Your Dream Video Game

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Atomic Postman, Jun 26, 2020.

1. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    I get in general what you mean Toront. I don't know how I would classify it but I see how it differs from AD&D magic.

I sadly still do not have a clear vision for a game I would really like to make but when it comes to gameplay, regardless if it is a non statistics using action-adventure or a more traditional Western RPG I would like to take inspiration from games such as Deus Ex and Fallout regarding optional ways on how to play the game and how to solve questions/missions/puzzles, Especially if it is meant for the PC.
    You just can not avoid a degree of streamlining in games meant for the consoles and I do feel that this streamlining has been to the detriment of certain genres.
    I have no problem with consoles but I think the problem started when they became PC-lite's.

As for that space trader/mercenary/smuggler idea, the main competition I would see for it is Elite Dangerous as it already does a lot of the parts which I talked about and soon will also have an on-foot gameplay part in which the player can roam around planets (and perhaps spaceships and space station) in a sort of FPS like mode.
    So it should perhaps be scaled down (as like with Star Smuggler) to be a game that people can play and finish in an hour, something that could almost pass of as a browser or mobile game though I am not really interested in that, or it should perhaps be a bit more RPG-ish which would make it a lot more like the Precursors (old Russian developed game) with maybe a linear main campaign in it.
    Actually makes me wonder what we should expect from Starfield though I suspect that even if the idea or concept sounds good that the execution would be lacking.

2. SquidVan

SquidVan Literal Vampire Potbelly Goblin

Jun 1, 2018
    Okay this is batshit insane but I still want to see this become a thing and not with shitty artstyle or limited graphical presentation either. (More like, I'd rather it look like Fallout than it look like Wasteland. I like Wasteland but there's a certain amount of presentation that's enough for games, having animations and people wearing clothes that aren't bright green shirts and bright pink pants is nice.)

3. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
  4. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Augmented Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    The best part is you get to play as Toront. I would probably give him a different name.

5. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    One silly idea I had thought I would not call it my "dream game" was this game that visually seemed to resemble a side scrolling shooter but was in reality a strategy game that would be sort of a "reverse" or deconstruction of the shmup genre (think it is called that).

The background plot is that the future human civilization has run into some oppressive expansionist empire that is busy colonizing the galaxy and conquering and enslaving or exterminating (or experimenting) other intelligent species and civilization.
    With most of the human's space fleet wiped out the desperate human space command launches an experimental superfighter piloted that can upgraded with new weaponry and tech, some of it taken from the alien empire, and it is piloted by the best pilot in the human fighter corps.

Now the twist is that the player actually runs the alien empire and its fleets and various weapons, and as this human superfighter is slaughtering its way through your forces you have to have your factories turn out new war material such as fighters, mechs, tanks, and so on to send against the fighter (hopefully slowing it down or perhaps even damaging it) while your engineers, technicians, and scientists are working on all kinds of super weapons such those mid level and end of the level type bosses such as superships, fortresses, giant mutants, weird anomalies, as well as cook up all kinds of hazards to put in the fighter's path.

Selecting which environment you use as bases (for the sake of easy description I am also going to include your own super ships/space stations the human fighter can enter), you get access to unique conventional forces and boss type units.
    You have your standard urban/factory world (with perhaps some forests, mountains, and seas) which feature more regular fighters, mech, tanks, AA turrets.
    An Egyptian themed world in which the units and buildings also have a more Egyptian theme (mummies, faraos, beetles, Egyptian god statues)
    This biological laboratory type world in which the units and structures are all kinds of horrible mutations.
    A Giger-esque world in which everything looks like it came from one of Giger's art books.
    A graveyard world full with skeleton and supernatural type units.
    A crystal world and all that comes with it.
    An asteroid belt and so on.
    Hopefully you get what I mean.

The controls would be a mix of direct and indirect. The player can for example directly control boss type enemies and structures but the player can only place the stationary units or send mobile units such as the fighters and watch if these have any effect on the human fighter.

I guess it would be a sort of Tower Defense game but with one main enemy instead of a whole squad, platoon, or horde.
    Trick would be how well the human fighter can be programmed because the idea would be that it would be controlled by an AI who is as good as the best real life shmup player.

