Adapting Van Buren (Workshop - Complete on Page 30)

Yeah, this is why I thought it might be interesting if there were a choice between Sparky and the Tar Walker, but I guess you're saying it probably would be too OP with Sparky + Plug

The opposite really, Sparky would just be meat for the Sheol since his shotgun would bounce off of them. And the choice would be between plug and the tar Walker - the explosive damage of Plug versus the guidance of the walker

So all that's left is Moab, Hecate, and the Van Buren Siege right?

Indeed. I'm having a little trouble deciding what I want to do with Moab - on the one hand I have an idea regarding uranium mining and the mutant cave trogs - but also historically Moab was a very important place for crossing the Colorado River so I think some sort of trade post would work too. I also don't really know how to mcguffin Uranium mining into mutant trogs without stretching things too far but I'll cook something up.

Yeah then after that it's Hecate and the wrap up post. The Van Buren siege itself will be fairly short as a post since most of the legwork on that will be my own mega dungeon designing during the campaign - however I will also use it as a post to discuss and summarize the Prisoner 13 plot overall as well as what I believe the "canon" route is and some spitballing on potential outcomes that could result from player choices.

EDIT: in fact, I think I'm happy to just have Moab as a dungeon - uranium mines and uranium waste storage as in real life creating Trog mutant men, there for the Rebirth storyline and looting for parts.

I might do an 80s write up since I realized one of the 13s is an 80 and doing a write up is probably pretty important.

Last edited:
Indeed. I'm having a little trouble deciding what I want to do with Moab - on the one hand I have an idea regarding uranium mining and the mutant cave trogs - but also historically Moab was a very important place for crossing the Colorado River so I think some sort of trade post would work too. I also don't really know how to mcguffin Uranium mining into mutant trogs without stretching things too far but I'll cook something up.

Yeah then after that it's Hecate and the wrap up post. The Van Buren siege itself will be fairly short as a post since most of the legwork on that will be my own mega dungeon designing during the campaign - however I will also use it as a post to discuss and summarize the Prisoner 13 plot overall as well as what I believe the "canon" route is and some spitballing on potential outcomes that could result from player choices.

EDIT: in fact, I think I'm happy to just have Moab as a dungeon - uranium mines and uranium waste storage as in real life creating Trog mutant men, there for the Rebirth storyline and looting for parts.

I might do an 80s write up since I realized one of the 13s is an 80 and doing a write up is probably pretty important.
Yeah, I think having Moab as a major trading spot is sort of at odds with the extremely isolated/'innocent' picture Daniel points us to for the Dead Horses. I think that Moab should scare off most traders on account of some (largely exaggerated) radioactivity and the trogs as bogeyman, leaving the Dead Horses more or less isolated. Of course, if the players clear out the troglodytes, and it then comes to the attention of locals that the uranium contamination is far less than was thought beyond the immediate area of the mine, the Dead Horses are displaced.

Yeah, I think having Moab as a major trading spot is sort of at odds with the extremely isolated/'innocent' picture Daniel points us to for the Dead Horses. I think that Moab should scare off most traders on account of some (largely exaggerated) radioactivity and the trogs as bogeyman, leaving the Dead Horses more or less isolated. Of course, if the players clear out the troglodytes, and it then comes to the attention of locals that the uranium contamination is far less than was thought beyond the immediate area of the mine, the Dead Horses are displaced.

Daniel says the Crazy Horns and Tar Walkers were exploited by prospectors slavers and raiders. In my head canon some prospectors got the Crazy Horns to basically mine uranium for them to power fusion stuff and it poisoned them to death.

80's I think are fairly cut and dry, I might make a mini post on them due to there being a Prisoner 13 80s tribal. Hecate will be a doozy and then the finishing line.

I am overall much more happy with how this version of the Four Corners has shaped up. It's weird and wonderful and has mixed of everything despite the overall rural tribal theme.

