Bethesda going out of its way to ignore New Vegas

Nirv

Ghoulrilla
Has anyone else noticed the things Bethesda has done to go out of its way to ignore Fallout: New Vegas? I know New Vegas takes place on the opposite side of the country, but they seem to go out of their way not to reference it in their games and even their merchandise. They also seem to completely ignore new features added by it.

For instance, FNV introduced turbo, the chem that slows down time. In Fallout 4, jet now does this. To get the original FO3 and FNV effects of jet, you have to craft jet with flamer fuel to make 'jetfuel'. ...Why didn't they just add turbo?

Something else that is strange is that Fallout 4 has a 'survival mode', which is basically just New Vegas' hardcore mode but renamed and with a few extra features like only being able to save by sleeping in beds. Why did they rename hardcore mode? Did they need it to seem original?

This one is more minor, but Fallout 4, despite not including skills, does still include the skill bobbleheads like in Fallout 3. All the bobbleheads are based off of all the Fallout 3 skills -- this means there are Big Guns and Small Guns bobbleheads. There is no bobblehead for New Vegas' Survival skill.

This isn't just exclusive to Fallout 4 though. An example that isn't from Fallout 4 would be how Fallout Shelter includes only cameos from Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 characters; none from FO1, FO2, or FNV. The Fallout Board Game doesn't have any references to New Vegas either. You can play in five different locations only; the Capital Wasteland (FO3), the Pitt (FO3), the Commonwealth (FO4), the Island (FO4), and (albeit with an add-on that costs extra money) you can even play in New California (FO1 & FO2)! The add-on features characters from Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 as well, like Ian, Harold, and Marcus. They reference the originals before New Vegas.

It seems there are more references to New Vegas in Fallout 4's DLCs than in the base game, especially Far Harbor, which I'm pretty sure did not have all the same team members working on it; notably, I believe Far Harbor did not have Emil Pagliarulo as its writer, but I could be wrong about this.

Does anyone know of any other examples of Bethesda doing this?

Last edited:
I read in the RPGCodex forum (it even has a pic of the tweet) that Bethesda, at least the higher ups, resent New Vegas. Apparently they don't really like the fact New Vegas gets much more praise than Fallout 3 and 4.

Now, i don't know if it's completely true, but it would explain the near non-existant references to New Vegas. I mean, the Bethesda Fallouts have references up the ass to older games, so when games that came out after a particular one go out of their way to not reference it, something is up.

If you read the Mysterious Stranger Dossier in Valentine Detective Agency in 4 it also mentions every game but NV. Beth is just salty that NV is really the only Fallout they’ve published that did it right, because it wasn’t made by them.

The more I read into ZeniMax Bethesda and Obsidian with the whole Fallout: New Vegas controversy the more I understand why they did not get along you have ZeniMax and Bethesda the corporate overlords and Obsidian the creative underdog all you have to do is look at ZeniMax's board of directors and you will understand why they do the things they do.

If you read the Mysterious Stranger Dossier in Valentine Detective Agency in 4 it also mentions every game but NV. Beth is just salty that NV is really the only Fallout they’ve published that did it right, because it wasn’t made by them.
I had no idea about this until now. I found a transcript of it on the wiki in case anyone else is interested.

I read in the RPGCodex forum (it even has a pic of the tweet) that Bethesda, at least the higher ups, resent New Vegas. Apparently they don't really like the fact New Vegas gets much more praise than Fallout 3 and 4.

Now, i don't know if it's completely true, but it would explain the near non-existant references to New Vegas. I mean, the Bethesda Fallouts have references up the ass to older games, so when games that came out after a particular one go out of their way to not reference it, something is up.
Could you try to find the tweet? I haven't heard anything about this before.

If true that only shows how petty these people truly are.
Instead of thinking "Geeh why do people praise that game more than our own product? Perhaps we should look into it and take lesson from it." They are more "Goddammit, our product is superior, you should be praising that. If not for us there was no Fallout." (which of course would have been better on the long run)

Of course they ignore FNV. They sabotaged it as much as they could without making it incredibly obvious and that game was still miles ahead of anything they ever spawned that bears Fallout franchise name.

Jealousy, plain and simple. They did everything in their power to fuck Obsidian over and they still delivered a higher quality product than all of DudeNukesLMAO rolled into one.
The only time I've heard a NV reference from Bethesda is the fucking alien molepeople city underneath the Mojave that the fucking immortal magician family infobombs on you for no reason. Their pity spinoff is more of a Fallout game than anything they'll ever produce and they fucking hate it.

I didn't know the Mysterious Stranger files excluded New Vegas. I didn't know Far Harbor had New Vegas references, what were they?

