Why I left Reddit for NMA (new guy)

JustAShcookius

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Hello
My name is Fred and this is my first post here. I have observed this community for many months and liked what its members had to say about lore and other things. Even more important I noticed that when someone had a disagreement, they used their brain and explained themselves clearly as to why they disagreed. People in Reddit unhelpfully spam "idiot pleb, this guy calls himself a (insert game here) player but he dont know what he's talking about". In short Reddit is a sludge bucket of naysayers and fartbags who love nothing better than to spam their subreddit full of toxic boring memes and "OMG THIS GAME IS RACIST." troll posts. Always hated memes and will never like em.

My hate started for Reddit a long time ago. I noticed how people in r\fallout were simultaneously jerking each other off and pointing pistols at each other's head. r\bioshock is dead, period. r\classic fallout and r\fallout lore are filled with, lemme just say, uninformed players who post the same old "how do ya get Virgil to come back to the Institute" time wasters. r\metro is dead. r\tf2 is chock full of BORING - DEGENERATE - MEMES!!! UGH!

Noticed a guy got downvoted for disagreeing with the meta that "bethesda saved fallout". While I might have disagreed with him myself, I noticed he had a pretty good argument about Troika games, I guess it was a clone of Interplay? Anyway Bethesda outbids Troika games and gets the IP anyway. But the POINT I'm making is that he had a good ARGUMENT that wasn't even APPRECIATED by other Redditors. He was just trashed. I started to wonder about my reddit career.

The final straw happened when this Amazon movies Fallout series came out. I voiced my displeasure on r\fallout loudly. I formulated an argument about the people we know, including Toddie Howard, who are not writers or even make games. This argument revolved around the fact that these men are not informed or even care to research Fallout lore, they are just company managers who are trained to bring in the bucks, kick their employees asses and run the coffee machine. Guess what? Massive downvotes, a moderator had to delete some very toxic comments, and eventually they gave up moderating it and they deleted the post. I was called an idiot, a anti-progress crybaby, and a internet troll bringing hate down on "innocent" individuals. Right before the post was deleted they started to circlejerk each other about people like me who disrespect people who are doing Fallout good! Fallout 76 is the BEST game now!

Fine.

Nevermind that it was the worst thing to happen to Bethesda ever. Nevermind that people who payed for tricentennial edition were fucked over with their scammed plastic toys. Nevermind the game was unplayable for half a ####### year! Nevermind we got Atomic Shop and micro-transactions on a $60 game. Nevermind that people were scammed out of their "canvas" bags and never got replacements for the real nylon ones, Nevermind that peoples inventories were disappearing in front of their eyes. Nevermind the duping glitches. Nevermind the perfectly accessible debug room with every ####### item in the game available at a moments notice. eh... I could just go on.

What do I think about the games?

Fallout 1 is the best. Fallout 2 is great but less dark and serious. Fallout 3 was okay but the story and rpg elements were a joke. Fallout NV was a huge step up but still not as good as the first two games. Fallout 4 is lamentably fun for a while (Hell those animations and gunplay mechanics were AMAZING), but its story is even worse than 3. I own Fallout 76 and I can say as of its current build that it is playable and fun, BUT BUT BUT and I mean BUT! It is a train wreck and a lonely shell of a game that had so much potential. No rpg at all, the npcs they added are a joke, its just bad. The fun ends after a few hours. End of story.

So here I am. I'm tired of it all and I just want civil discussion which this community affords.

Good day everyone!

The funniest thing is Fallout Reddit calling this forum "toxic" and be so oblivious to how much worse they are than us.

Fuck, we have people here that like the Bethesda Fallouts.

Last edited:
Yeah that's reddit for you, a site that is a bunch of dysfunctional spergs fingering each other on how cool they are and how toxic everyone else is. It doesn't take to much brainpower to realize it's just a bunch of losers playing at being narcissists and gathering around whatever will get them noticed.

EDIT: Wow, this really blew up huh. Support me on indiegogo HERE!

EDIT 2: Thank you for the GOLD my man, and... is that a PLATINUM sick, bro!

Yes. Btw new Vegas is the best one you're wrong. Imagine thinking fallout 2 is better than new Vegas wow what a mental midget amirite guys?

Reeeee

I always found Reddit's design to be a mess to read through so I never understood why anyone would want to go to it in the first place. I guess since I started on forums that might've created a bias but whatever. Anyway, the problem with that is things going mainstream and fanboys. When something goes mainstream it means mass appeal and when mass appeal gathers fanboys it REALLY gathers fanboys and it creates this echo chamber culture of dog-piling any opposition. For some it might be that they know something is not right but don't want to admit it to themselves. For others it might be that they've come to know this place as "their place to go to" so they don't want to be alienated by the rest. It means that those who would show "dissent" are in the minority and with how downright vitriolic some fanboys can be (if the moderators allow it) it creates an extremely toxic atmosphere. Honestly, that's something I gotta commend the original Bethesda forum and its moderators for. They didn't allow a bunch of shitflinging. Have proper discussions with one another or GTFO. I got an infraction just for saying "well then you suck" to someone who said the lockpicking minigame was too hard waaaay back.

