Bethesda E3 Showcase Tonight, Stream Links

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Alleged Girl #9

Alleged Girl #9 Desert Ranger

May 18, 2015
    That sounds even worse!!

2. Wastewander

Wastewander It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 6, 2011
    Yeah, it's pretty bad, but I'm convinced that's the case. With this, and the dialogue wheel, I'm thinking of not even renting/borrowing the game.

3. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Rest of the Demo

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  4. Alleged Girl #9

May 18, 2015
    I guess I prefer having SPECIAL and no skills, to having skills and no SPECIAL, like in Skyrim.
    Still fucking terrible, though.

5. Chromevod

Chromevod Nope.

May 25, 2011
    I see... a dedicated Barter bobblehead.

6. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    If the system is like Wastewander predicts then maybe Bobbleheads will just give you a special perk.

I am just looking forward to Bug montages where the bit "The good hting about it. is that it just works" is repeated over and over.

7. Daemon Spawn

Daemon Spawn Old Warrior of the Wastes

May 15, 2003
    If skills are truly gone, then the Fallout series is dead to me. RIP

The combat looks like it was ported directly over from F3/NV. The old combat system was clunky and was terrible from a FPS perspective. They did not highlight the iron sights feature too much, which leads me to believe it's still underwhelming like it was in NV. Regarding VATS - I like it for some situations and I feel it was well-executed.

The only new faction I'm aware of is the Institute. Other than that, there is no word of new factions/enemies. Deathclaws are awesome and they need to perform a stealth kill on you at least once during the game to scare the bejesus out of you.

8. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    So I paused on the dialogue and the guy at the door says "Vault-Tec calling". The dialogue options are "Vault-Tec?", "Not Interested", "Good Morning" and "Go On". Is this supposed to be their idea of clever or deep dialogue options? What happens if you pick "Not Interested"? Obviously something will have to happen where the guy continues speaking and gives you the same next four choices: "Enough Space?", "Go Away", "Sounds Great", and "I'm Busy". Again, what happens if you choose "Go Away" or "I'm Busy"? You know what happens. You're gonna end up in the fucking Vault anyway because if you don't you die in 2077 and there's no fucking game!

Bethesda have the worst writers in the industry. Seriously. :|

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  9. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    Hey, at least it looks like you can burn down the Zepellin and the Flying ship.

10. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Don't worry about missing skills guys, they have been broken for long time anyway. Look at Lockpick skill in FNV for instance - it's basically a hard-set four step threshold without any random factor. (25/50/75/100)

11. Chromevod

Chromevod Nope.

May 25, 2011
    Rank I, and rank II in Science for energy weapon modding... they really did take the skills and turn them into perks.

12. Alleged Girl #9

May 18, 2015
    I speculate they're going to do it like Skyrim and there will be perk trees under each skill... *Sigh*

13. Gaddes

Gaddes Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 18, 2010
    So, overall I liked...

The armor and weapon crafting
    Character creation is near
    Voiced protag didn't bother me all that much
    looks fun to explore
    The Synthetic enemy looked neat and it was something original.

But....

The Brotherhood...again? Really? I got it, their popular, but man, enough is enough.
    Super Mutants...again...
    Combat? Well, it was to be expect. Complete with get in da choppa and gun down da baddies tropes.
    Not much on the story sadly.
    Probably a bunch of other stuff I'm missing

14. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    Agility does say it affects your ability to Sneak. So perhaps there's a chance of avoiding most of the combat. <_<

Yeah, probably not. >_>

15. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    Best case scenario is that the "ranks" on the science perk are achieved by upping the corresponding skill to a certain threshold and that Ranks are just for ease of understanding of the crafiting system and skill dependencies.

Well now that the Fallout Franchise is dead we can have some Kickstarter games that set out to do what the previous FO games actually did, with none of this streamlined non sense.

16. Chromevod

Chromevod Nope.

May 25, 2011
    In some ways, but they were also a factor in deciding what perks you could and couldn't take, beyond just the 25 tier thresholds... there's some merit in your argument, but still.

17. Wastewander

Wastewander It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 6, 2011
    That's initially what made me suspect they were turned into perks. Add that the Intelligence description doesn't mention them as they're what affects skills earned in each level, lack of a Skills tab in the pip-boy and there was no 3 skills tagged in the character creation, it all seemed to point toward that. Highest I've seen is Rank 4 for Gun Nut.

18. WittyUsername

WittyUsername First time out of the vault

Mar 13, 2015
    I kinda found the more interactive pipboy rather cute, if a bit pointless, but hey, i like the idea of it and will play with it.

The world building is also cool, and find that really fun -- maybe different for a Fallout game, but hey, I like builders too. Thing is, 200 years into the future, you really shouldn't HAVE to build. If it was like, I dunno, 10 years after the bombs fell, then I understand, you need to build towns, why would people be going to your town?

I hope there's justifications for that.

Now, upon thinking about it, and hearing some other arguments, I began to think if skills are REALLY needed... I mean, as far as combat goes. I get them in a turn based game. But for real time? That tends to rely on your own abilities. I guess maybe the reticle could grow smaller as you gain more skills. But in most Fallout games, including the classics, I just rather quickly got the needed ones to 100 and just kinda shrugged them off. It wasn't long before the skill points became redundant.

19. TheMaskedMan

TheMaskedMan First time out of the vault

May 23, 2008
    I notice that they didn't really talk much about "mod Support"

20. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    Skill checks are an important part of Fallout, it's not just about the combat. In New Vegas you could do a lot of tings with the skills in conversation and interacting with certain objects in quests to get around fighting and even to get better rewards. Without skills they are gonna either be percentages or non existent.