Daniel says the Crazy Horns and Tar Walkers were exploited by prospectors slavers and raiders. In my head canon some prospectors got the Crazy Horns to basically mine uranium for them to power fusion stuff and it poisoned them to death.
As in the troglodytes are Crazy Horns? Seems a bit too unlikely, but otherwise I do like that idea. Or are you talking about an ending?

No as in my head canon is that the trogs get wiped out and later on prospectors use the crazy Horns as slave labor to mine Uranium which kills them off
Ohhh gotcha.

Funny setpiece for when the party first enters Moab: a New Canaanite missionary is standing out somewhere in the open reading aloud from his scripture, preaching. Trogs emerge from their hiding places, seemingly curious. The guy is trying to preach to them, figuring they are descended from human beings and thus must have human souls. One of them approaches him, he stops, amazed. And then of course the trog attacks him, and so do all of the others. Players get the message that these things are dangerous, and that they're beyond saving. Plus I do feel like there is sort of a running gag of New Canaanite missionaries caught in sticky situations.

Ohhh gotcha.

Funny setpiece for when the party first enters Moab: a New Canaanite missionary is standing out somewhere in the open reading aloud from his scripture, preaching. Trogs emerge from their hiding places, seemingly curious. The guy is trying to preach to them, figuring they are descended from human beings and thus must have human souls. One of them approaches him, he stops, amazed. And then of course the trog attacks him, and so do all of the others. Players get the message that these things are dangerous, and that they're beyond saving. Plus I do feel like there is sort of a running gag of New Canaanite missionaries caught in sticky situations.

There certainly is. I think learning at school about the meat grinder of British Christian missionaries in Africa must have stuck in my head somewhere..

Anyway, thoughts on the 80s idea?

What idea exactly? I thought you just said that you'd do a post. Or are you looking for some suggestions?

More that whether I should do a post at all. They're basically the most Mad Max of all the tribes, basically dressed like the Road Warrior with roadsign plating, their signature weapon being sawn-off shotguns and their lingo and culture being suitably fixated on roads, highways and vehicles. The 80s are probably my favourite fallout tribe in my own head.

My plan at the moment is having them as a straight obstacle of the player. They're hostile so the players can either wipe them out, infiltrate or whatever to get the Prison-Boy from the 80.

But I was thinking of fleshing them out into a tribal faction. But, aren't we at enough tribes by now? And what meat is there for them really? I guess they could rock and roll with them and get some sweet motorcycles. But I don't know. My friend finished his art piece for Hecate so I'm slightly itching to get to that.

More that whether I should do a post at all. They're basically the most Mad Max of all the tribes, basically dressed like the Road Warrior with roadsign plating, their signature weapon being sawn-off shotguns and their lingo and culture being suitably fixated on roads, highways and vehicles. The 80s are probably my favourite fallout tribe in my own head.

My plan at the moment is having them as a straight obstacle of the player. They're hostile so the players can either wipe them out, infiltrate or whatever to get the Prison-Boy from the 80.

But I was thinking of fleshing them out into a tribal faction. But, aren't we at enough tribes by now? And what meat is there for them really? I guess they could rock and roll with them and get some sweet motorcycles. But I don't know. My friend finished his art piece for Hecate so I'm slightly itching to get to that.
@Dayglow Drifter might be a better guy to ask, because my default is always going to be "write more." I think it's always worth it to felsh out the worldbuilding more, and especially for the 80s who I have likewise always thought seemed like an interesting group based on the enigmatic mentions of them in Honest Hearts, and they're sick ass name. Even if they are just a hostile faction, having that sort of background detail allows you to paint a fuller picture for the party and may even make substantive albeit minor differences in the way encounters play out.

But I think making them fleshed out and even interactable is interesting and worth it, even if it's not the most likely path. I don't really know what you mean by "aren't we at enough tribes," they're all distinct factions. I can think of maybe three ways to interact with them;

1) Van Buren Prison Bus. If the party has this thing and rolls up on the 80s, they will instantly respect and be open to speaking with the party.

