Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not illogical or contrived their absence, The people in the fallout universe just didn't need to make primitive weapons because they had access to much more powerful weapons, you don't trade a silenced 9mm for a bulky thing as a crossbow, they would make sense to appear in some settlements but not a standard or preferred equipment of a Wastelander.

Walpknut said:
It's not illogical or contrived their absence, The people in the fallout universe just didn't need to make primitive weapons because they had access to much more powerful weapons, you don't trade a silenced 9mm for a bulky thing as a crossbow, they would make sense to appear in some settlements but not a standard or preferred equipment of a Wastelander.

How the hell did survivors of a nuclear holocaust have access to "powerful weapons"? Most of those survivors were mangy, diseased, starved people scraping whatever they could for defense. Even 200 years after the great war most of the people barely survive and live by on scavenging among radioactive waste, most of the settlements are nothing more then collapsing ruins filled with filth, enviroment is littered by deadly pollution and cannibal raiders are lurking around every corner. These are not people with "powerful weapons and phat lewts".

And nobody said it should be featured as the most used weapon but that it's bogus and illogical that absolutely nobody thus far uses it.

Oh, and as Grec said, it was supposed to appear in van Buren, that thing made by original Fallout makers and all.

:::SILUS::: said:
Walpknut said:

How the hell did survivors of a nuclear holocaust have access to "powerful weapons"? Most of those survivors were mangy, diseased, starved people scraping whatever they could for defense. Even 200 years after the great war most of the people barely survive and live by on scavenging among radioactive waste, most of the settlements are nothing more then collapsing ruins filled with filth, enviroment is littered by deadly pollution and cannibal raiders are lurking around every corner. These are not people with "powerful weapons and phat lewts".

And nobody said it should be featured as the most used weapon but that it's bogus and illogical that absolutely nobody thus far uses it.

Oh, and as Grec said, it was supposed to appear in van Buren, that thing made by original Fallout makers and all.

Well the weapons they do have are certainly more powerful than a medeval weapon is what he was getting at.

In Fallout's 2077, every US citizen was DammitBoy and thus had over 9000 firearms all over their homes.
Crossbows and such weapons are for pinko commies.

Sabirah said:
Well the weapons they do have are certainly more powerful than a medeval weapon is what he was getting at.

Like golf clubs, BB Guns, animal hands, baseballs bats, axes, knives, spears, razors, cleavers, welding poles, sledge hammers, knuckle dusters, nightsticks, pool cues, dog tags, machetes?

Those things don't require yo uto make a complex mechanism that eats up as much resources as a big weapon to get less. The animal pwas are basicaly just apendages strapped to your hand, very primitive things only tribals use, and the Dogtag fist is a bunch of dogtags tied to yoru hand, it's not exactly something that needs shooting mechanisms.

Walpknut said:
Those things don't require yo uto make a complex mechanism that eats up as much resources as a big weapon to get less. The animal pwas are basicaly just apendages strapped to your hand, very primitive things only tribals use, and the Dogtag fist is a bunch of dogtags tied to yoru hand, it's not exactly something that needs shooting mechanisms.

I wasn't saying a crossbow is easier to make then those things, read the posts before repliying, i replied to a post saying that "all the people in the wasteland use far more powerful weapons then a crossbows". Oh, and you can make a crossbow that pierces you side to side in about 2 hours out of common junk you find anywhere like car leaf springs.

And I am sayign that the pay off is completely different, using a knife doesn't eat up much resources, it's pretty easy and quick to use, is less powerful than a rifle but you don't need to spend much time making ammo for it and makign shooting mechanism, so putting them as an example of weaker weapons as a justification of the existence of crossbows is flawed. Making a crossbow that is gonna break out of junk when you can just sell that junk and buy a 9mm doesn't seem too smart, specialy if the crossbow is held together by duct tape and snot.

Walpknut said:
And I am sayign that the pay off is completely different, using a knife doesn't eat up much resources, it's pretty easy and quick to use, is less powerful than a rifle but you don't need to spend much time making ammo for it and makign shooting mechanism, so putting them as an example of weaker weapons as a justification of the existence of crossbows is flawed. Making a crossbow that is gonna break out of junk when you can just sell that junk and buy a 9mm doesn't seem too smart, specialy if the crossbow is held together by duct tape and snot.

Well then, screw you hunting rifle, you eat so much resources, you're not as easy to use or maintain and you need ammo, i'll just charge that guy over there who's clearly armed with an assault rifle with my trusty knife, maybe he misses.

Making a crossbow out of scratch doesn't mean that it's shitty. A crossbow made of things like a car leaf springs turns car hoods into fishing nets and is practically unbreakable.

And please explain to me how in the hell would you buy a pistol by exchanging it for a pile of junk in a post-apo world where people eat each other alive over a glass of clean water?

I think they could have pulled off adding a crossbow to FO3 with Point Lookout, and then kept it as a base weapon in New Vegas.

I almost want to think a crossbow would have fit in well with Dead Money, but I can't really justify as to why.

But screw that, I want a gauss pistol in Lonesome Road.

Jesus why do you have such a fucking boner for crossbows.

I the fallout world guns have always been plentiful as has ammunition. The people were prepared for communist paratroopers landing on their lawns and probably had sanbags in front of the living room window so they could set up a machinegun nest. Making a crossbow would be effort when you have no effort to just use a gun.

And I doubt your average waster knows how to build a fucking crossbow out of a car like fucking macyver. They probably just said fuck it and used one of the several million guns lying about. Bullets too. Fuckers must breed when you aren't looking.

