little ridiculous. It's more of a spear gun than anything.

Takashi said:
Walpknut said:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40660

That's the only one on nexus, and to even call that a crossbow is a little ridiculous. It's more of a spear gun than anything.

That's weird, I could swear I saw a "survivalist crossbow" as oen of the hotfiles a few months back, now I can't find it, maybe just liek the killable kids mod the guy just took it down?

THANK YOU OP

It's so weird there are no crossbows in the Fallout world, especially with all the Road Warrior vibe.

Crossbow is something that fits the post-apo world SO SO SO perfectly. Besides bows it's probably the first kind of ranged weaponry that people after the war would try to make from the scratch (no, repeater rifles and 9mm pistols can't be found on anyone after 200 years of nuclear hell). It's easily build from some srap metal and steel strings, ammo is easily made, it's very compact and can be build in any size, like strapped on a forearm.

To me the sheer lack of if seems just so illogical and contrived.

And no, a working game model is not hard to make (Dart Gun anyone). I even remember the old Hitman: Silent Assassin had a crossbow that i loved.

Think of it, there is a a steam powered gun that shoots spikes, a lawn mover blade that seems to burn from the sheer coolness of it and protects the wearer with an oven mit, an animal hand strapped to a human arm but OMFG, NOBODY EVER THOUGHT OF MAKING A FREAKIN CROSSBOW.

GIVE US A CROSSBOW

Maybe they didn't need to make a crossbow because people like the gun runners had enough creativity and resourcefullness of learning how to fabricate their own guns by examining the ones they scavenged.

In Road Warrior, people used (cross)bows because guns and ammo were extremely scarce.
That's obviously not the case in Fallout.
A Fallout set in a different part of the world (Europe or Australia) would probably have less firearms and more crossbows and makeshift weapons.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you on the "perfect fit" assertion, but as to the rest...

:::SILUS::: said:
(no, repeater rifles and 9mm pistols can't be found on anyone after 200 years of nuclear hell).
Fallout may give a respectful nod to Mad Max here and there, but it is definitely not the same setting. Save for the very beginnings of the first two games, guns and ammo have never been very hard to come by in the wasteland. The people after the war hadn't lived through "200 years of Nuclear hell"-- the first Vault known to re-open its doors did so a scant 13 years after the war, and there were scattered communities of sheltered or lucky survivors that organized even before then-- and the first thing they probably did was to stockpile every gun they could lay hands on. These were weapons that at least a significant portion of the survivors were familiar with the use and maintenance of, and it was probably a lot easier to do so than to devote themselves to experimenting with the production and mastery of more primitive forms of defense. Guns were the key to wasteland supremacy, and would've been carefully maintained, so it makes sense that there'd be more than a few left around. Fast-forward to 7 or 8 decades after the bombs fell, and the Gun Runners are already in business. They can't be the only production house, either, though they're undoubtedly the best.

In short, it should be no trouble at all for a savvy wastelander to get their hands on a gun. (Most wastelanders just don't seem to be all that savvy.)

It's easily build from some srap metal and steel strings, ammo is easily made, it's very compact and can be build in any size, like strapped on a forearm.
I know it seems like it would be that simple, but... it's just not. No offense. I've got friends that are into this sort of thing, including one that builds medieval and renaissance weapons of professional grade as both a serious hobby and a supplemental income, and crossbows aren't as easy as they look. Especially ones that work worth a damn.

Think of it, there is a a steam powered gun that shoots spikes, a lawn mover blade that seems to burn from the sheer coolness of it and protects the wearer with an oven mit, an animal hand strapped to a human arm but OMFG, NOBODY EVER THOUGHT OF MAKING A FREAKIN CROSSBOW.
With the exception of the Shishkebab, those were all Fallout 3 weapons. Granted, they were fun to use, but they were all for the lulz, they all tried a little bit too hard to be junktech kewl, and I think we can take their absence from New Vegas as a tacit admission that the designers think along the same lines as you and I-- they're too complex and nonsensical to be in the game, especially when other, more practical technologies have been overlooked.

The crossbow falls into the same category though, I think, wouldn't you? A regular bow is easier to make and just as silent and deadly, if not as concealable (but really, the kind of person who's going to be interested in a ranged weapon that's both concealable and silent is probably going to opt for a less conspicuous, less distinct, and typically less bulky silenced pistol, which are readily available in both the Mojave and the Capitol Wasteland).

Edit: Walked away from the computer with the Reply form open and was double-ninja'd. But yeah, what Hassknecht and Walpknut said.

Those are all good explanations, but the complete and utter lack of it in the whole Fallout world thus far is just so illogical and contrived.