2) Mormon Massacre. f you kill enough New Canaanites and Judahites, it would gain you some cred.

3) Ranger Killer: Wipe out the Arizona Ranger detachment. If word gets around of this, that's going to gain you tremendous respect.

Now, two of these options are fairly high level (likely beyond what players would be when they encoutner the 80s) and two are fairly unlikely outcomes, but it would be nice to have these (or others).

All that said, if you're feeling Hecate, do Hecate, or at least put the 80s off until later.

The 80s
depositphotos_54771463-stock-photo-interstate-i-80-nevada.jpg

Theme/OST:

Originally descended from biker gangs surrounding the Sacramento area, the 80s became one of the most fearsome tribes in the Great Basin and the Nevada badlands. At their peak everything from Sacramento to The Great Salt Lake was theirs. Renowned for their speed - whether through their "Choppers" - the handful of motorbikes they keep and maintain, or through their remarkable ability to move like lightning in battle.

They dress effectively identically to The Road Warrior leather outfit - but adorned with roadsign armor. Those with I-80 Roadsigns are of higher rank. They paint a solid strip of red paint horizontally across the eyes and are typically wearing desert scarves.

They use a plethora of firearms but their signature is both their sawn-off shotguns (called Dune Blasters) and their bladed boomerangs.

They form charms and sigils out of steering wheels and linked chains of Old World car-keys. Possessing one marks you as a "Bubba" - friend to the 80s.

They believe that life is a great highway journey, and the 80s are destined to be a rock and rolling band destined to conquer the Wasteland. That's the end of their road. They hold almost religious reverence for vehicle parts and back during the Road War they had several Highwaymen. They believe those who die in battle against enemies of the 80s live in a realm of battle and easy conquest - wealth, resources, sex and cars. The Eternal Highway. A post-nuclear Valhalla. Might makes right. They phrase things in the way of roads or highways "Where's your boulevard leading you, bubba."

They speak in English but have some key phrases like referring to NCR as Bears, Desert Rangers as Dusters, New Canaanites as Bookboys and idiots/morons as smegeaters.

Their views on gender are fluid. Determined by your worth as a warrior. You're either a road warrior (masculine) or a skrag (feminine). What's between your legs doesn't matter.

They cook up battle Chems to pump them in battle and send them crazy, willing to savage their enemies and die for glory.

They unfortunately lost their glory and their ancestral highway in the "Road War" where they fought the Desert Rangers, the NCR and the New Canaanites. This loss lingers like a shade, and they vow to get revenge. Though their war camp is low in number - much like the Desert Rangers one 80 is worth multiple your typical raider.

Sandcrawler's clan are a scouting war party basically just trying to earn some cred and respect for when they return to the badlands where the bulk of the tribe lives. Sandcrawler wears a juvenile Deathclaw skull as a helmet decoration, with car keys hung like a chain decoration mullet on the back

To even enter their fortified Utah warcamp, "Motown" based around an old motorbike garage, you either need a motor-sigil or they ask you to bring them tribute in the form of heads. They've been pestered by a nearby nest of White Legs. You bring their heads, and they'll reward you with New California dollars or ammo.

From there you can enter their war camp as a bubba. Their weapons market is probably one of the most flush on the map in terms of ammo. You'll find NCR gear, New Canaanite weapons and stocks of high calibre ammunition from the Desert Rangers from their conquests.

White-Liner, a Prisoner 13 is second in command to their Raid-Chief, Sandcrawler, who's leading the war party.

From there, the 80s war party have a quest-chain they'll give to prospective Bubbas.

