Fallout Tactics mod Xkcon's ultimate rip off (0.895)

Like I said I like your Mod and it's not a problem for me if I miss something, there is always load the game.
The quest in Quartz is bugged, because if you go straight to kill Ugly like I did the first time and after that you go with those flowers to Ellen... guess what ? :)
Patricia needs to be somewhere with his husband and stays with him until you trigger the flower quest. Other-ways strange thing will happens.
You need to separate the quests, with Patricia and without Patricia. Get it ?! :) Or if you kill Ugly first, after that the flower quest will not happen....
Well those couple enemy raiders can be a little quest get it from the sheriff, or at least a dialog line like ; Be aware there are some "people" which don't like strangers in town....
That will make the player understand the presence of those raiders and he \ she will not search clues for hours...
With boxing I start over another game so I didn't arrived yet to Fortress City...
I am Salvino "made man" is this the problem ?

Edit: Please send me a PM with the clues how I get rid of random encounters...
The editor can't open this bos.cam file and I can't make the changes by myself.

later edit: Waiting 7 seconds is enough to loose my team :) so is not a solutions...

Last edited:
I'm back at work full time again, so I haven't much time for Modding.

However I took a deep look at the Quartz map, and it was just like you said , there is no supporting speech text for a few possible scenario outcomes depending on the order the player plays out the map. The actual mechanics works, but no supporting speech, So I went ahead and re-wrote the triggers/speech to cover any and all possible outcomes. I have (Quartz) working fine now. I will release the new and improved Quartz map along with a reworked campaign with less random encounters in a new version of my mod (version 0.892).

I hope to release the new version within the next two weeks or so. (Like I said earlier, It will be slow going as I am working full time again.)

"Edit: Please send me a PM with the clues how I get rid of random encounters...
The editor can't open this bos.cam file and I can't make the changes by myself.

later edit: Waiting 7 seconds is enough to loose my team :) so is not a solutions...
"

Just have one of your squad enter Ugly's chamber and then leave the room quickly, wait for 7 seconds then re-enter the chamber will all your squad...

I'm going to hold off on giving out the secret, any thorough player could probably find it before he even heads off to the 2nd brotherhood mission...

I have a problem with the undead traps. Is there a way to disable them? to miss them I'm playing in sneak mode. I play on a old widows 7 computer. using turn based individual mode. found some problems in my game play. --- village - infected attack the undead traps. --- bases --- crates in 1st base - can't reach -- switch in 2nd base is on other side of wall -- quartz - had to steal key form cop for cell after paying bond.

Unfortunately the undead traps bug is an aspect of turn based mode, if you play in CTB you shouldn't experience it. I'm sorry but there seems to be no way to disable it. The mod is meant to be played in CTB mode. A good idea that 'Sniperpotato' mentioned was to play in CTB and alternate to TB when things get really tough.

All these things that you mention, the crates, the undead 'traps' as you call them. it is all related, the crates that you can't reach are meant to be accessed after you complete a certain quest, then they will be moved to where you can get the loot, but first you have to solve the quest.

I have fixed all the bugs in Quartz and plan to release my new version 0.892 (with less Random encounters) within the next two weeks. I Promise that it will be a much better version of Quartz with better gameplay. I should've done a more thorough job of play-testing Quartz before I released, but after a decade I just wanted to get something into the gamers hands.

At any rate the new version will be much better with less Random Encounters and I've even found and fixed a few new bugs that somehow got by me.

I just want to say that if you are noticing hidden 'loot crates' and hidden 'switches' then you seem like you might be able to find the Random encounter cheat and the survival mode/doom switch.

Good gaming

gargantva's lair does not work in TB mode. seems to hang up when the computer moves after an NPC has died. started over, like the changing starting people. tried CTB mode. really don't like it. what inventory does the invfixer fix? it justs disappears when picked up. didn't notice any changes. thankyou. enjoying your mod.

I've never really tested Gargantua's lair in TB. The Mod was completely developed for CTB mode. Any bugs related to TB is out of my hands, there really should be no reason why it crashes. It could be just a 'one off' or a corrupt save.

