Xbox One vs PS4 What Console Is Better?

Technically the PS4 is better, but I got an Xbox one due to absolutely no one I know getting one. I did want a PS4 for Bloodborne and MLB the Show and the like though.

Because people have gotten in their heads that it is somehow more "convenient".

They are, and easier to deal with for the life of the machine. Every game made for it until the day they stop will work on it, not the case on PC. I have games I can't play on the PC, or need DOSBox, or need massive tweaks to even work (FO3). Not to mention the need for better hardware as time goes by, won't be a problem on console.

Many people with a console have PC as well anyway.

Price is the biggest factor I think, even if they have to bu ya TV you have to admit a PC is always more expensive (altho a good PC can be used for a plethora of other things other than Games)
Aalso people are intimidated by how much technical work it's suppsoedly required to get a good PC.

Nowadays the only reason to own consoles is the exclusive games. So that makes the Xbone the least desirable one as they have started makingtheir exclusives accesible to PC.

For exclusives the best one to own is the Wii, as besides with emulators you're never getting Nintendo games on PC. PS does have some, but Nintendo has the vast majority now.

Nintendo games aren't really that incredible nowadays anyway, and the better ones are on 3DS which is considerably cheaper than a console.

Technically the PS4 is better, but I got an Xbox one due to absolutely no one I know getting one. I did want a PS4 for Bloodborne and MLB the Show and the like though.

They are, and easier to deal with for the life of the machine. Every game made for it until the day they stop will work on it, not the case on PC. I have games I can't play on the PC, or need DOSBox, or need massive tweaks to even work (FO3). Not to mention the need for better hardware as time goes by, won't be a problem on console.

Many people with a console have PC as well anyway.

there is a huge flaw with your logic.

if you "need" dosbox to play that game, by definition it was not made for the "current gen" of computers.

what you are actually doing is complaining "i need a piece of free software to play these Genesis, PS 1, and PS 2 games on my PS 4."

Yeah dude, totally no problem playing older games on consoles, those all come with retrocompatibility. Don't they?

Unless you love MS exclusives and hate the Dual Shock 4 I seriously can't think of a lot of "big" reasons to favour the XB1 over the PS4. This generation the XB and PS don't have a lot of things that make them different, so for the most part it boils down to "which console runs games better".

I heard this many times, but it baffles me a bit, since you can hook up a controller to your pc and if you own a console, you still need a pc for other tasks. Are there any other conveniences which i fail to see?

-Convenience. On PC it can happen that your configuration runs badly or you might waste an hour fiddling with the graphical options to find the best graphical-to-framerate compromise.*
-Exclusives.
-Playing on the couch feels different than playing at a desk.
-Local multiplayer.
-No distractions. Personally when I turn on the PC to play some games I end up always surfing the net before, "wasting" some of my available gaming time, and sometimes I end up not playing at all.

*Of course the downside is that if a game doesn't run particularly well you are stuck with what you are given.

For exclusives the best one to own is the Wii, as besides with emulators you're never getting Nintendo games on PC. PS does have some, but Nintendo has the vast majority now.

Oh, so we are getting Ico, Uncharted and God of War on PC? Sony releases a lot of games too, you know.

Last edited:
Only the 3DS has worhtwile exclusives. The WiiU already blew it beyond belief, pretty much a dead machine.

Have to go with the PS4 for the reasons other people endorsed here. Additionally, it seems like PS4 will have the first native VR experience - which is something I'm really interested in after getting a chance to check out a few visors.

-Convenience. On PC it can happen that your configuration runs badly or you might waste an hour fiddling with the graphical options to find the best graphical-to-framerate compromise.*
-Exclusives.
-Playing on the couch feels different than playing at a desk.
-Local multiplayer.
-No distractions. Personally when I turn on the PC to play some games I end up always surfing the net before, "wasting" some of my available gaming time, and sometimes I end up not playing at all.

I read this, and i thought - how lucky are we in the western world, to look at these things as "inconveniences". But even as far as 1st world problems go, i'm still not convinced.