• Raid Heartbreak Hotel: Heartbreak Hotel is a warlord fort ran by Heartbreaker, the 80s are currently at war with him. Needs inside sabotage, when the Hotel is weak the 80s will surge and begin the raid. From there everything you kill and take is yours. Should flush the players with loot.
  • Raid Jericho: Weakest of the Bookboy clans, they probably won't even fight back. The sheriff there is an old enemy from the Road War so his head has to go, but if the rest don't fight back then it's just whatever you can take.
  • Raid New Jerusalem: Stronger Bookboys. They'll put up a fight. Funner. Well protected though, needs cracking open like Heartbreak Hotel.
  • Raid A New Canaan Caravan: Bring one back alive so they can beat out of him their route plans. They'll change them when they catch wise but gives the war party a feed of the good stuff whilst they're rocking.
  • Raid Wendover: word from a Runner band out west, heard her roaring up the ancient road. Stealth mission, hide in the dunes. Waiting for Desert Rangers to turn up in a Highwayman. Difficult fight against three well armed. From there, the 80s will celebrate, take the highwayman and bid the party adieu as the party rocks back to the Badlands. White Liner will have his arm severed by Sandcrawler and give you the Prison-Boy, promising you a road band will be at Van Buren if you should need them.
Completion of this arc will leave them with "Way of the 80" - giving two free hexes of movement and +5 bonus damage with sawn-off shotguns.

@Hardboiled Android @Dayglow Drifter thoughts?

Last edited:
What's a motor sigil exactly?

Also the questline, to its credit, is very focused on combat, which makes sense since these are raiders, but maybe thrown in one or two non-essential sidequests for the skrags of the party.

What's a motor sigil exactly?

Also the questline, to its credit, is very focused on combat, which makes sense since these are raiders, but maybe thrown in one or two non-essential sidequests for the skrags of the party.

Highwayman steering wheel with key-chains hanging off of it, human skull fixed to the wheel.

As for non violent quests speaking to the market seller will immediately inform players they'll get like a 3:1 price ratio on vehicular parts there for their value.

But yes as a war party for a group that's already war like by nature, they're entirely combat focused. That being said, infiltration is an option on both heartbreak hotel and New Jerusalem and that can involve fun Speech Boy and Stealth Boy action. Opening the gates from the inside as it were.

Highwayman steering wheel with key-chains hanging off of it, human skull fixed to the wheel.

As for non violent quests speaking to the market seller will immediately inform players they'll get like a 3:1 price ratio on vehicular parts there for their value.

But yes as a war party for a group that's already war like by nature, they're entirely combat focused. That being said, infiltration is an option on both heartbreak hotel and New Jerusalem and that can involve fun Speech Boy and Stealth Boy action. Opening the gates from the inside as it were.
I ws just thinking something like "teach them how to otpimize their energy cell recylcers" or "spin a yarn for them to bring back home and inspire the 80s to greatness" or "bring back some ham radios" or something, but yeah it's not strictly necessary.

The Ouroborous of Hecate
received-1411305975898743.jpg

(Art courtesy of a friend)

OST Atmosphere:

History
The young girl Kyros was born amongst the Ouroborous Tribe of eastern Arizona. Before the war, they were a cultish commune that believed in karmic cycles. After the war, their beliefs changed: time was a flat circle, man was doomed to repeat the same mistakes and pass onto one another our suffering, where one has been another will be again, and the Great War will come about again.

Conceived through considerable ritual, Kyros was born with a destiny: she along with the tribe's chieftan, Marrow, would conceive the Time Eater. One who would end the Ouroborous of humanity and break us free of time's flat circle.

At age 13 married to Marrow of 23, they repeatedly attempted to conceive but to no effect. Marrow repeatedly abused Kyros, until at age 16 she stole a blade and stabbed him 43 times in the chest, and gouged out his eye sockets. For this murder and for dooming humanity, she was sentenced to death but escaped into the Wasteland.

Starving and alone, she eventually came to the Nursery and Diana.