No idea if this is accurate of reddit for Fallout but if it is and they call us toxic then it doesn't surprise me how ironic it is.

I absolutely agree with everything you said, although I'm not sure if I like New Vegas more or less than the originals.

I just hate when people say NMA is toxic, no one is bashed for having opinions. It's when the redditors come on here to say that Bethesda is underrated and tries to start a debate on it, then when we participate in the debate and most people don't give them reddit gold they act like we're being assholes. There's a lot of "flavoring" in NMA replies so that may be it, but it's not like we're insulting them. If you make a bad post here, people will either ignore it or make a small polite reply telling you it's bad. On Reddit, you get 1000 downvotes at least and everyone forms a circle-jerk with you in the middle.

Even Instagram is nicer than Reddit in the Fallout community, and the biggest Instagram account coined the term "New Vegas fanboy" for people who just don't like the Bethesda Fallouts. He will actively make fun of the idea that people don't like the Bethesda games, but if you voice your disagreement he may politely engage or acknowledge your freedom to opinion.

I've never been on reddit so I don't what the hell they do or what they think.
I just hate when people say NMA is toxic
So many moons ago it would get pretty heated around these parts. It might have even gotten hotter before I joined up but I digress. There was a time when people would join here just state that the Bethesda fallout games were superior because of things like "they are 3D" and "it uses the fps camera so it is like looking with my eyes". it was. . . something. I've always heard the codex was far worse.

Last edited:
The funniest thing is Fallout Reddit calling this forum "toxic" and be so oblvious to how much worse they are than us.

Fuck, we have people here that like the Bethesda Fallouts.
You got that right! You would probably be able to believe the absolute slimy things they say about NMA. If one person disagrees with the circlejerk, they are labeled as a grouchy hateful individual and downvoted to oblivion. Every other post some comment about how bad we are is thrown into the comment section for shameless karma farming! I did not believe the rumors they spread about this community, I came here and saw for myself how it is. You will be happy to know that I have not been disappointed! There are fewer and fewer decent people online these days...

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;"

I wonder how many kiddos today would know the name of the great man who wrote this poem...
Thanks for keeping this wholesome community alive for players like me!

Thanks a bunch for your input!
Yeah that's reddit for you, a site that is a bunch of dysfunctional spergs fingering each other on how cool they are and how toxic everyone else is. It doesn't take to much brainpower to realize it's just a bunch of losers playing at being narcissists and gathering around whatever will get them noticed.

EDIT: Wow, this really blew up huh. Support me on indiegogo HERE!

EDIT 2: Thank you for the GOLD my man, and... is that a PLATINUM sick, bro!
I am really wondering what took me so long to wake up to this fact. In any case, there will be no more of this bullshit for me. Meme culture is revolting. Reddit premium is running out at the end of this week and its not gonna be renewed. Thanks for the welcome!
Reddit is cancer. You are better off here. Welcome Fred!
Thanks! :cool:
Yes. Btw new Vegas is the best one you're wrong. Imagine thinking fallout 2 is better than new Vegas wow what a mental midget amirite guys?

Reeeee
LMAO this actually made me laugh! Jokes aside however this is actually quite accurate to the majority of Reddit comments I see everywhere. Thanks for the welcome!
I always found Reddit's design to be a mess to read through so I never understood why anyone would want to go to it in the first place. I guess since I started on forums that might've created a bias but whatever. Anyway, the problem with that is things going mainstream and fanboys. When something goes mainstream it means mass appeal and when mass appeal gathers fanboys it REALLY gathers fanboys and it creates this echo chamber culture of dog-piling any opposition. For some it might be that they know something is not right but don't want to admit it to themselves. For others it might be that they've come to know this place as "their place to go to" so they don't want to be alienated by the rest. It means that those who would show "dissent" are in the minority and with how downright vitriolic some fanboys can be (if the moderators allow it) it creates an extremely toxic atmosphere. Honestly, that's something I gotta commend the original Bethesda forum and its moderators for. They didn't allow a bunch of shitflinging. Have proper discussions with one another or GTFO. I got an infraction just for saying "well then you suck" to someone who said the lockpicking minigame was too hard waaaay back.