You should be able to just 'run and gun' in CTB on gargantua's lair (Assuming you're armed with more than just a hunting rifle). You might just have to get used to the real time chaos in CTB and embrace it when your squaddies die. There is no deeper sense of loss than when you lose your high level characters -- most people will almost always reload.

I only ever use TB at one or two specific battles that are very difficult.

Not exactly sure what you mean 'invfixer', but if you're talking about equipment master in the squad select mission, the whole point is that he just gives you the loot in the footlocker, and allows you to sell off anything you don't think you will need.

Glad you are enjoying it.:D I'm going to release a better version here coming up in the next week(s)?.

Fixed a few bugs and cleaned up some entities and fixed another sprite -- and of course there will be less REs.

But to be honest, I'm not sure it will ever be the perfect amount of REs no matter how much I lower the percentages.

Just remember to get all you squaddies a minimum outdoorsman skill of approx 55% and have a dedicated scout ranger with outdoorsman skill 90% or better. Remember you are only as good as your weakest squaddie - meaning: don't take some level 2 noob with skill 25% on a quest westward of Jackson City. The area west of Jackson City is plagued with scores of infected, only a serious experienced squaddie should be venturing there (or anywhere else for that matter!).

Good luck.

invfixer found on floor in bunker alhpa. vehicle depot - nw corner - front of boxes by last parking spot. infected are easy in TB mode. stay in vehicle - move a little to group them together - then blow they away with shotguns when in range. what's with this 55% outdoorsman skill level? I have 5 guys with less than that.(starting level ) one guy at about 110%. having no problems exploring and avoiding encounters I don't want. whats wrong with noobs? isn't that what the mags are for, to improve their skill level. I buy every and steal every magazine I can find. when I fight in this game, I spit guys into two teams. attack form 2 sides/areas at once. I'm basicly a sneak sniper type player. rarely use hand to hand. I see you didn't change the payout on underground turrets. I get 2 to 3,000 cells out of there. there is also away to get 100+ boombugs from there too, if you want them. it dosen't work every time. have fun, I am.

Ohhh... The Invfixers, I forgot about those... I was supposed to delete them.. But somehow I forgot... It's best to just ignore them if you see one on a map. It was originally meant to fix a bug that I found years earlier. I use entities like that to adjust ingame stats that were corrupted by another bug. It shouldn't be a big problem if you've already taken it. But it's best to leave them alone, or give them to a squaddie that is going to die. I'll make sure to delete them for the next update. I would've responded sooner but I was sick with the flu for days. Feeling a bit better today and will start working on it again.

Thanks for playing and keep playing to find more bugs. There's bound to be a few more than I missed.

Glad to hear you're having fun :dance:

Make sure to play out the HEAT storyline, starting at the Roadhouse/South lake City and ultimately working up to the Fortress City Bank Job.

Join Niel's crew and take down a lot of scores, and you'll even get some awesome new recruits. Picture the way the big bank job went in the movie Heat, then picture that on the streets of Fortress City.

One thing to add, If any of you experience any problems with Niel's crew following thier waypoints in South lake City(SLC). Just simply wait for them to move. Sometimes the NPC computer AI has difficulty navigating and will pause for a long time while he figures out where to go. Eventually they will find thier way and then you can proceed. It might occur when you and Niel and Waingro, burglarize the Crawford General Store (in SLC).

Alright, Version 0.892 is out. Now with less Random Encounters.

Get it here:
http://www.xkcon.net/

Remember, If you already have an older version of the MOD, then you only need to download the 'Files v0.892' zip. It is much smaller than the Full version.

Of course a complete version is always available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking the link, and there is no donwload sprites option, i guess those should be download with the full mod, any other mods compatibility like Redux?

hi. found some stuff you might want to fix. restarted game with your fix. all in fortress city. hospital - top floor - red light area - first steal door - game crashes when opening door. first wooden door - blocked by shelfs ? if you kill the guard, no weapon. green dots on minimap but no one there. cathouse - top floor - by three lockers (by locked door). Nilf's safe house - backyard - nw corner. - colored door goes through roof by south wall of city when on the roof. - talked to jeff(?), he was good for a laugh. - you got me on the red door! - still exploring city. I like the new equipment and changes to the guns. brotherhood was a pleasant surprise. thank you, having fun.