When she left she did so flush with technology, knowledge, purpose and ideas. She was Kyros the wife-slave no longer, she was Hecate, the Time-Eater. She had learnt much in the way of herbalism and illusions at the Nursery.

She came across the Sidewinder tribe in the Rocky Mountains - descendants of the US Army that venerated weapons and armor. At war with several other tribes, they were losing due to starvation - the tribes had cut off their resources. At first they approached Hecate as a potential concubine - but she had a "spell" ready, expelling a blast of coloured powder in a fanciful dust cloud from her sleeve, causing the nearest Sidewinder to choke - his throat sealing. She warned the others she had many such magics - but she was here in peace.

She became the tribes shaman, healing their wounded. She led them to victory by casting "curses" poisoning enemy sources of food and hunting ground. Join her or the curses would continue - and so they did so. Using the chemical processes she had learned, she turned their enemies heads into shrunken tokens worn around the hip by her and her followers. She seduced and offered herself to the Sidewinder's chief, and together they had a child she called Sampson. She blessed the tribe with chemical concoctions that instilled fertility.

By the time the Sidewinders and her confederation of followers left the Rockies, she had gone from Shaman, to Sorceress, to Goddess. She was leading them back to Ouroborous.

She declared her return, as the Ouroborous tribesmen gathered to the gates of their commune "I am both Time Eater and Hecate. I am your Goddess and your salvation from the flat circle of time. Worship me and you will be set free."

Hecate and her followers walked in unimpeded, the few that resisted were behead and reduced to shrunken heads. What were once Temple Followers were now Sons and Daughters of Hecate.

Beliefs and Practices
14596967017_c0c3bb670a_o.jpg

The Ouroborous believe that under the Goddess Hecate they can escape the flat circle of time. The power of her sorcery means all those born under ritual of her worship are free from the chains of time and the cycle of suffering, and instead of rebirthing into the body of another upon death, they will reach the Elysian Fields. This can occur for alive followers of Hecate, but only through ardent worship and tribute - they believe this will ultimately prevent a repeat of the ultimate suffering of man - The Great War - they believe they are saving the world.

The standard recruit for a tribe under Hecate's grasp is such - a Daughter arrives with Sons and preaches the word of Hecate, scouting the situation. If they believe the tribe is ripe, they summon more daughters. They organize a great campfire which they cast their sorcery over - creating strangely coloured flames, and through usage of rings specially designed to imbue chemicals, they dose the tribals with psychedelics and ask them to look into the fire, as they fervently preach the teachings of Hecate. Feeding them further with aphrodisiac - they initiate orgy.

In the days afterwards, the deal becomes more practical. Deal tribute to Hecate through your firstborn children and resources, or incur her curse (poisoning of hunting grounds and the seeding of farmland with chemical components that cause miscarriage). Most take the deal. Those that don't are slaughtered by her Sons after a prolonged period of cursing. If they don't submit before then.

Sacrifices are regularly performed of wildlife and livestock - their blood drank by the Daughters of Hecate in ritual ceremonies.

The Sons of Hecate imbue their blades with the poison of Giant Pit Vipers - a species drawn to near extinction by Hecate's doing.

latest

Ouroborous
It has been well over 25 years since and Hecate has done little but expand to her 12 tribes. An age of stagnant worship.

Ouroborous is heavily fortified. An outside "tributary" is located outside the large junk walls where Brahmin bazaars are located - a wooden statue of Hecate at its center (a symbol of power via rare resource ala a gold statue) where each visitor must leave a trinket of value at its feet. The bazaar is overlooked by watchtowers on the walls - Sidewinders with sniper rifles.