No idea if this is accurate of reddit for Fallout but if it is and they call us toxic then it doesn't surprise me how ironic it is.
Glad for your input! Yeah that sums it all up right there, Reddit is a flawed system that caters to the latest fetish. Also you are quite right about the attitude of Redditors to NMA. Its gotten to the point where they post a little jab about NMA on the comment section for shameless karma farming. Good day now :-)
I absolutely agree with everything you said, although I'm not sure if I like New Vegas more or less than the originals.

I just hate when people say NMA is toxic, no one is bashed for having opinions. It's when the redditors come on here to say that Bethesda is underrated and tries to start a debate on it, then when we participate in the debate and most people don't give them reddit gold they act like we're being assholes. There's a lot of "flavoring" in NMA replies so that may be it, but it's not like we're insulting them. If you make a bad post here, people will either ignore it or make a small polite reply telling you it's bad. On Reddit, you get 1000 downvotes at least and everyone forms a circle-jerk with you in the middle.

Even Instagram is nicer than Reddit in the Fallout community, and the biggest Instagram account coined the term "New Vegas fanboy" for people who just don't like the Bethesda Fallouts. He will actively make fun of the idea that people don't like the Bethesda games, but if you voice your disagreement he may politely engage or acknowledge your freedom to opinion.
Thanks for the crash course of the unspoken community "mindset" (if you will). In my short time of perusing the forums before I made this account I saw these Bethesda gremlin accounts slamming discussions at random intervals. Sad stuff. But I guess you gotta hand it to em, they dont give up! The only part I haven't figured out yet is WHY they think we are a buncha haters. Is it wrong to be disappointed and angry at the subpar efforts of a capable company? I dont know why I tried to be a part of that subreddit, that makes me even more of an idiot than they are I guess.:salute: Hey thanks for the discussion!

You had me until the hatred of memes.

You’re just not looking at the right memes, man

The only part I haven't figured out yet is WHY they think we are a buncha haters. Is it wrong to be disappointed and angry at the subpar efforts of a capable company?
Because i'm willing to bet that a lot of them haven't touched the first two games and miss the whole context as to why a lot of the fans of the older games hate the Bethesda Fallouts. So they perceive it as hating from bunch of grouchy manchilds that hate change.

I'm of a different breed, the one that started with the Bethesda Fallouts, mainly Fallout 3, and hated most of it. I even didn't cared much for New Vegas in my first playthrough, but came around it a couple of years ago when i replayed it.

I will say that Reddit in general is just a cancerous community. Everything from R\ Atheism on down is just... cringe.

You had me until the hatred of memes.

You’re just not looking at the right memes, man
LOL perhaps you are right! I'm not REVOLTED at memes, but I do have a very low tolerance for low-effort #### that is posted daily on reddit. I would ask for an example of a good meme if that is not too much trouble good sir! Thanks for your comment!
Because i'm willing to bet that a lot of them haven't touched the first two games and miss the whole context as to why a lot of the fans of the older games hate the Bethesda Fallouts. So they perceive it as hating from bunch of grouchy manchilds that hate change.

I'm of a different breed, the one that started with the Bethesda Fallouts, mainly Fallout 3, and hated most of it. I even didn't cared much for New Vegas in my first playthrough, but came around it a couple of years ago when i replayed it.
I am ALMOST exactly the same as you surprisingly. I was given a GOG copy of fallout 2 when I started my freshman year of high school, but never really played it as I didn't understand it very much, and therefore did not enjoy it. I then aquired Fallout 3 for PC. I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and wanted more. I popped in 2 and then I was able to play it with some measure of understanding, I liked Fallout 2 more then 3 then solely for the detail and rpg elements.
I then got Fallout: A Post-Nuclear Role Playing Game,
MIND BLOWN!
It was so good!
I then played the series again forwards to see how that felt.
I played Fallout 2 again.
The cycle continues.
Then I got Fallout NV with all the dlcs. I must have played that game completely through every dlc 4 times.

My hypothesis here is that to be able to understand and enjoy OG Fallout you must backtrack through the games in reverse like you and I did. I guess the game being so old has references and culture that didn't exist when I was alive. That is why I couldn't even play the game when I first got it for 5 minutes without getting bored. However, whether you agree with me on this or not. That is what I saw in your generous and timely reply to me anyway...
I will say that Reddit in general is just a cancerous community. Everything from R\ Atheism on down is just... cringe.
yep, agreed

Last edited:
@JustAShcookius depends on what you’re looking for, political or what have you. Here are some I enjoy.
upload_2020-9-4_18-54-3.jpeg

upload_2020-9-4_18-55-12.jpeg

upload_2020-9-4_18-55-40.jpeg

upload_2020-9-4_18-56-24.jpeg

Back