Why do you think a crossbow was never added?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by Grec, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    There is definitely some kind of sexual tension between you two.

2. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    I, for one, would welcome a properly done crossbow. It has several advantages for stealth operations (as opposed to suppressed handguns), or hunting.

My main concern would be whether it's simply an oversized FO3 dart gun (cobble together a dart gun with a toy car, surgical tubing and a paintgun and some poison glands) or a legitimate crossbow.

A crossbow has an egregiously slow rate of fire compared to more modern guns. Even fast hand-drawn crossbow with a pro crossbowman could probably get off about 8-10 bolts off per minute. It makes up for this with some pretty good accuracy and more power than such bolts need. Add some poison... pretty lethal against lightly armored foes.

A historically accurate heavy crossbow would be a real pain, especially a torsion-powered one. One round per minute if you're good, up to ten-fifteen minutes if you're not. And then you can't really move.

3. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    This problem was partialy solved 1800 years ago, by a famous Chinese strategists. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

4. DevilTakeMe

DevilTakeMe Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Sep 12, 2011
    Of course, the idea of using a CHINESE design in Post-Apocalyptic America by a Roman-themed faction has its own problems.

... YOU COMMUNIST.

"But it existed before Communism was even invented!"

Semantics! A Communist tactic to divert us from the fact that you're a Communist!

But seriously, like it says in the article itself, nobody uses or has used a repeating crossbow of the chinese design in quite awhile. And I'd hate to try and aim the thing with that big wooden magazine.

Crossbows in the last century, for instance, are mostly sporting or hunting varieties. Some actual militaries use crossbows, often to fire grappling hooks or bolts for ziplines. These could just be repurposed to fire regular arrows. And still other militaries (as late as the 80s) had used poison-tipped crossbow bolts in lieu of suppressed/silenced weapons.

So, in all likelihood, Wasteland crossbows would be rare, but I could see them building a few. Even the repeating crossbow as a one-off unique weapon would be fun.

5. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Nah, that wasn't a point.
    When an old Chinese nation could involve the repeating crossbow, it cannot be a serious problem for a modern Vault-descended technicians too, right? (especially the descendents from Vault 53 were a serious engineers)

Feel free to call it an imperialist crossbow then. :lol:

6. :::SILUS:::

:::SILUS::: Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Aug 18, 2011
    Actually, i wouldn't mind a hot anal ride on a dervish. They already got skirts so..........

7. whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish Brahmin Cavalry Commander

Jul 3, 2007

translation: You are going to continue to ignore the fact that I raped the living shit out of your arguments and the fact that you resorted to calling me a troll because you ran out of ideas.

:clap:

8. :::SILUS:::

Aug 18, 2011
    You're clearly winning. That must be the reason of your desperate taunting. Keep whirling little dervish. :lol:

9. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Get a room guys.
    This crossbow talk is tearing you both apart.

10. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    Yeah, you're scaring the kids.

11. Sabirah

Sabirah Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 10, 2011
    This thread is really childish

12. whirlingdervish

Jul 3, 2007
    What really defines desperate is hoping as hard as you can that someone will be offended if another person attacks the screen name they chose for themself instead of actually debating the points put forth.

newsflash kiddo: If I was bothered by images of dervishes, like a certain insecure 12 year-old who thinks anything that resembles a skirt must be the feminine, I wouldn't have chosen the nick.

in other news: you still haven't refuted a thing I said, while I crapped liberally all over your "points" in favor of putting a stupid crossbow in this game to appease the kiddies.

13. :::SILUS:::

Aug 18, 2011
    Oh my, he's gaining momentum, it's just a man and his will to survive now. You're winning it, don't give up now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE[/youtube]

14. Sabirah

Sabirah Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 10, 2011
    :::SILUS:::, you seem overly aggressive. whirlingdervish, So do you.

This thread needs to be locked

15. whirlingdervish

Jul 3, 2007

Looks like you missed something... Read it again for good measure.

16. :::SILUS:::

Aug 18, 2011
    Oh my, now he's quoting HIMSELF.

17. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Grow the hell up, dervish and Silus.

Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.