The inside of Ouroborous proper can be divided into five distinct areas

• Temple of Hecate: A pyramid constructed of junk with an inner temple where the Daughters commune with their Goddess - who has her own inner sanctum at the peak of the pyramid with a balcony overlooking Ouroborous.
  • Realm of the Daughters: where the children are raised, herbalist sorceries perfected
  • Realm of the Sons: Where the males are raised and trained as warriors
  • Ouroborous Square: An engraved Ouroborous symbol on the ground - the center of the city. Surrounded by banners of each tribe under her grasp and naked worshippers with Ouroborous tattoos on the back endlessly in prayer and praise facing the temple. Sampson, her son wearing barely functional Sidewinder ,T-45 and wielding a flamer, can be found here as a lone sentry.
  • Temple of Pleasure: A hedonistic amphitheatre home to orgies, dances,frantic psychedelic evenings and chem abuse of all kinds.
Key NPCs of Ouroborous
  • Hecate: At this point you can't tell if she buys her own act. Entirely manic and constantly "in-act" as the sorcereress tyrant - imitating the Shakespearean flair of Diana but letting her vanity and Wasteland attitude bleed through - somewhere between a witch and a raider-queen bitch.
  • Sampson: Hecate's only son. An ego bigger than his power armor, he believes he's destined for greatness and the best warrior of Ouroborous. His stiff, malfunctioning armor may slow that somewhat. He's more a stationary flamer turret.
  • Gaia: Head of the Daughters and a Prisoner 13 - a stubborn, venom tongued, sarcastic zealot in the vein of the women of the Westboro Baptist Church. Participates in many Pleasure Temple hedonisms
Quests of Ouroborous:

• As the players arrive a dying, bloodied Daughter of Hecate will stumble through the bazaar, dying at the gates, her final words a hysterical screaming about a spy of Caesar among them. Find the spy.
  • The Sons of Hecate need more venom, go to the southern pits and commit one of the last surviving Giant Pit Vipers to death to retrieve it's venom sacks.
  • A demon has been attacking Ouroborous caravans. Follow the trail and slay it. It is an Alpha Deathclaw seperated from its tribe.
  • A Legion scout camp has been spotted. Wipe them out and bring back their uniforms.
  • Utilize the Legion uniforms to disguise yourselves at Magnum Chasma and put Hecate's sorcery to work - poisoning food supplies, leaving wooden charms and generally instilling fear
  • Raid slave caravans headed for Magnum Chasma and put a stop to them
  • Someone has been poisoned at the Pleasure Temple - no simple overdose. Untangle the web of soap opera tribe drama and uncover the killer.
  • Assassinate Caesar and bring Hecate his head.

Great music, really great ambiance.

One minor quibble: feels a little silly that it was called 'Ouroboros' pre-War and then a few centuries later someone stumbles upon a trove of Greek myth, too coincidental. Would make more sense if that was a name imposed by Hecate.

Great music, really great ambiance.

One minor quibble: feels a little silly that it was called 'Ouroboros' pre-War and then a few centuries later someone stumbles upon a trove of Greek myth, too coincidental. Would make more sense if that was a name imposed by Hecate.

It was renamed Ouroborous Post-War as their cult beliefs changed. And it's intentional. Hecate isn't Caesar - she's a parasite. She's lazy and vain, she didn't shape an empire from her own mythology, by luck and happenstance she formed this parasitic cult - Ouroborous was already ready for her and she just took over to suck it's well of blood.

It was renamed Ouroborous Post-War as their cult beliefs changed. And it's intentional. Hecate isn't Caesar - she's a parasite. She's lazy and vain, she didn't shape an empire from her own mythology, by luck and happenstance she formed this parasitic cult - Ouroborous was already ready for her and she just took over to suck it's well of blood.
But it just doesn't make sense that it would be called Ouroborous at all prior to Hecate's return. If anything it would be more reasonable pre-War since people would have easy knowledge of Greek myth, but even then it feels a little bit too coincidental. It's not like there's anything riding on it being called Ouroboros prior to Hecate. You could even save yourself the trouble of coming up with an old name by saying Hecate banned the old name of the village. Maybe she did the same for all of the settlements in her land.

Back