Adapting Van Buren (Workshop - Complete on Page 30)

rect298667.png

I finished the Colorado portion of the PDF. Not much point in uploading it but whatever the second thread is for the finished product. Mainly includes edits, cleaner formatting and some nice additions like the actual routes of escaping the Prison or new quests like the golden spike or the murder mystery at the BD theatre

Attachments

Last edited:
Here's a summary of entirely new content that will crop up in the PDF

• Crazy Horns
  • Twisted Hairs
  • Tar Walkers
  • Painted Rock
  • Hands of God's plan for retaking New Canaan
  • Utah Testing Range
  • "Underpass" a more rustic version of the Hub located in New Mexico - though this won't be stated, this is where Siri of New Vegas is taken from
  • Red Okie Horde lore
  • Revamped Fort Cochise - embracing of the Prison idea
  • New Hecate quests
  • Dune Buggy questline (Half Life 2 intensifies)
  • White Legs lore
  • Eagle Rock lore and Pablo's quest
  • Joshua Graham cameo

Also as another "worrying about GMing a campaign I haven't organized yet" I don't know how to handle the Prisoner 13 trial. It's important to introduce Uncle Sam, Red Menace and the expository lore but it feels like it would be a massively railroady monologue indulgence.

Thoughts @Dayglow Drifter ?

Also as another "worrying about GMing a campaign I haven't organized yet" I don't know how to handle the Prisoner 13 trial. It's important to introduce Uncle Sam, Red Menace and the expository lore but it feels like it would be a massively railroady monologue indulgence.

Thoughts @Dayglow Drifter ?

Possibly kind of include that as a prologue? Simply explain to the players that as captives in the Van Buren facility they already know this stuff?

Alternatively you could handle this exposition through environmental stuff, such as mentioning an Uncle Sam poster that they see on a wall or screen and explaining "you know Uncle Sam to be _______"

Finished the Utah section

Possibly kind of include that as a prologue? Simply explain to the players that as captives in the Van Buren facility they already know this stuff?

Alternatively you could handle this exposition through environmental stuff, such as mentioning an Uncle Sam poster that they see on a wall or screen and explaining "you know Uncle Sam to be _______"

Yeah I guess I'd make it part of the intro monologue. They have the trial whilst they're still under the influence from CODE. Then bang, they wake up in the slammer with full autonomy again after they've been officially "convicted".

Yeah I guess I'd make it part of the intro monologue.

Yeah I was thinking about it more today and that definitely seems like the kind of thing that would be covered in a prologue slideshow if this were part of a Fallout video game, your wrote everything out in a really informative and concise way in the PDF so honestly you probably just need a slight rewording of that most likely.

Actually come to think of it how hard would it be to just DO a slideshow as you narrate the prologue? Could be pretty cool

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking about it more today and that definitely seems like the kind of thing that would be covered in a prologue slideshow if this were part of a Fallout video game, your wrote everything out in a really informative and concise way in the PDF so honestly you probably just need a slight rewording of that most likely.

Actually come to think of it how hard would it be to just DO a slideshow as you narrate the prologue? Could be pretty cool

I don't know how expensive projectors are but if I could get a cheap little one I could actually do that. I did my best Ron perlman impression m narration on my first campaign but that was just done normally.

Is it just a mistake that Burning Springs is in Colorado? Based on the old Van Buren maps floating around, it seems like it's generally placed in East Carbon, Utah.

Is it just a mistake that Burning Springs is in Colorado? Based on the old Van Buren maps floating around, it seems like it's generally placed in East Carbon, Utah.

Nope. I moved it's location on the map. it's on the narrow highway that leads up from I-70 to Dinosaur CO sort of area. It's meant to be that way because the players get three directions leaving VB: Grand Junction, SLC and Denver. If they choose SLC they run into Burning Springs along the way.

Nope. I moved it's location on the map. it's on the narrow highway that leads up from I-70 to Dinosaur CO sort of area. It's meant to be that way because the players get three directions leaving VB: Grand Junction, SLC and Denver. If they choose SLC they run into Burning Springs along the way.
Gotcha. I figured that Burning Springs would be more of a mid-level location for after (or during) the players had one of the other three starting locations (Boulder, Denver, or SLC) under their belt, but if you're speccing it to players right out of Grand Junction than that's fair enough.

Gotcha. I figured that Burning Springs would be more of a mid-level location for after (or during) the players had one of the other three starting locations (Boulder, Denver, or SLC) under their belt, but if you're speccing it to players right out of Grand Junction than that's fair enough.

Yeah the difficulty in Burning Springs is more puzzle like. The Gehennas don't do much actual damage remember, they grab you and carry you off or mutate you. Their difficulty isn't in their skill but their invincibility to common weapons so the players have to get creative, plus stuff like the toxic fumes and trying not to collapse the pit. Plus, people like doing dungeons early on.

Arizona section uploaded. Twisted Hairs, Painted Rock, Bloomfield Space Center, smoothing the Alexandra-slave questline and reworking Fort Hope into Fort Cochise, a converted pre-war prison. Cleaned up Hecate and reworked some details.

Is there any plans to keep those of us here on No Mutants Allowed Dot Com updated with post-session reports once the game gets into full swing?

Is there any plans to keep those of us here on No Mutants Allowed Dot Com updated with post-session reports once the game gets into full swing?

I sure will, but like I said - it'll be a while. I'm in Florida right now and I'm scheduled to move to Boulder, CO in 2022 (Hilariously coincidental) and I'll likely run the game when I move to CO, primarily because I want this game to last 6 months to a year. Maybe even more, and I don't have the stability of schedule for that right now.

Idea for a Special Encounter

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...ECCwQAw#v=onepage&q=Fantasma Colorado&f=false
https://obscurban-legend.fandom.com/wiki/Fantasma_Colorado

A bizarre creature which almost no Wastelander would recognize, stranger than any mutant, with a dead rider tied to its back, covered in blood, and extremely aggressive. Not particuarly hard to kill, but persistent. If that players can somehow get it to calm down, a bewildered Centurion would doubtless accept this bizarre creature into the bestiary of the Flagstaff Arena.

Here's the complete PDF. Finished, except for the map. Once the map is complete I'll add that and make the new (final) thread for it.

Here's the complete PDF. Finished, except for the map. Once the map is complete I'll add that and make the new (final) thread for it.

There's still a series of corrections and additions that perhaps need to be made, but I assume I'll have time to get around to all of those before the map is completed.

Back