Zippy's Thread

zippy1 said:
But FO:BOS would have been a failure no matter the platform.

Because it was called "Fallout", and that pissed off fans mostly because Interplay spent money on This (and FO:Tactics) rather than working on Fallout 3.

FO:BoS wasn't the only console game from Interplay back then. They also started publishing some other games like BG:Dark Allience I/II.

Although one could argue that it wouldn't have been made at all if they hadn't decided to go console, so fair point to me

FO:BoS was made to go for consoles, but the game wasn't the only/major reason for Interplay's failure. As I said before, it was a combination of many things.

zippy1 said:
Ok, ready for it?

Obsidian will make a new Fallout and most of the reception at NMA will be negative, blaming Bethesda for imposing all kinds of limitations on them and forcing them to use things like VATS - almost against their will, or by threatening to pull the license or whatever you guys dream up - that in reality are now key parts of the Fallout franchise.

Obsidian will understand what made Fallout 3 a great game and will add their own touch, work the engine the best they can (which is to say: well, but not masterfully), tweak a few RPG settings and try to make a better story and build on Fallout 3.

It will sell in the millions, and you guys will still be here, scratching your heads at 1) how Bethesda could rape Obsidian of everything that you find sacred and holy about game design, 2) how so many millions of idiots and stupid people could find joy in the game, 3) how the corrupt press - nearly every single one of them - was bought out or pressured by Bethesda into giving what you find a clearly mediocre game (remember, Bethesda's fault, not Obsidians, for following the FO3 formula) a high score.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world moves on.

Oh man, you've got me exited already.... Discussing (or rather waging wars on the official forums) about how mini nuclear bombs with such a small scale yield are impossible, how the combat sucks, how the music is nothing compared to the original Fallout soundtrack, how the setting defiles the canon, while the victims of marketing propaganda and consolization desperatly attempt to justify every decision made by the developer. Then again, this is obisdian we are talking about, so there, probably, won't be as many delusional gamers browsing the forums, a shame really... :|

What do they mean "has to change"? Didn't almost every gaming journalist (they're all experts, no doubt) cream over how awesome FO3 is? Didn't they say it has no flaws? I mean, look at them rewards and 10/10s!
WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THAT?
Unless...
Unless it didn't really deserve it. Ooooh, a conspiracy!

zippy1 said:
Name another community with a set of opinions and viewpoints even remotely close to the ones on NMA.

Hey, at least you guys are unique!

Did it occur to you that you should read the post you're quoting before making an ass out of yourself by showing you just don't get what's being communicated to you? (the alleged groupthink that characterizes NMA, in this case.)

Once in a while a "voice of reason" drops by that just doesn't take it to its head that it's not the best idea to go someplace and mock everybody there without a clue on what is going on. Just you go on like this, and I might cone to the conclusion that if you've come here with an emblazoned pre-notion about the views of every single NMAer, you might just leave now with the very same mindset and there will be no loss in it for anyone.

But hey, I'm the stubborn ol' hater. Although I am only mad at people who think that debate is the same as holier-than-thou derision.

zippyone.jpg

Now hand me my credit card, I'm off to Amazon to buy some more games that OTHER PEOPLE liked.

Brother None said:
so expect me to split all your debates and make a mega-zippy thread in the Fallout 3 forum for you to enjoy.

oh, hey...hehe. nice to see we're on the same page. i have no problem with the old vs new redux debate, but man...you're like bugs on a windshield, zippers.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world moves on.

So you consider yourself as a part of "the rest of the world" (aka "Majority"), that will move on, and people who don't belong to "the rest of the world" (aka "Minority") will move backwards or stay on the same place being "society's rejects"?

Interesting...

zippy1 said:
FeelTheRads said:
Wait... remind me.. who were the hiveminds again? NMA and RPGCodex, right?

Yeah, I thought so.
I've no idea what you're getting at, but I suspect you're attributing some old and useless argument to me as if I made it, which I didn't.

No, apparently now only NMA is a hivemind, devoid of individual thought and forsaken in the dark depths of teh intardnet.

I'll add "bulshitting" to Zippy One's record.

Alright!

Looking at the amount of posts here, I feel validated in my move to split and move all the zippy debate here. There's nothing wrong with debating Fallout 3 and whathaveyou, despite the fact that we've all done it a thousand times and zippy's not bringing in anything new, but the news forum is the news forum, meant for on-topic debate and not random off-topic nonsense.

Debate Fallout 3, how well it did or did not do, whether NMA is clinically insane or not, here. Stick to on-topic debates on the news forum.

zippy1 said:
Crni Vuk said:
Someone tried to collect all of them like "official" NPD numbers or something (hope thats the right spelling) explaining that Fallout 3 sold rather poor for some AAA game. It was interesting. But hardly could anyone say if it is accurate or not.
I find it highly amusing that NMA still has people continuing to try and spread this "Fallout 3 is a commercial failure" drivel even now.
I did not said it was a comercial failure. I just repeated what I "heard" which means it can be wrong, right or nothing. And at the moment the only thing one can say is that only Bethesda knows how well their game has sold. If we are talking about accurate numbers that is.

But one with some knowledge can if he feels that way try to "guess" how many copies sold. What kind of knowledge you are using for the estimation is a whole different story. Sale numbers most of the time only count siold copies, not downloded games like from Steam. And I would not be surprised if quite a lot bought it there.

By the way, for the love of god, pleas stop to double post, it is realy distracting at some point. Either use one single post to address all the quotes or just use the edit button next time. Other people can do it as well.

I don't think anyone here said it was a commercial failure, because obviously that isn't true, but a failure as a Fallout game, absolutely.

Please learn how to use the edit button, all your doing is pissing people off.

