A small mindless rant on games, graphics, brainwashed drones, and Fallout.

So it makes more sense that Tiber Septim essentially terraformed the place into a basin?
Yes?

Tiber Spetim was a living god with both the power of the Thu'um and CHIM. As so famously said
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/many-headed-talos
"And after the throne of Alinor did finally break at the feet of Men, and news of it came to the Dragon Emperor in Cyrodiil, he gathered his captains and spoke to them, saying:

"'You have suffered for me to win this throne, and I see how you hate jungle. Let me show you the power of Talos Stormcrown, born of the North, where my breath is long winter. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you.'"

Tiber Septim changed Cyrodiil to reward the soldiers who fought under him because jungles are a terrible environment to live in, and no one liked it.

Yes?

Tiber Spetim was a living god with both the power of the Thu'um and CHIM. As so famously said
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/many-headed-talos

Tiber Septim changed Cyrodiil to reward the soldiers who fought under him because jungles are a terrible environment to live in, and no one liked it.

Yeah, i'm not contending that a lore reasoning for it exists.

If you actually understood the point here, rather than just hump the Imperial Library, you'd realize that people are discontent with creating a generic fantasy environment instead of a more exotic, memorable location.

If you actually understood the point here, rather than just hump the Imperial Library, you'd realize that people are discontent with creating a generic fantasy environment instead of a more exotic, memorable location.
Except nothing actually suggests it would have been more memorial.

Paraphrasing what Josh Sawyer said during the live stream "the game never made is better then the game that's shipped". It only sounds more interesting because 90% of what you imagine it to be is in your head.

An Oblivion based on the Pocket Guide would be the Oblivion we got, just with jungle trees, more of those trees, and superficial retextures of buildings to make them look more like Cloud Ruler Temple.

Things like the potato NPC appearances, the terrible radiant conversations, the whole slew of generic stiff animations, the empty as hell dungeons, the main quest, that terrible disposition mini-game, all of that would have still been the same. It would be 90% the same game.

And I honestly think you have higher standards then to be appeased by that minor of a change.

Except nothing actually suggests it would have been more memorial.

Paraphrasing what Josh Sawyer said during the live stream "the game never made is better then the game that's shipped". It only sounds more interesting because 90% of what you imagine it to be is in your head.

An Oblivion based on the Pocket Guide would be the Oblivion we got, just with jungle trees, more of those trees, and superficial retextures of buildings to make them look more like Cloud Ruler Temple.

Things like the potato NPC appearances, the terrible radiant conversations, the whole slew of generic stiff animations, the empty as hell dungeons, the main quest, that terrible disposition mini-game, all of that would have still been the same. It would be 90% the same game.

And I honestly think you have higher standards then to be appeased by that minor of a change.

It's still one spoke in a wheel full of issues. That I'm mentioning it doesn't really detract from the other problems the game had. However, for a game that basically focuses on exploration and dungeon diving, the setting is pretty important. It's far more important than potato-face NPCs.

As far as Sawyer goes, it's ok if a game has some missed opportunities and people talk about how they could have been implemented better. Bethesda as of late has prided itself on creating as many missed opportunities as they possibly can. Fallout 4 was a demonstration of that. At least the games Sawyer worked on had redeeming qualities and some level of consistency.

It's still one spoke in a wheel full of issues. That I'm mentioning it doesn't really detract from the other problems the game had. However, for a game that basically focuses on exploration and dungeon diving, the setting is pretty important. It's far more important than potato-face NPCs.

As far as Sawyer goes, it's ok if a game has some missed opportunities and people talk about how they could have been implemented better. Bethesda as of late has prided itself on creating as many missed opportunities as they possibly can. Fallout 4 was a demonstration of that. At least the games Sawyer worked on had redeeming qualities and some level of consistency.
And Oblivion was a smash hit, that people played for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and enjoyed, and is still marked as one of the highest rated RPGs of all time. Obviously they did something right.

And yet Sawyer's games are played less, and worse reviewed, then Bethesda's. Out of the "big 4" of western RPG developers(Bioware, Beth, CDPR, Obsidian) Obsidian has the lowest average game rating. And Obsidian has so constantly fumbled their projects basically no publisher wants to deal with them, and they have been forced to kickstarter to get funding. And Feargus has mentioned several times Obsidian's funding troubles. If Obsidian's games were so much better, why have they so utterly failed as a company?

And Oblivion was a smash hit, that people played for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and enjoyed, and is still marked as one of the highest rated RPGs of all time. Obviously they did something right.

And yet Sawyer's games are played less, and worse reviewed, then Bethesda's. Out of the "big 4" of western RPG developers(Bioware, Beth, CDPR, Obsidian) Obsidian has the lowest average game rating. And Obsidian has so constantly fumbled their projects basically no publisher wants to deal with them, and they have been forced to kickstarter to get funding. And Feargus has mentioned several times Obsidian's funding troubles. If Obsidian's games were so much better, why have they so utterly failed as a company?

Implying Bethesda is still an RPG developer...so what? It's no surprise that a mass-market appeal game (like what the TES series/FO series have become) perform and sell better than niche-RPG franchises/IPs.

This dribble is why people think you're an absolute shill on this forum. You can't even make the distinction between the type of game Bethesda and Obsidian produce, and you think a meta critic score of an 80+ average is just terrible. If you actually went down the list you'd see consistency in the scores they receive.

At this point I really don't know what you want anymore.