*If you ran on minimum configuration (like consoles are), you wouldn't need to fiddle :D.
*If there were no consoles, there would be no exclusives, you could play anything you damn want to.
*If you have a controller hooked to a pc, you can sit anywhere you please.
*I give you distractions, but aren't these new consoles also hooked to the internet, with pesky friend messages and whatnot?

As a minimalist, i personally feel, that the market foe consoles is created a bit artificially.

Last edited:
I read this, and i thought - how lucky are we in the western world, to look at these things as "inconveniences". But even as far as 1st world problems go, i'm still not convinced.

*If you ran on minimum configuration (like consoles are), you wouldn't need to fiddle :D.
*If there were no consoles, there would be no exclusives, you could play anything you damn want to.
*If you have a controller hooked to a pc, you can sit anywhere you please.
*I give you distractions, but aren't these new consoles also hooked to the internet, with pesky friend messages and whatnot?

-But then it comes the psychological problem of knowing that if I mess with the options I can get a better visual experience.
-You can make this argument NOW, but consoles didn't pop out of nowhere two years ago and there were good reasons for their birth back then. This is a non-argument because it's incredibly unrealistic to expect an established 30 years old market to disappear. :S I might as well say "well, if there was only a consoles and no PCs you could play anything you damn want to".
-My pc is in my bedroom, I don't have a couch here, my monitor is smaller than my TV. I'll go out on a limb and guess that a lot of people are in my situation.
-There's no keyboard on consoles by default and most people don't have one hooked. It's not like you'll start to chat with friends with the pad.

As a minimalist, i personally feel, that the market foe consoles is created a bit artificially.

You'd have a point if the market had been created 5 years ago.

And I don't understand why some people find the "convenience" argument silly. Maybe for us tech literate but for the average joe? Cheaper initial investement (sp?), no confusion over GPU cards (the naming has become a mess in the last years), smaller form factor that fits more easily, no risk of viruses and the like, no risk of game X not running because your hardware configuration is a rare one that doesn't work properly, no hassle of fiddling with graphical options, no problems with drivers for your gamepad or whatever. Why do you think Valve is making Steam Boxes?

-But then it comes the psychological problem of knowing that if I mess with the options I can get a better visual experience.
-You can make this argument NOW, but consoles didn't pop out of nowhere two years ago and there were good reasons for their birth back then. This is a non-argument because it's incredibly unrealistic to expect an established 30 years old market to disappear. :S I might as well say "well, if there was only a consoles and no PCs you could play anything you damn want to".
-My pc is in my bedroom, I don't have a couch here, my monitor is smaller than my TV. I'll go out on a limb and guess that a lot of people are in my situation.
-There's no keyboard on consoles by default and most people don't have one hooked. It's not like you'll start to chat with friends with the pad.

You'd have a point if the market had been created 5 years ago.

And I don't understand why some people find the "convenience" argument silly. Maybe for us tech literate but for the average joe? Cheaper initial investement (sp?), no confusion over GPU cards (the naming has become a mess in the last years), smaller form factor that fits more easily, no risk of viruses and the like, no risk of game X not running because your hardware configuration is a rare one that doesn't work properly, no hassle of fiddling with graphical options, no problems with drivers for your gamepad or whatever. Why do you think Valve is making Steam Boxes?

I guess you are right. I still see having junk lying around all over the place as being a bigger inconvenience and i can build a decent enough pc for gaming cheaper than it would cost me to buy a console, but i could see, that lying on an expensive leather couch, eating donuts, while playing on an expensive TV set with and expensive surround system might be more convenient and cheap, than to buy a pc that you can do everything in one place, with some minor compatibility issues here and there.

As for valve, i think i read somewhere that Gaben was not very pleased with microsoft's future vision and wanted to port steam to a safer environment than windows - to linux, but the problem here is that no gaming companies wanted to port their games to linux, because it is very un-monolythic, with many distributions all over the place. So making the tools and the place for their games is the only option here. I'm not sure, but i think you can install anything on those steam boxes, because steamos is nothing more than Debian (one of the linux distributions) with a steam skin. Although i do really hope they succeed with the steambox, because then linux will have all the games that windows has (though i still wouldn't use windows in any case).

