Any games like Fallout?

That's true, Last of Us barely has anything in common with Fallout beyond their similarities to Vault 22.

Wasteland 2 is probably the closest thing to an Interplay-made Fallout we are going to see, but I hold out hope for more games like it. It has so many bugs and yet its the best 80 hours I have spent on a single playthrough in ever.

If you want post-apocalyptic games, the most atmospheric are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games or Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light. But their only similarity to Fallout is that they take place in post-apocalyptic styled worlds.

I haven't been following this thread so I apologise if anyone already mentioned this game before.

A friend recently told me about a promising game being made called Seven and made by people who worked for CD Projekt Red in making the Witcher 3, it might not really be a Fallout like game since the site describes it as a "Thief-inspired, 3D isometric RPG" and it is played in a "beyond post-apocalyptic environment". Hell I will just quote their full "About the Game":
Seven is a Thief-inspired, 3D isometric RPG,
in which you take on the role of a lone traveller.
You’re going to explore a nonlinear, sandbox world
- the Empire of Vetrall.

Classic isometric gameplay is going to be redefined.
We have created a parkour climbing system that
gives you the ability of free-traversing obstacles,
of any height, horizontally and vertically.

The quests take place in a "beyond post-apocalyptic"
environment created by the minds behind
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. You can expect difficult
moral choices with unforeseen consequences.
More to come soon.

Here is the link to their site so I don't just end up quoting everything in it.

There are 2 games exactly like Fallout. Were built on fallout engine. Fallout of Nevada & Olympus2207. Both of them are good almost as F2. Sadly both of them are in russian language. The second part of Olympus2207 is under develop. You can try to make an agreement with the developers to have an english translation for those projects. Then collect money on kickstarter\indiegogo.

If you want post-apocalyptic games, the most atmospheric are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games or Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light. But their only similarity to Fallout is that they take place in post-apocalyptic styled worlds.

Well, to be fair, there were people who came to Fallout 3 for the survival aspect and atmosphere only, in which case it would be wise to point them towards STALKER which did everything better. To a further extent, the online survival open-world games trend that DayZ started are plentiful, so those are viable candidates.

For the people who are looking for the original Fallouts, I guess Wasteland 2 and Underrail are their best bets. Finally, the only closest thing to Fallout: New Vegas - an open-world FPSRPG with good writing and impactful choices - would be the Deus Ex series, with the exception of the second one, Invisible War. Apart from that, not many games have done what New Vegas did - I suppose the best equivalent we could get nowadays would be having BioWare make a Far Cry game.

That's it, really. Fallout 1 and 2 hit a niche, and Fallout New Vegas hit another niche. Finding anymore decent equivalents to either one of those two niches is going to be pretty difficult.

I haven't been following this thread so I apologise if anyone already mentioned this game before.

A friend recently told me about a promising game being made called Seven and made by people who worked for CD Projekt Red in making the Witcher 3, it might not really be a Fallout like game since the site describes it as a "Thief-inspired, 3D isometric RPG" and it is played in a "beyond post-apocalyptic environment". Hell I will just quote their full "About the Game":

Here is the link to their site so I don't just end up quoting everything in it.
This looks sorta interesting. I wish there was more information available, but I guess I'll have to wait.

There are probably better suggestions here--like Underrail which looks potentially wonderful, but I can't look into them very well as I use a cell modem throttled until the 15th--but since people mentioned WASTELAND and its indie sequel, it's probably worth mentioning the Shadowrun Returns indie game from a few years ago. If it hasn't already been mentioned, but personally, I doubt it's a crime mentioning it again. It is pretty short, an indie game, it definitely has shortcomings and it all depends on what similarities you are looking for, but some people are even suggesting godforsaken Morrowind unironically while understandably digging pretty hard for ideas, anything is worth a look!

Oh oh, also, there's this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataclysm:_Dark_Days_Ahead

Not to be mistaken with:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_Eternal_Forces
(--sorry, even linking that was giddily sadistic, but I never cease to get a kick out of the fact it exists)

Last edited:
Well, there's always that one game called ATOM RPG. We're inspired by Fallout, Wasteland, and Torment, somewhat. Our setting is the post-nuclear USSR in the year 2005. I'm the lead developer, so I know :)
We're currently on Kickstarter, but a pretty big demo with 8+ hours of gameplay is already available.
It would be awesome if you'd check it out! We're already green lit on Steam, and if our Kickstarter is succesfull, we'll feature the full 48+ hour version on Steam and maybe also GOG in January.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atomrpg/atom-rpg

Link to demo:

http://files.theatomgame.com/atom.zip

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is shamelessly Fallout with a Lovecraft coat of paint on it. The folks behind know their shit too. The little details are fucking perfect.
you can recruit Lovecraft's wife as a companion

Gythol Granditti

(or)
https://gzstorm.com/freeware/gythol-granditti-the-crypt-of-darkness/

Both websites are freeware. Though the steam is improved version. I liked the older one.

About Game:
It is a short and linear, 2d top down RPG. Though you can do some quests with choices. It doesn't have much in common with Fallout 1/2, but it is inspired by fallout and is underrated, so thought I'd mention.

Controls:
Arrow Keys to move.
Enter to talk
Shift to customize charecter

i suggest you to play oblivion one of my favorite game and similar to fallout and there are also many games m like oblivion and fallout you can check them out here
Some of these games are... not like oblivion? Correct me if I'm wrong?
Red Dead Redemption. No?
Two Worlds is like oblivion but far worse. Just play it for memes.
Morrowind is the predecessor to Oblivion.
Fallout 3 isn't very good.
Fable 3 is shit.
Just Cause 2. No?
Ravensword I've never heard of, gotta check it out.

They will be bombarded with the freedom to accomplish in-game objectives as and when they desire rather than staying on the pre-intended path.
Can't tell if the article in the link above is serious because this is something Oblivion doesn't do. It tries its hardest to not give the player the freedom to tackle quest objectives in different ways by making sure objectives don't update unless you do what the game wants you to do in the way it wants.

And yes, like Mustadio said, some games are not like Oblivion in the slightest. Fable 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Just Cause 2 are in no way similar to Oblivion.

If you're fine with more clunkier games, I would recommend The Fall: Last Days of Gaia. It's a German RPG similar to Fallout, but there is an English translation available, and it's pretty decent. Definitely has that vibe going for it, especially in terms of its writing (dialogue, not the plot), which resembles Fallout 2 in a way if you're into that. It's not the best by any means, but is worth playing, as it's not very well known compared to other games of its kind. The Wasteland games, Atom RPG, and Underrail are also worth checking out, though you've probably heard from those a lot.

Back