A new Fallout game... by Obsidian?

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Silencer, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dabrinko

Dabrinko First time out of the vault

Nov 25, 2008
    CAN WE SHOOT THINGS?!

2. Lagarto

Lagarto First time out of the vault

Oct 15, 2008
    That is the worst part, unless they seriously tweak the engine.

3. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    Ok... the real interesting question now is:

WHY?

4. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    And why are you people exactly optimistc again ?

I dont want to be the devils advocate. But honstely, guys since when does Bethesda give soem company FULL CONTROLL over their projects? Anything will either be either contractual controlled or under supervision of Bethesda/Zenimax.

What does it help, for the case it really is true, if you have either Obisidian, Interplay, Spidermen or even the holy ghost working on any Fallout project when people like for example Todd or any other guy in Bethesda and Zenimax have the finall say ? If they come to them with the idea of the best story with complex elements and the answer is just "no, we want you to make it cool [in other words: simplified]" then we will just get another project similar to Fallout 3. Just with a different setting.

*Edit
    Well they will make it easy that way. If it sucks hard (like now) they and its fans will just say "but its not a shooter!", if it is suprisingly good you will hear "even shooter fans can enjoy it, even though its not a shooter".

You see, everyone happy. Marketing solves every problem, by simply saying, that its not there. Bad shooter? Its a RPG. Not a shooter. Bad RPG? You re just hardcore. And you cant please everyone (the best answer ever ..)

5. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
  6. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    How many projects were outsourced?

None.

So shut up and wait for details.

7. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
  8. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
    Star Trek's not a Bethesda IP.

9. Public

Public Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

May 18, 2006
    Which means none?

10. Grayswandir

Grayswandir Mildly Dipped

May 9, 2008
    Arf! :D

I really am interested to see if adding some real dialogues and personalities to the npc will be enought to change the shooter experience Fallout 3 gave me...

11. zioburosky13

zioburosky13 Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 24, 2004
    5 things in my mind:
    Turn-based combat (with groin shot!), multiple choice and consequence dialog (based on player character's intelligent), combat message, multiple ending that really makes sense and isometric view. Are they coming back now? :shock:

Also, for some reason, new Vegas sounds like new reno to me. :ugly:

12. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    No but it was done under their supervision. Anything that was happening there was with their knowledge.

May I just remember you to the Star Trekk.

Soruce

13. Lagarto

Lagarto First time out of the vault

Oct 15, 2008
    Honestly im quite interested, i have no problem in saying i enjoyed some aspects in Fallout 3, mainly the whole wasteland was nicely done, the rest was poorer, however, since its obsidian and even tho its the same engine, they can work on the story, questlines, maybe some UI changes, etc, things that could make the game stronger.

14. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    with obsidian the chance is big that we will see a "Knights of the old Wasteland" or something.

15. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
  16. lugaru

lugaru Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually some of the stuff I would love to see in it has nothing to do with Fallout at all, such as XP only for completing stuff but not for killing much like VTM: BLOODLINES. Making killing non obligatory (and sometimes risky) really evened the playfield for all types of gamers.

Either way it is months away so I wont get too worked up with anticipation, at least until some screenshots come out.

17. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
    As far as I remember, Legacy was developed in house, not by a competent exterior studio.

We do not know the extent of creative control Beth will have over New Vegas. I highly doubt it'll be extensive, since MCA and company are the original Fallout developers.

18. zippy1

zippy1 First time out of the vault

Apr 16, 2009
    Clearly you never played Terminator: Future Shock.

19. Statix

Statix First time out of the vault

Jul 14, 2008
    The biggest question right here is... will the game actually be an RPG this time around and be turn-based in combat? Or will it reuse the same engine as Fallout 3 and have essentially the same 1999-era-shooter gameplay mechanics... essentially just an expansion pack of sorts?

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    No, it was Mad Doc Software, which by the way has recently been purchased and rebranded Rockstar New England.

Anyway, since it seems pretty obvious it'll use the same engine and gameplay, and since we can usually not expect much technical polish from Obsidian, there's no real reason to be hopeful there.

Better written and better designed than Fallout 3? Hells yes.