I will also add that they apparently have kinda brushed off questions about New Vegas in interviews but I cannot cite the exact ones to truly claim this.

I have a more neutral stance on this. I don't think they resent New Vegas that much. I think, when they approached Obsidian with the idea of another Fallout game, everything about this game was an absolute spin-off in their minds. They didn't care if we loved it more than anything in the world. To them, this was something to sell between Fallout 3 and Skyrim. That's purely it. They didn't want to put a lot into it either. They had Obsidian use the Gamebryo engine, it had 18 (?) total months of development, it had restrictions like dialogue line count for even the DLCs, it couldn't take place before Fallout 3, and so on.

To me, it seemed like a way to keep people reminded of Bethesda and sell copies of another game at a decently low cost. Outsource it to people that know the universe, Fallout fans will likely like it, maybe even the old ones.

Sure they may have some personal resentment here and there but as a whole, I think it was purely due to the fact that they would never take New Vegas as canon into their world. They took what they wanted from 1, 2, and semi-canon sources and kept a good bit of it, discarded what they didn't want, and anything they outsourced like New Vegas was completely non-canon to them. I don't think it's a personal vendetta but just their vision with it.

Also, the biggest indicator of this to me, is that Mr. House was a well known person from MIT but isn't mentioned in the slightest by the Institute or anything found around there. To them, New Vegas never happened.

Also, the biggest indicator of this to me, is that Mr. House was a well known person from MIT but isn't mentioned in the slightest by the Institute or anything found around there. To them, New Vegas never happened.

Actually he's mentioned by one of Cabot's terminals as one of the brightest minds on CIT.

I didn't know Far Harbor had New Vegas references, what were they?

One of the characters in "Brain Dead" is an actress that mentions that she lost her role in "Love sets sail" to Vera Keyes.

Actually he's mentioned by one of Cabot's terminals as one of the brightest minds on CIT.
Oh, okay, nice. Weird that they decided to not include anything about him with the Institute.
Thanks for the reply about where there's any reference in Far Harbor!

Well, Cabot did mention an alien city under the Mojave. Do we really want more stuff like that?

Well, Cabot did mention an alien city under the Mojave. Do we really want more stuff like that?
Not necessarily, especially random silly stuff like that. I remember that but I don't care for it as a reference to New Vegas, the Mojave is still there whether or not New Vegas happened.

It's more of an observation for me. They can do what they want with Fallout as far as I currently care. After Fallout 4 I have no sliver of hope that I'll see them release something I'd want in the spirit of a Fallout game.

I can promise you that Obsidian Entertainment will never get their hands on the Fallout IP again. They managed to produce an objectively better game in a year that is still played today.

Not to mention FNV actually galvanized the modders to produce some legitimately good stuff compared to what they made for Bethesda titles.

Obsidian Entertainment is competition for Bethesda now, they won't be shaking hands any time soon. Plus Bethesda doesn't like bringing up FNV due to the licensing contract between them and Obsidian Entertainment. They know it was an unfair contract, and with how money moves around I'm sure someone with some decent hacking skill can find the paper trail to meta critic somewhere...

I don't know who the manchild is you're speaking of exactly but if you mean Todd Howard, apparently he and MCA were at the same college at the same time. I don't know if that's true but I've seen it noted somewhere before.

Also, MCA was very nice towards Pete Hines on Twitter. I think he maintains a friendly attitude and relationship with them in general. I've only ever seen one of his tweets be anything less than nice towards Bethesda and that was with the Canvas bags I believe.

Also, MCA was very nice towards Pete Hines on Twitter. I think he maintains a friendly attitude and relationship with them in general.
Possibly so, but we can never truly know, because they are in the same business, and it's very bad business to burn your bridges; you never know who all will be involved in your future projects.

[* Yeah, he's burned as few bridges though...]

Good for him. :)

That's wonderful how they can use that, and not be infringing on anything; still getting their message across. Come to think of it, they did the same thing with Fallout itself; "Remember Wasteland?".

That was the one time I was actually thinking of the being less than nice to Bethesda. There still may be a tweet about the canvas bag fiasco. I'm not sure. But he has definitely told people to essentially fuck off of Pete Hines. Like Gizmo said, they're in the same business and he shouldn't burn bridges. I wouldn't and while I outright show distaste for Bethesda's Fallouts in general and a lot of their recent decisions, I don't think I've ever said anything too distasteful about them. I dislike what they do but I understand some of what they do and why as well.

Big companies aren't going to make the sweet artistic worlds I want unless they are console exclusives that have the privilege of not having to push extra monetization because they're console sellers.

Back