Salvadorc17, yes download the full Version for sprites and tiles, the [files v0.892] button is just the quick update (without sprites & tiles).

oldguy, ok I checked the first steal door and it does crash so it must be a corrupt entity, however when I blasted the door open with an explosive it worked fine. Try using some dynamite on it and see if it works for for you. I will fix the entity for a new version release coming in march.

-fixed the shelf blocking the door, don't worry, there was nothing in the room or shelf that you missed out.

-if you kill the guard you aren't mean't to get his gun. It's a guass rifle and I don't wan't the player to get such a powerful weapon to early in the game, It's kinda ruins the balance.

-Green dot on mini map, but no person there? that is just on of my invisible voice entites, that I use for various text/speech on the storylines, forget about it, it is a non issue.

-Niel's safehouse door, I'm still looking into this one. not quite sure exactly what it is.

-Red Door is part of a bigger storyline, that can be played the 'good' or 'bad' way(s). It is part of the '8mm' plotline, that I ripped off from the nicholas cage movie '8mm'. you'll have to find your own way in. (good or bad)

-a lot of the guns were rebalanced, you will find many of the guns much more useful.

-Yes the Brotherhood establishes a outpost in Fortress City(FC) after you deliver the 'Treaty Document'. The troops and recruit master arrive on your next visit to FC. So if you want them quickly then just deliver the treaty doc to the register and then exit the town and re-enter and the Brother hood will be there.

-Glad you are having fun. :dance:Thanks for playing and for feed back ,please report anymore things you think may be a bug or whatever.

I am already working on a newer Version to be released in early march, so any bugs you can find and report will be fixed for the new version. I am also working on a new map to go into the campaign, but I don't think it will make it into the march release, maybe soon after though...

:salute:

Ok guys, don't know if you seen it over at DAC, but if you missed it. Here are
some tips for gameplay and the secret to the Random encounter cheat and the 'Doom switch'

Check these screenshots at my website:
http://www.xkcon.net/screenshots10.html

In the first photo (in the squad choice/pre-mission), you'll see a switch behind this door. Unlock the door and pull the switch. Then go to Ridgeway and you will be able to buy/steal a magic backpack that will give you unlimited carry weight.

In the pre-mission target practice, if you can hit all three targets fast enough, you will be awarded a Humvee, a huge blessing for a startgame.

For those that want to turn off Random Encounters , or to experience a different game altogether. here is the answer.

The next screenshot , shows a door in Brahmin wood. If you explore beyond this door you will find an object (you'll know when you find it!).

In the next image we see the squad take the object to the Alpha bunker and find the hidden ladder in this small chamber.
Climb down and give the Elder the object and he will open the way for you. Your Destiny awaits.

Make sure to make a save before experimenting with Fate

Last edited by a moderator:
He he he :)

capture_001_26022017_140025.png

Edit: There is a item "Idol" which don't have image when you pick it up in your inventory

Well, well... nice job. I see that you violated my mummified corpse too, you bastard! ha ha.

However, I can see that there was some amount of cheating/hacking involved.

But I will still award you the prize, if you can prove that you entered without hacking.

Make sure to find the Sacrifical chamber and unlock it's secrets. You will need the three Occult objects to perform the ritual.

I didn't cheat.
The only thing I always do with the maps is to let me enter with cars. Other than this will ruin the game-play.
Of course , I put also in game a sniper rifle which use .50 cal DLU ammo, but is useless against your mummy :)
I unlocked all the tombs in that map, plus Sacrificial chamber. I didn't find yet how to use the "Orb.." though. But I still search for clues.
I also know were to use that item, I need only to find somehow the "sequences..".
Anyway the tomb map is amazing. I think is the more complex map I ever, ever find in a mod. You put a tremendous work on this. Good work !!!
I know what you say, about the first person which find "your tomb", but I don't need anything. There are nice recruits in this mod anyway, so no thank you.:)

All together the mod is amazing, the fact you succeed to implemented your game story alongside whit the original campaign is a very, very nice job. Recommended A++++

Regards.

