Anime

Ausdoerrt said:
Depends on your preferences really. Personally, I'd recommend Shigofumi and Kurozuka, as well as the second season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (and first if you haven't seen it, but it's from 2007). If you liked Haruhi, you might also enjoy Toradora! If you're looking for a place to get 'em try getfnsub.com or Fansub.tv

Blazerfrost said:
If you like mindgame/gambling (think Akagi) anime I'd recommend One Outs. Yes, yes I know it's a sports anime, but it's not as ridiculous as Prince of Tennis.

Thx for recommendation all of them look interesting, especially Shigofumi.

I started watching Toradora and its really fun, also for the Palmtop Tiger my cuteness meter jumps over 900 and that says a lot.

Anime is inferior to pretty much anything. It's not deep at all, yet the same bastards keep telling Neo Evangelion or whatever the fuck it's called was deep. It isn't.

Well, I watched Akira and Tank Police as a kid and loved them both even though I had no idea what they are. I think I was 8 or 9. Back then most people still thought all animation is kids only, so they let us watch some sick stuff. :P

Cowboy Bebop was cool, apart from the ending. :P
Ghost in the Shell
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Perfect Blue
Dennou Coil

Oh, besides these, most animes I've watched are just crap.

Hmm where to start, there so many good ones that have been already mentioned so ill name few that haven't.

RahXephon - great mehca anime almost as good as Evangeelion
Eureka - another good mecha anime
Bubblegum Crisis - nice cyberpunk action series with PAs
Scrapped Princess - fantasy post apoc movie
Tenchi Muyo - what can I say its classic and its damn funny and the English voice over was fantastic.

Avatar - best latest cartoon I have seen, very entertaining.

GreyViper said:
Bubblegum Crisis - nice cyberpunk action series with PAs

Your mileage may vary. This one is definitely an 80's series, and it really shows.

(Lesser known but still enjoyable is Bubblegum Crash, a continuation of the original series that catches up with the Knight Sabers a couple of years (?) later.)

Those Who Hunt Elves is one that I haven't seen mentioned here yet, much to my surprise. I don't watch too much anime anymore, but I remember this one fondly from my wide-eyed fanboy days. A mismatched group from modern Japan are accidentally transported to a fantasy world by an elven sorceress (who accompanies them as a dog) and, with the aid of a kitten whose spirit is trapped within a Sherman Tank, they must seek out the fragments of the spell that will send them all home-- by stripping naked the elven maidens on whose skin they're inscribed. (Don't worry, folks, it's all PG13... nothing to see here...)

This series simultaneously encompasses everything that is wrong with anime and everything that makes it worth watching, and you can pick the whole thing up (legit!) for less than $40. What's not to like?

marko2te said:
I started watching Toradora and its really fun, also for the Palmtop Tiger my cuteness meter jumps over 900 and that says a lot.

I dunno, imo the ToraDora story is on the simple and banal side, but as a nice and light comedy/romance it's pretty decent. And I'm pretty much with you on the Tenori Taiga, except that I'm kind of getting fed up with the overabundance of tsunderes in recent anime.

BTW nice avatar, I loved that series =) If you liked that one, also try Natsume Yuujin-Chou, it's a bit simpler but has a similar mood to it.

Gentlemen said:
Anime is inferior to pretty much anything. It's not deep at all, yet the same bastards keep telling Neo Evangelion or whatever the fuck it's called was deep. It isn't.

Well, I personally find it a more satisfying form of entertainment than most American popular TV shows or adult cartoons (except South Park). It's about preferences mostly. Although I'd take an anime over a B-rate Hollywood movie anytime. It's about the scale you measure against - even the best of anime is nowhere close to the depth of, say, Tarkovskiy's movies, but on the other hand infinitely superior to, say, Will Ferrel movies.

Gentlemen said:

Gentlemen. Depth does not depend on the medium. Watch grave of the fireflies and tell me anime can't be deep.

Ah-Teen said:
Gentlemen said:

Gentlemen. Depth does not depend on the medium. Watch grave of the fireflies and tell me anime can't be deep.

Actually, I find Grave of the Fireflies to be absolutely overrated in terms of depth. I think it's relatively simple (not to mention that I hate the movie).

THe one thing i hate about anime is the big big eyes... all the characters seem to stare at you!

I think it's just the way asians perceive white people: guys with really BIG eyes...