And rather than a crossbow, I imagine if somebody made anything, they made a regular bow. Which would be easier to make from animals and shit.

:::SILUS::: said:
Walpknut said:

Well then, screw you hunting rifle, you eat so much resources, you're not as easy to use or maintain and you need ammo, i'll just charge that guy over there who's clearly armed with an assault rifle with my trusty knife, maybe he misses.

Making a crossbow out of scratch doesn't mean that it's shitty. A crossbow made of things like a car leaf springs turns car hoods into fishing nets and is practically unbreakable.

And please explain to me how in the hell would you buy a pistol by exchanging it for a pile of junk in a post-apo world where people eat each other alive over a glass of clean water?

Most of the water in the mojave is clean. In good springs they have a source which is used often by the townspeople. And to answer your question about the buying, you can buy guns from goodsprings general stores, so I assume they are very common, considering the mojave wasn't hit hard, and that you can buy them almost anywhere in the games. I don't know where you get the idea its complete fucking anarchy, because most people just want to live in peace and have created settlements, such as westside and novac, where the people seem to have no problem getting along.

Ilosar said:
Bioshock had a crossbow (and was the only game I can think of where I actually liked it), and even then it seemed to work exactly like a gun; slap the clip in and fire. A real crossbow is complex, has a unique firing and especially reloading motion, and probably creating an entire set of animations (out of Gamebryo, no less) for one weapon just wasn't worth it.

There are some Xbow mods on the Nexus, but they are basically single-shot rifles with a makeshift string and craftable arrows, and reload like guns.

You have probably provided they ONLY justifiable reason why there wasn't a crossbow in New Vegas. Ya, it's hard to render with the gamebryo engine.

The average wastelander is armed with a KITCHEN KNIFE, not a GAUSS GATLING GUN. Hell, even in the NCR the best NCR troops are only fitted with light machine guns

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Light_machine_gun

Scroll down to background. The best of the best of the NCR use Light Machine Guns. I don't think that "all da wastelanders have phat l00ts" is a compelling argument.

Grec said:
Ilosar said:
Bioshock had a crossbow (and was the only game I can think of where I actually liked it), and even then it seemed to work exactly like a gun; slap the clip in and fire. A real crossbow is complex, has a unique firing and especially reloading motion, and probably creating an entire set of animations (out of Gamebryo, no less) for one weapon just wasn't worth it.

There are some Xbow mods on the Nexus, but they are basically single-shot rifles with a makeshift string and craftable arrows, and reload like guns.

You have probably provided they ONLY justifiable reason why there wasn't a crossbow in New Vegas. Ya, it's hard to render with the gamebryo engine.

The average wastelander is armed with a KITCHEN KNIFE, not a GAUSS GATLING GUN. Hell, even in the NCR the best NCR troops are only fitted with light machine guns

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Light_machine_gun

Scroll down to background. The best of the best of the NCR use Light Machine Guns. I don't think that "all da wastelanders have phat l00ts" is a compelling argument. [/i]

Nobody said "all da wastelanders have phat l00ts". Walpknut said that wastelanders would have a more powerful and effective weapons compared to the crossbow, such as a 9mm pistol.

I'd always take a bow or a crossbow over the next retarded real life weapon, or models who look almost the same like the real life pendant just with a different name. I don't really give that much care for weapons anyway, but after Fallout 1, there was not a single interesting and creative weapon in the games. It is an odd decision that one includes tribals ( :roll: ) and then doesn't give them particular fitting weapons (a bow... atleast). No, instead cool awzUm weaponz have been added, which is yawn inducing.

Nobody said "all da wastelanders have phat l00ts". Walpknut said that wastelanders would have a more powerful and effective weapons compared to the crossbow, such as a 9mm pistol.

A puny 9mm pistol is nothing compared to a proper crafted bolt and a strong crossbow. The only disadvantage is that it's not automatic and reloading takes longer.

Most wastelanders I see don't even have guns. They're in rags and are armed with kitchen knives.

It probably has nothing to do with in-game lore, probably just has to do with the game engine or the devs never got around to the idea of one.

You know Silus I think that your understating the complexity of a crossbow. It's a pretty complex device in it's mechanisms and I doubt that after a nuclear war people would be thinking about such things.

Your un-educated in the construction of these weapons correct? Now remember how a crossbow works and just try to think in your head how you would build one. It's pretty much what your expecting the post-apocalyptic suburbanites to do; from zero experience mentally design and craft a crossbow. We can all do the mental part here right?

The Enclave 86 said:
You know Silus I think that your understating the complexity of a crossbow. It's a pretty complex device in it's mechanisms and I doubt that after a nuclear war people would be thinking about such things.

Your un-educated in the construction of these weapons correct? Now remember how a crossbow works and just try to think in your head how you would build one. It's pretty much what your expecting the post-apocalyptic suburbanites to do; from zero experience mentally design and craft a crossbow. We can all do the mental part here right?

By that logic, nobody would be able to use or create guns.

Grec said:
The Enclave 86 said:

By that logic, nobody would be able to use or create guns.

A group of people with automated machinery and such with access to fully detailed schematics can; an average mainlander cannot create a gun.

The use of a gun is simple in comparison, you point at things you don't like and then they go away. You could give me a factory made pistol and I could probably find out, through messing around, how to strip it down for cleaning and such. Not exactly the same as scavenging the materials for a crossbow and designing and making a mechanism for increasing tension in the bowstring is it?

Can someone tell me what it would've hurt to include a crossbow? e have throwing spears for Pete's sake, but a we couldn't put a crossbow into the equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back