And it's so easy to make one, not the historical replica ones that your friends makes wich take alot of craftsmanship with wood, etc. and are practically works of art. FFS, as a kid i made one out of a couple of pencils, some ruber string, a LEGO winch and that thing that holds the clothes on the clothesline. Shooting wooden grill sticks out of that was enough to pierce an aluminum can.

There are some awesome videos on Youtube that show the power of even small crossbows that can fit a pocket, made out of office supplies.

Yamu said:
Grec said:
Hopefully we get to see it in Lonesome Road, but if it's not in there I'm gonna cry on the floor and cut myself.

It'd probably be less painful to download the GECK and make one yourself, if only slightly. :P

To me, a crossbow never quite felt like it fit the setting, especially when one takes the long view and considers the series' themes and influences all the way back to the first game. They seem to have steered tribal weapons development away from anything more complex than thrown projectiles, whether to underscore the tribes' primitive natures or to avoid accusations of aping or parodying Native American cultures. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the "civilized" folk, who've already made the gradual climb back up from scavenging the old world for guns to manufacturing their own. Neither social strata really had call to put the effort into re-inventing or re-popularizing the crossbow. Historically speaking, it was kind of a half-step between classical bows and rifles, anyway, and this is a setting where rifles are readily accessible.

It doesn't seem that it would be something that would really even occur to people to build, especially a people descended from "world of tomorrow" first-worlders, and for the same reasons you probably wouldn't find 'em just laying around in pre-war ruins. Even in real life, they're exclusively a niche weapon, possessed mainly by period re-enactors, "I wanna be able to say I've killed one of everything with one of everything" Ted Nugent-types, and the sort of junior high-schoolers that buy mass-produced chinatown weaponry from the same dank hobby shops where they get their Magic the Gathering cards and 20 oz. Mountain Dews.

(If you really want a crossbow, though, the dart gun from FO3 comes pretty close for most intents and purposes, and I'm sure there's already a mod on the Nexus to get it into NV.)

(While we're on the subject, though, it never did fully make sense to me that tribals never got around to re-discovering traditional bows-and-arrows, or slings at the very least.)

Get this: Van Buren was supposed to have a crossbow. The original creators of Fallout thought a crossbow would fit the setting.

THANK YOU OP

It's so weird there are no crossbows in the Fallout world, especially with all the Road Warrior vibe.

Crossbow is something that fits the post-apo world SO SO SO perfectly. Besides bows it's probably the first kind of ranged weaponry that people after the war would try to make from the scratch (no, repeater rifles and 9mm pistols can't be found on anyone after 200 years of nuclear hell). It's easily build from some srap metal and steel strings, ammo is easily made, it's very compact and can be build in any size, like strapped on a forearm.

To me the sheer lack of if seems just so illogical and contrived.

And no, a working game model is not hard to make (Dart Gun anyone). I even remember the old Hitman: Silent Assassin had a crossbow that i loved.

GIVE US A CROSSBOW

Exactly. There are so odd weapons in Fallout, what exactly would make a crossbow so implausible? The Deathclaw/Yao Guai gauntlet would probably rot and fall apart, the Shishkebab has an unlimited source of fire...these junkteck weapons are all over FO:NV, not just Fallout 3. What I don't understand about the Fallout community is that they think if something is not in the game then the devs thought that there was a good reason not to put it in the game. Maybe they just straight up forgot about crossbows, I mean, nothing even relative to a crossbow is in the GECK files.

Those are all good explanations, but the complete and utter lack of it in the whole Fallout world thus far is just so illogical and contrived.

And it's so easy to make one, not the historical replica ones that your friends makes wich take alot of craftsmanship with wood, etc. and are practically works of art. FFS, as a kid i made one out of a couple of pencils, some ruber string, a LEGO winch and that thing that holds the clothes on the clothesline. Shooting wooden grill sticks out of that was enough to pierce an aluminum can.

There are some awesome videos on Youtube that show the power of even small crossbows that can fit a pocket, made out of office supplies.

Not having a crossbow in Falllout is logical, when surviving in the wasteland, people don't want to waste time reloading after every shot, especially considering the long loading time. Also the people in fallout who wouldn't have access to guns, through buying them or getting them through a job, wouldn't have access to the schematics of a crossbow( as seen in honest hearts). And just because crossbows were in mad max, dosen't mean that it should be in Fallout.

White Knight said:
Not having a crossbow in Falllout is logical, when surviving in the wasteland, people don't want to waste time reloading after every shot, especially considering the long loading time. Also the people in fallout who wouldn't have access to guns, through buying them or getting them through a job, wouldn't have access to the schematics of a crossbow( as seen in honest hearts). And just because crossbows were in mad max, dosen't mean that it should be in Fallout.

No, they rather charge other people with welding poles and animal hands. And it takes about a second to reload/cock a crossbow.

The schematics part of your post is so mindnumbing i wont even try to reply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back