Ausdoerrt said:
I dunno, imo the ToraDora story is on the simple and banal side, but as a nice and light comedy/romance it's pretty decent. And I'm pretty much with you on the Tenori Taiga, except that I'm kind of getting fed up with the overabundance of tsunderes in recent anime.

ToraDora is exactly what i expect from that type of anime, a lighthearted story with bits of humor and romance and it works well. Problem is that with my experience with anime i fear that after some half of the show it will turn in a soap opera like the last show of this type i watched Welcome to N.H.K, it was fun at start but become boring later on.

Ausdoerrt said:
BTW nice avatar, I loved that series =) If you liked that one, also try Natsume Yuujin-Chou, it's a bit simpler but has a similar mood to it.

Thx, it looks interesting ill probably try it .

Ausdoerrt said:
Actually, I find Grave of the Fireflies to be absolutely overrated in terms of depth. I think it's relatively simple (not to mention that I hate the movie).

Why would you hate that, in my humble opinion, great movie?

Blakut said:
THe one thing i hate about anime is the big big eyes... all the characters seem to stare at you!

I think it's just the way asians perceive white people: guys with really BIG eyes...

I thinks that sums it all, and i would agree that i saw way too many anime with characters having annoyingly too big eyes.

marko2te said:
Blakut said:

I thinks that sums it all, and i would agree that i saw way too many anime with characters having annoyingly too big eyes.

It's actually America's fault. After we set up shop there in the '40s, the Japanese got into Mickey Mouse and co. in a very big way, and the once-heavy influence from that era of animation still shows here and there, the typical anime eyes being one very common manifestation.

marko2te said:
Ausdoerrt said:

Why would you hate that, in my humble opinion, great movie?

Well, hate may be a bit of a strong word, but I certainly disliked it. I felt like some of it was a little too forced and oh-so-teary-eyed, and I didn't the least agree with the way it dealt with the characters - I was absolutely on the side of the "evil" aunt who threw the guy out - he fcking deserved it. I hear the live-action movie is better done though, but I am yet to see it.

Blakut said:

Like someone said, I believe it partly carried over from some of the western animation. Also, it's a conventional way to represent the character - the "bad guys" are usually small-eyed, etc, so it barely has anything to do with race. Also, the only anime style that really has obnoxiously big eyes is shoujo, a lot of the other anime, especially 'historical setting' titles, have normal eyes.

Ive been meaning to give Ghost in the Shell a shot. I watched a episode one night of Stand Alone Complex I think it was. It seemed to have some interesting military/political themes that are up my alley.

No idea where to begin tho, it seems to have several different branch offs or versions.

Anime series (SAC, 2ndGIG, SSS movie) is one interpretation, that places more importance on sociopolitical issues of the fictional world. IMO SAC started off a bit too slow and dry, but it is really worth to force yourself through the first couple of eps to see the rest of it. Tachikoma mini-eps at the end of every episode are a must as well, don't miss those. And one more thing, 2ndGIG was amazing. I gulped it down in two nights.

The Mamoru Oshii's GitS movies (GitS and GitS innocence) have a very different description of pretty much every character, and the focus is more on the morality and psychological issues.

If you ask me, I like the series better, although the movies are definitely worth watching as well, as long as you keep the two storylines separate.

P.S. GitS SAC Laughing Man, and GitS SAC 2ndGIG Individual Eleven OVAs are just two specials that get rid of side-stories in the anime and compress the main storyline into two hours or so.

Ausdoerrt said:
Well, hate may be a bit of a strong word, but I certainly disliked it. I felt like some of it was a little too forced and oh-so-teary-eyed, and I didn't the least agree with the way it dealt with the characters - I was absolutely on the side of the "evil" aunt who threw the guy out - he fcking deserved it. I hear the live-action movie is better done though, but I am yet to see it.

I agree that aunt can be misunderstood since all she tries is to provide food for the whole family, and gives the majority to those who actually work and contribute to the family. The issue here is pride, pride of a child who refuse to work and feels that because he is still a child he should be pampered. This issue is reflection on Japanese pride who refused to surrender although they lost the war and their pride caused more casualties.

I didnt watch the live action film but what i heard is thats its more focused on the aunts side of story. I am interested in watching it only problem is finding it.

@Bal-Sagoth

I agree with everything Ausdoerrt said, the films are good but series are better. But I would recommend watching the films first to get a batter understanding of GitS world.

^ Well, yes, except that the film (grave of fireflies) seems to want to make you sympathise with the teenager, which is what I really dislike.

Back