Your GOTY 2011 (poll added)

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Serge 13, Nov 17, 2011.

My game of the year 2011 is...

1. TES V: Skyrim

100.0%
  2. Portal 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Batman: Arkham City

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Dark Souls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Saints Row 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Witcher 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Catherine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Serious Sam 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Frozen Synapse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eom

eom Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Feb 16, 2004

seeing as how you're a gamebanshee pro, do you have an noteworthy crpg's from the last few years?
    basically, I've hardly played anything --- maybe a couple games/year, and I just started checking out these steam sale games thinking I might try some older ones for 10 bucks, or whatever.

something like a more recent fallout, stalker, witcher, oblivion, bioshock, etc.
    got any thumbnail reviews?

I played a ton of morrowind, although never finishing it, so I was on the fence about oblivion --- digging up the old threads about it here didn't sell me on it much, but there were some funny ai vids.
    I'm looking for an exploratory crpg type game, while using the 'crpg' definition very loosely, of course.

2. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    Hmmm, for me GOTY this year goes to Witcher 2, only game I would give 10 this year.

Second I guess Skyrim, which is a fantastic game while being pretty bad RPG, and third to Deus Ex.

Honorable mention goes to Dead Island, which very pleasantly surprised me.

3. Wastewander

Wastewander It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 6, 2011
    I'll have to go with Dark Souls for me. It's probably the only game I've put over 80 hours in this year and didn't feel like killing myself (because the enemies usually do that :p). Just about everything about it was a great experience, albeit I do hate getting invaded to the point where I got so annoyed at the frequency that I started playing offline. Yeah, that might've been a bit weak, but at that point I just wanted to finish the game. Plus its really troublesome to be invaded all the time when I'm farming for items.

While I really liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution a lot, overall I enjoyed Dark Souls better.

4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Now that the year is over, I added a poll.

My vote goes to Batman: Arkham City. Did what Asylum did, but better. Excellent atmosphere, flying through the world is cool, the villains are awesome, the story is amazing, combat is fun if repetitive.

The River of Time and The Witcher 2 are runner-ups.

5. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Hey why is Catherine not there? fine.... My vote is for Arkham City

6. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I just took over most of the list from the GotY blog and some suggestions from here. I can still add. Catherine added.

7. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Can I "Unvote"? I already voted, dumb me.

8. Sabirah

Sabirah Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 10, 2011
    Deus Ex because you didn't list angry birds :P

9. White Knight

White Knight Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 28, 2010
    Dark Souls would be my Game of the Year? The fact is its so challenging makes it so much more rewarding when I kill a boss. I only noticed it at the last minute when voting and so voted for Arkham City. Both are great games, but I feel Dark Souls deserves it more.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    My vote goes to DXHR, which IMO is just narrowly better than TW2.

I also think Serious Sam 3 deserves to be on the list as the most entertaining shooter in years.

11. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Witcher 2, although Portal 2('s coop) tempted me.

12. Xellos

Xellos Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Feb 10, 2006
    Same as Ausdoerrt, DX just slightly before Witcher 2

13. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pyramids, babe! Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    I voted for Deus Ex: HR but trust me when I say that my heart is with 'No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise'. It's just that it's an upgraded version of a 2008 release and it wouldn't make any kind of sense to vote for it. But yeah, I had the most fun with it this year.

Also, anxiously awaiting the release of 'Lollipop Chainsaw'. I love you Suda 51. <3

14. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    I am surprised at the DX3 love here..it is a great game (hell it is in my top3 after all) but was too compromised compared to DX1 for me to give it GOTY.

I flat-out hated some elements of it, like having to eat snickers to recharge batteries, the awesome timestop button cutscenes, lack of melee weapons etc..

15. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    ^ Meh, this came up earlier, a game doesn't need to be perfect to be considered best among those available. Sure, DXHR had problems, but we're comparing it to the games released this year, not DX1. (And frankly, it improved heaps on DX1 as well even if it dropped the ball on some minor issues.)

16. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    You mean like in The Witcher 2, your GOTY?

Seconded. It's a pretty damn significant release for a lot of us.

17. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Carbon Dated and Proud
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Not a single vote for TES V: Skyrim so far...by the way I haven't played any of those games in the list. :cry:

18. Ausdoerrt

Oct 28, 2008
    Yeah, if I had had more time with it, I would've held my vote for Serious Sam. But, I'm and RPG gamer before an FPS gamer, and I've had a good 60 hours with DX vs maybe 10 with SS... Though if there were separate categories, SS definitely deserves the "best shooter" title. For the few years since the release of Unreal 3. Best treat for anyone who grew up in the 90s.

I'm not surprised. Are you surprised? :lol:

19. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    Those finishers when adrenaline is full is one very minor flaw I would say TW2 has, if that is what you mean.

Witcher 2 has plenty of "standard" cutscenes and cinematic stuff, but I like that a lot, since it is coupled with fantastic presentation and writing.

Also, I am glad gamebanshee agrees with me (mostly, I guess). I like that site a lot.

20. Token-not-found

Token-not-found It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2011
    No one for Skyrim?