I guess you are right. I still see having junk lying around all over the place as being a bigger inconvenience and i can build a decent enough pc for gaming cheaper than it would cost me to buy a console, but i could see, that lying on an expensive leather couch, eating donuts, while playing on an expensive TV set with and expensive surround system might be more convenient and cheap, than to buy a pc that you can do everything in one place, with some minor compatibility issues here and there.

People buy couches, TVs and surround systems only to play VGs now? I wonder where my parents and some of my friends are hiding their console, there's no way they have all that stuff if they aren't playing videogames.

As for valve, i think i read somewhere that Gaben was not very pleased with microsoft's future vision and wanted to port steam to a safer environment than windows - to linux, but the problem here is that no gaming companies wanted to port their games to linux, because it is very un-monolythic, with many distributions all over the place. So making the tools and the place for their games is the only option here. I'm not sure, but i think you can install anything on those steam boxes, because steamos is nothing more than Debian (one of the linux distributions) with a steam skin. Although i do really hope they succeed with the steambox, because then linux will have all the games that windows has (though i still wouldn't use windows in any case).

The point is that they woulnd't be making a straightforward plug'n'play machine if there wasn't a market for it. And there's a market for it because there's people out there that want a straightforward plug'n'play machine.

To be fair you do not need technical expertise to build, let alone purchase a pre-built PC. It can take a couple hours of research to find whatever fits your budget and then a few more hours to assemble the parts. Plus the fact that you can download your games for free :look: and combine two pieces of technology into one - I'm sold.

It's a matter of perception, and some people don't want to search either because they can't (because they don't have a PC, duh) or because they think PCs are more complex that they actually are. Don't underestimate how tech illiterate some people are.

Also it doesn't help that a lot of people seems to think that with PCs you are stuck in a perpetual cycle of upgrades, even though a good PC lasts a whole console generation.

People buy couches, TVs and surround systems only to play VGs now? I wonder where my parents and some of my friends are hiding their console, there's no way they have all that stuff if they aren't playing videogames.

I have to admit, i added that in a trollish manner, because i'm a bit of an asshole, but also because i like to make fun of some (not all) folk, who talk about prices of pc's vs consoles as being a tangible difference, all-the-while having these big houses with expensive furniture, video and audio equipment and also a bunch of different consoles.

The point is that they woulnd't be making a straightforward plug'n'play machine if there wasn't a market for it. And there's a market for it because there's people out there that want a straightforward plug'n'play machine.

But it's a pc, it's not really a console, because it has all the capabilities of a pc, and you can even swap the cpu, gpu, ram etc. Matter of the fact, you can make your own steambox, with a dual-boot, or two different drives, one for steamoss, one for your normal operating system.

But it's a pc, it's not really a console, because it has all the capabilities of a pc, and you can even swap the cpu, gpu, ram etc. Matter of the fact, you can make your own steambox, with a dual-boot, or two different drives, one for steamoss, one for your normal operating system.

Oh, come on. Small form factor, OS that consists of Steam in Big Picture Mode, comes with a gamepad? Even if you can do whatever you want with it as with a normal PC on its own the Steam Box is pretty much a digital-only console. Really convenient for the tech illiterate and those that just want a straightforward way to play games, isn't it? :grin:

Oh, come on. Small form factor, OS that consists of Steam in Big Picture Mode, comes with a gamepad? Even if you can do whatever you want with it as with a normal PC on its own the Steam Box is pretty much a digital-only console. Really convenient for the tech illiterate and those that just want a straightforward way to play games, isn't it? :grin:

You speak the truth and I wish to sign up for your monthly newsletter. :grin:

That's what i was saying - there is no need for consoles, when you can have the same thing with a pc.

P.S Today i surfed the net looking for potential gaming laptop, since i gave my pc to my brother (i don't like the clutter of cables and different non-portable parts)... Now i wish there was a console equivalent to laptops; Those fucking prices on gaming laptops are insane!!! Some of them cost 3 times as much as my car (granted it's a 2002 opel astra, but still..).

Back