You keep asking me to show you how they do it, I did, and you just keep saying that doesn't count, and for me to show you.

Like, what do you want specifically? Because I am honestly confused.

How do I show a book in action? its a book, you just find it in the game world and read it.
While I see this as a cheap way to dodge the point (something you so eagerly point out with others), I am somewhat glad that this debate/discussion draws to a close. I want to see an example of where Skyrim (that counts DLCs) shows a meta point into the plot in a manner that doesn't occur in Morrowind (aka not books because... yeah that's really an obvious and unoriginal way)... I mean, it would be really dumb if the Dragonborn DLC also mentioned the meta-point from a person's mouth...
"And so the First Dragonborn meets the Last Dragonborn at the summit of Apocrypha. No doubt just as Hermaeus Mora intended. He is a fickle master, you know. But now I will be free of him. My time in Apocrypha is over. You are here in your full power, and thus subject to my full power. You will die. And with the power of your soul, I will return to Solstheim and be master of my own fate once again. Kruziikrel! Relonikiv! Now!"

Also, as a side note (this is not an argument, merely my thoughts and views on the subject)...
1. While it's true that the Telvanni are extremely typical hermit mages, they're unique because of their conflict with the mages guild (and whether magic should be open to all, or limited to a few) and their political/territorial control (because hermit mages usually control cities and towns, while partaking from a distance in the politics of Morrowind). Let's not forget that they have extremely cutthroat inter politics were stealing and murder is allowed (to a point).
2. Yeah, Redoran are basically a bunch of paladins BUT they're xenophobic and led by a corrupt dick. Also, they live in the husks of giant crabs. I will be honest, they're the worst House but they do have their points.
3. House Hlaalu... ah yes, my favorite house. On first glance they're the average merchant guild that's diverse and supportive of the Imperials and their reign. They're also the official rulers of Vvardenfell but behind their welcoming stance to outsiders they're run by Morrowind's fiercest Klu-Klux Crime Klan. They're also rife with corruption, and only a few, sometimes strange councilors stand in their way. Basically while they appear to be a strong, healthy house in favour of the glorious empire, they're actually a rotting husk full of infighting and idealogical opposition.

Ultimately, Morrowind may have a lot of fantasy cliches but it changes them in subtle ways that make them unique and interesting. Also yeah, I agree with @Greed. Morrowind as a game is shit, but the writing (I love the dialogue... well not the system, but it's writing) and lore is fantastic.

Last edited:
*slow clap* Congratulations! You have resorted to the one thing bethesdrones love to say to NV/Obsidian fans! Have a cookie!
Firstly, you are cimparing chickens to velociraptors.
They may have come from a relatively common place, but now they are completely different.
Bioware is doing Mass Effect: The Phantom Pain and CDPR is pretty strong on its own due to owning GOG.
Bethesda now makes shells of games that can get the maximun attention thus money and con for more money. 60$ of DLC content. Ha
While Obsidian makes games for a very specific niche and their fans of the cRPG tradition, and don't have a powerful marketing Dpt.
Where do you see the money?

And Mc Donalds sells each year hundrets of thousands of burgers to countless of people and is still marked as one of the best restaurants you can visit. Obviously they did something right.

Also, let us not ignore here that Fallout 4 is among those Fallout games with the lowest ratings so far. Just saying.

If Obsidian's games were so much better, why have they so utterly failed as a company?

A multitude of reasons?

Being buttfucked by the people giving them the rights to make games of certain IP's (Bethesda fucked over them due to a retarded fucking critic score).

Making actual RPG's. (Believe it or not, RPG's, REAL ones, aren't that marketable anymore, people just want pretty explosions and nice graphics, like the fuckwits they are)

Not having the manpower or resources to make a largescale game.

I feel that Obsidian was saddled with a shit game engine, limited timespan and overambition.
yeah, including the current unity 5. 8 gb ram for a CRPG. Even larian have better engine that is more proper as successor of infinity engine.

I feel that Obsidian was saddled with a shit game engine, limited timespan and overambition.

I feel as though the Gamebryo engine has everything you need for an FPS fallout game (NV practically got everything right, excluding maybe more damage types)

But yeah, its a shitty engine for performance.

And god damn did they have a short time to make the game, considering the scale they wanted.

I feel as though the Gamebryo engine has everything you need for an FPS fallout game (NV practically got everything right, excluding maybe more damage types)

But yeah, its a shitty engine for performance.

And god damn did they have a short time to make the game, considering the scale they wanted.

We're putting too much blame onto the engine, honestly. You could hand Bethesda a beast of an engine with all the tools they could possibly need to craft the game they need, and they'd still fuck up the optimization.

We're putting too much blame onto the engine, honestly. You could hand Bethesda a beast of an engine with all the tools they could possibly need to craft the game they need, and they'd still fuck up the optimization.

IIRC the textures in skyrim/fallout were very very uncompressed, resulting in modders making compression tools for them.

So yeah, shit optimization.

The only reason I even play Skyrim is for the Nordic setting, and I mostly ignore the plot and install a shit load of mods to make it more of a survival game.

The only reason I even play Skyrim is for the Nordic setting, and I mostly ignore the plot and install a shit load of mods to make it more of a survival game.

The only reason I play Fallout 3, is because I have Tale of Two Wastelands. XD

When you completely replace all the mechanics, ai behavior, ignore the writting and replace all the textures Skyrim is kind of enjoyable.

Back