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
I don't think anyone here said it was a commercial failure, because obviously that isn't true, but a failure as a Fallout game, absolutely.

Please learn how to use the edit button, all your doing is pissing people off.
Well it all depends on what numbers you use. If you add up the NPD numbers provided and make educated guesses (ideally a high, low) on those that aren't while Fallout 3 is in the top whatever, you'll come up with a number less than the 4.7million shipped. I don't remember exactly what the number is but when you multiply it by two in order to estimate the total world wide sales, I believe that it ends up as less than 4 million, though it's been awhile since I bothered to do this. No one is saying that 4 million is bad sales but you don't want to have a significant portion of your inventory not sell as that is money out of your pocket.

That said, the sales data out there is really too full of holes to make overly useful extrapolations about worldwide sales.

Not everyone here is a hive mind, many people here actually started with and enjoy Fallout 3. A few started with FO3 and went backwards and decided the old ones were better, and some started with fo1/2 and when fo3 came out actually believed it was good.

What is good and what is bad is a relative term like beauty. I personally am one of the ones who grew up along side video games and have a healthy taste for nostalgia, however I'm not completely against FO3. The game does not deserve as much praise as its getting, however it is far from a terrible game. The world is huge and can be fun to explore, the graphics (other than animations) are very good, especially the overall landscape. With some mods the combat can actually be challenging and interesting enough to warrant some enjoyment.

What it fails at though is character interaction, story telling, and generally what makes a game a good RPG.

People have different opinions zippy, and NMA is no different. My personal favorite game type is FPS, and then RPG, Then action/platformer. However there is no proof that a well made turn based cRPG wouldn't do well in todays society.

actualy I think that with modern graphic a tourn based game, if RPG or something similar could do pretty well today. For 2 reasons. First the market as whole has become pretty "generic" to say it that way, and when you have such a situation, a difference from time to time can make a good profit and the other reason is the size of the gaming market which has grown compared to the situation 10 or 15 years ago a lot. It is huge compared to that time.

So you have now much more ways for advertisement, marketing and how to reach people a much biger target audience in general which is pretty saturated in what the market has to offer. Such situations are screaming for "changes" and "experiments". It works in the car industry. It works in the music and movie industry. Sometimes "niche" titles as how they call it make here more money then some of the best done, but generic block buster movie.

There are countless examples starting from Star Wars, to Allien(s) or other movies that stand up from the "known" standarts and changed (in their time) whole genres. It is not a joke when people say there have been only sci fi monsters from rubber and people in costumes before, and then there has been Giggers "Alien".

The only reason why I think its such a ... stalemate in the gaming buisness, is cause those which WANT to do a change (see Planescape Tourment or System Schock 2) had not the right marketing tools at their hand. Or just not enough resources for marketing. Everyone said SS2 was awesome, and still it was not the big success one would iamgine for such a good game (and it was really good for that time). Why? Not enough people heard about it. The game made profit, but it could have reached a much biger audience with better marketing. Same for many other games that try different routes or not go the way of the mass market like usualy the games from Bethesda nowadays ...

Just downloaded and played the Witcher demo......HO...LY.....SHIT! Just the demo alone is hugely more interesting, compelling, immersive, INTELLIGENT, etc etc than F3 to me. Damn why didn't I try it sooner..... UNBEF..KINGLIEVABLE. Not only that they also apparently CARE ENOUGH that they released an enhanced edition which fixes/improves a bunch of things + ADDS a bunch of NEW dialogs & VOICE OVERS! Maybe they thought there was room for improvement and manned up. BRAVO...That's my kind of DEV. The work/quality ethic of some of these European game cos is something I applaud. I'll be going to best buy to get it ASAP. :clap:

The Witcher has a number of the issues that have been complained about regarding Fallout 3. There were also people crowing about how great Far Cry 2 was a while back... I tried it and found it epic boring.

My question here is this... were all the reviewers that were 'paid off' to like Fallout 3 lying about their mixed reactions to the DLC?

Corvin said:
My question here is this... were all the reviewers that were 'paid off' to like Fallout 3 lying about their mixed reactions to the DLC?
They saw the "Fallout" in fan reactions to the game itself and realized they better develop some "integrity" or lose their readers. Also the DLC was short enough for them to actually put in the effort and finish it.

Corvin said:
The Witcher has a number of the issues that have been complained about regarding Fallout 3.
Well since I don't have the game yet what are some of it's issues? I seriously doubt they amount to the level of issues I have with F3.

EDIT: decided to withhold my rant....The question still stands though.

It is almost staggeringly linear. The NPCs are not actually all that deep. The 'moral impact' of one's decisions doesn't ultimately matter.

Not that this has stood in the way of many of my favorite RPGs before... but all of these things have been said to matter deeply by people around here.

...and, facial animations?

It also fronts an almost horrific copy protection scheme... which Fallout 3 doesn't have.

Corvin said:
It is almost staggeringly linear. The NPCs are not actually all that deep. The 'moral impact' of one's decisions doesn't ultimately matter.

Not that this has stood in the way of many of my favorite RPGs before... but all of these things have been said to matter deeply by people around here.

It also fronts an almost horrific copy protection scheme... which Fallout 3 doesn't have.

Yeah, I played and reviewed the original version (not the re-release) and it was extremely good for short play sessions, but the loading screens, linear progression and constant back and forth missions prevented me from finishing it. I believe that the re-release fixes a lot of that and the game is really inviting and well put together but just very flawed at the time.

And dont get me started on the "sex" part... they are like achievments that pop up at the most inoportune moments, in particular I'm thinking of the witch who you can have a quicky with in the middle of what would have been a pretty dramatic scene.

Back