PS: Of course you can put this as starting characters :)
Lucy.png
CORE_prefab5.png

CORE_prefab5small.png

Alright, I will add your prefab 'Lucy' to a future release. I am going to release a new version within the next week with a few more bug fixes. Lucy won't make it into Version 0.893 but I will make sure she goes into the mod after that.

I am happy that you really played the map 'Temple of Agarapichu' -- It means a lot to me to have someone really play the map. I hoped you liked the musics too...

If you can't figure the secret of the sacrificial chamber, you can always give Boris (in Jackson city) the three occult objects he seeks, He has much knowledge of the Arcane arts and will surely know what to do...

Also, I hope you can figure out how to 'resurrect' my concubines ...

Thanks for comments and feedback . Report any other bugs or whatever. Thanks for playing!

"Also, I hope you can figure out how to 'resurrect' my concubines ..."
Did that too :)
Yes music is amazing too. Like I said Tomb Map is fantastic, in all aspects !!! I don't think another map or even game put me on such much "stress" like this map. I don't have any idea how the H**l you succeed to make it !
Thanx for the clues with "Boris" :)
Respect !

capture_001_05032017_113457.png

Later Edit: I returned in Quartz to do the quests over there and I encounter again some strange things.
First the explosive charge will detonate 3 or 4 seconds after dialog with Ugly :(( Try multiple times, in no vain... I also try another approach, very hard to do. I trow some grenades around Patricia until I succeed making her to run away from that explosive charge and after that I entered in the room were Ugly is. Right after dialog with Ugly finish, the charge detonate but didn't killed Patricia because was away from blast zone. I killed Ugly and his companions, but... Patricia don't recognize is free. Keep saying "Help, they will blow me up... " So I can't finish the quest :((

Also one raider from the BR-Ocupation force is blocked outside map,in the back of the Bar were Ellen is.

Last edited:
I just did a couple of tests in Quartz, and it all seemed to work fine. What Version are you playing ?

In the first test, Ugly's team killed me after 90sec on the timer, Felicia survived and bomb didn't detonate.

Second test Geoffrey accidentally hit the remote trap and blast kills felicia.

Third test My team kills ugly and successfully rescues Felicia

Consider what weapons your team is using, If you fire a burst weapon, you will almost certainly hit the bomb and accidentally detonate it.

Regarding the BR-Ocupation, does it happen repeatedly ? or is it a onetime thing? Not sure why it is happening, sometimes the FOT engine behaves strangely.

I use the last version of the mod.
The charge will detonate right after I finish talking with Ugly regardless if I shoot or not. I don't have enough time to run from the door to the charge to be disarmed. I don't see the timer. Sometime the timer did appear but only if the Patricia live. And only for few seconds, then disappear But is useless because there is no charge to be disarmed....
Maybe this is happening because I kill everyone in the back room with grenades, and after that I unlock the door and enter in the room where Ugly is...
The raider from BR-Ocupation, appear after the battle in the office building is over and stays there. I stumble upon him by mistake. I saw those 2 guys Roberto or whatever which is helping me run in that direction and I follow them and saw the raider. I tryed at least 3 times and the same happens always
Of course, it is possible to be a problem with my game. I know you did repair Quartz in this version of the Mod which I use.
When you'll finish the next version I will reinstall the game and try again. .) Or maybe sooner if I find a save game before I enter Quartz.
Regards.

Oki I reloaded a save and tried again Quartz quest. No dice, the charge will detonate few sec after the dialog with Ugly.
This time I let everyone live in those 2 rooms were Patricia is.
In my opinion this Quest is to complicated and the game sometimes behave strange. Maybe for you or other player will work, but not for everyone. I tried a multitude of approach with the same results for me. No matter I do, the charge will detonate, sometime even with the timer active, which is not normal. It's confusing...

@TorontRayne. The Mod is amazing and apart for some glitches, which are not so important deserve playing. Which game or MOD is BUG free :)

Regards.

Back