I think it could make an interesting two player or three player game. (one or two players flying the human fighters and the third player being the alien commander)

6. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    My dream games:

• A proper super hero cRPG.
    • Isometric, turn based combat.
    • Tons of powers and abilities to choose from, so many choices that we could "make" or simulate any known super hero in this game if we wanted to.
    • Original Universe. No DC, Marvel, etc.
    • Ability to join and create a super team.
    • Ability to play as a hero or a villain.
    • Ability to create a base.
    • Ability to choose character backgrounds, powers origin (alien interference, radioactive animal bite, alien origin, mutant, governmental experiment, etc).
    • Ability to play as a character with a secret or public identity.
    • Ability to have and develop archenemy relationships.
    • Proper character stats, skills, abilities, etc that influence how to deal with any situation.
    • A living world that doesn't wait for the player. Things happen even if the player doesn't do anything about it, like hostages being killed by the villains or rescued by law enforcement or other heroes for example.
    • Ability to play as a small time, local neighborhood hero/villain all the way to major galactic issues super hero/villain. But with the option to stay in any tier the player wants to. If the player wants to always stay a small time hero/villain, it can.
    • Good modding support and tools.

A cRPG that happens in an alternate retro-futuristic Earth.
    But not like Fallout, it wouldn't be a post apocalyptic world and it wouldn't be based on what people of the 50's thought the future would be. It would instead be like people in the 1800's though it would be. Where gadgets have tons of levers and knobs.
    Something like this:
    https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/a-19th-century-vision-of-the-year-2000/
    I have no idea what the plot would be, I just want a nice cRPG in a world like that.

A cRPG that is more of a cRPG system, that allows people to build their own "Modules" and "Adventures", items, maps,characters, etc. for it. And be able to play them all with the same characters or with new ones. This would be like a typical P&P RPG system. There would be official adventures too, but players could make their own easily.

7. CT Phipps

CT Phipps Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Sep 17, 2016
    A Witcher 3-sized gangster game where you have hundreds of side-quests related to heists, gangster activity, and buying housing as well as cars but set in the 1930s or 1940s.

Saints Row 2 combined with the Godfather except much much bigger.

8. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    Less a dream game and more a randomr idea rattling around in my head:

A soft-reboot/remake of the MSX Metal Gear games done in the Episodic style of the recent Hitman games. In effect it'd be taking the TV like elements of MGSV and bringing them to full fruition.

Each "episode" would be a Ground Series/Tanker level style that's not very broad, but depthful/layered in scope and approach.

Gameplay wise it'd probably play like a harsher version of MGSV (wider lines of sight, no reflex mode) with a more intricate CQC system ala Snake Eater and a focus on OSP operations.

Presentation would be imitating a prestige TV show of the modern era.

"Season 1" would follow Solid Snake working for Foxhound under the command of Big Boss. The episodes would be largely an anthology of Mission Impossible style operations across the globe with Big Boss, Campbell, Grey Fox and Holly as supporting cast. Stopping a dirty bomb going off in France, shutting down a biological weapons trade in Bolivia et cetera. Many of these missions would probably be more "spy-thriller" rather than purely millitary as in the vein of Mission Impossible.

There'd be an overarching story, an international conspiracy involving the "rogue nation" of Outer Heaven and it's mercenaries that seem to be one step ahead of Foxhound and clearly seen to be eliminating competitors and rounding up resources.

This plot would thread throughout the episodes, eventually reaching crescendo in the Season 1 two part finale that depicts the infiltration of Outer Heaven.

"Season 2" would be set 6 years later and entirely within the borders of the wartorn Zanzibarland. Snake and Campbell's Foxhound as well as Holly having recently joined the CIA are working to destabilise and topple the millitary regime of Big Boss and so each "Episode" would be part of this larger campaign and much more millitary. Bringing down mountain forts, supplying weapons to rebels, sabotaging supply lines et cetera.

Snake would have the overarching goal of assassinating Big Boss himself, giving the season a very Apocalypse Now vibe with Snake wandering through the horrors of war in this jungle with a single man on his mind, making him look inward to himself and his similarities as well as facing his former comrade, Grey Fox, as a rival on the battlefield.

This would pretty hard retcon the original MSX games but the intention would be that it could still fit within the rest of the series and new players introduced to Metal Gear through this starting point would be able to go from the Season 2 finale to MGS1 and not feel confused.

9. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
    Johnny Dangerously : the game