"Bethesda presents...Oblivion 2"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oblivion was a guilty pleasure of mine. It was much worse than Morrowind (the only one of the older TES I've played) and I could make a long list of things that sucked BAD about the game, but it provided a few great moments that were worth the price of admission for me, like riding your horse over the hill and seeing a town in the horizon, stumbling upon a quiet settlement in the forest at night... Oblivion 2 can't fuck up things like that, even if it doesn't improve any of the already fucked up things in Oblivion so I'll probably get it anyway.

Having said that, I absolutely hated Fallout 3, to the point where I think NMA's review was actrually too generous, which is weird since it's pretty much Oblivion with snot smeared all over it.

EDIT:

Oh, I almost forgot

flame_suit.jpg

Every now and then I play Oblivion to.
As long as they don't muck up Argonians again I'll be fine with 2. :P

Being a TES fan before a glittering gem of hatred, I can honestly say I hated Oblivion more than I can ever hate FO3. Not saying much though, as I don't touch either of them anymore...

Faceless_Stranger said:
Being a TES fan before a glittering gem of hatred, I can honestly say I hated Oblivion more than I can ever hate FO3. Not saying much though, as I don't touch either of them anymore...

Same here... Morrowind is, IMO, one of the best RPG's ever created. Oblivion was a complete shit show...

I'm glad that the current Beth won't be making Morrowind 2... that glorious province will live on in my memory as awesome.

Cyrodil... not so much.

I would have liked to have headed north for the next TES game though... To the Nord homeland.

Oh crap, secretly I hoped for the next TES game to be good again. I absolutely loved Morrowind and Daggerfall and I was brutally disappointed by Oblivion.
And yeah, Skyrim would be cool, the Nords were always my favourite.
But now I don't want to see this game at all.

You can get stuck in a seem in the starting dock of Morrowind which was indicative of how the rest of the game was going to go for me. When you make a sandbox game you should try to make sure that your engine doesn't have issues with seems... After getting caught in a number of seems in like 10 hours, I gave up on the game. A couple of my friends had the exact same experience and reaction (they are Daggerfall fans).

I didn't try Daggerfall until a couple of years ago and it didn't draw me in enough to get past how poorly it's aged (controls, interface, and, least importantly, graphically). I'd love to try Daggerfall with a modern control scheme and interface but I doubt Bethesda is going to remake it anytime soon.

I don't see how it really matters, I look at the trend of TES and see the past two games removing features present in their predecessor and mocking the fans who complain about it.

As a side note, I think that the TES experience system of having to use a skill in order to improve it is complete shit. It's a system which sounds good but doesn't work in practice, especially when you have skills associated with movement (jumping, running, falling, etc.).

UncannyGarlic said:
After getting caught in a number of seems in like 10 hours, I gave up on the game. A couple of my friends had the exact same experience and reaction (they are Daggerfall fans).

:?

Dagerfall was over ambitius for me, thay did tried to deliver huge complex world but achieved only big mountain of bugs. Pitty. Morrowind's simplifactions made it playable it still have enough meat on bones to deliver proper sandbox and intresting story. Even raising skills asociating with movement was satisfing; I hate when my ex con from Oblivion is able to run without breaking a sweat throu entire country (prisoner then didn't had a gym acces); In fact training all of the skills and level raising was made pointless with leveling loot and npcs. Oblivion and unfortunetly NV combat is so easy that's no longer a fun to play. NV has atleast good story, dialogue, and great C&C (the last one was sadly largly missing from MW), Oblivion has only great then grafix and imursion all great for 10 years old.

Yeah, Daggerfall was too big for its time.
The size called for extreme amounts of randomization, which made dungeon crawls extremely long and tedious. Unfortunately, most quests needed a dungeon crawl.
I liked the gameplay, though. The use of skill rolls for everything was very close to a p&p game.
In the end, it was too big and repetitive.
Sadly, now that the hardware could actually run a game of that size, we probably won't see a RPG with that kind of complexity anymore.
Morrowind was nice, it simplified parts of the gameplay to make the game more accessable without making it too simple.
Oblivion took the wrong way. They simplified everything even more to make it impossible to get any frustrating moments or any challenge.
So, if we take that and make a linear fit, "Oblivion 2" will be controlled with exactly one button, have no skills whatsoever and godmode activated by default.
But it will look nice.

Lexx said:
the story is finalized and all the dialogue is written.

Can not be that much. :p

The story? Did Oblivion contain a story? Oh, you mean that little pile of shite involving some cross-dressers, a facsist party without a leader and some illegal immigrants from another worlds.

The dialogue? Did Oblivion contain dialogue? Oh, you mean those heavily armed orcs keeping monologues in pairs, where both just repeat "I saw a mudcrab the other day. Terrible creatures" with a girly voice that still haunts me in my dreams.

Of course it all could be better in Oblivin 2... NAH!

Lexx said:

* a hypothetical comedy situation *

One day at Zenimax Bethesda's offices.
Emil "Dammit, I lost my napkin from lunch with my scribbles."

IGN news " TES Oblivion 2 main storyline script possibly on the streets already!"

I have fond memories of Morrowind but was very annoyed by the leveling/skills system and the rather monotone game world. Oblivion felt more polished in these areas, but the story, setting and gameplay was just horrible compared to Morrowind. I did get some enjoyment out of it however and I've been somewhat curious about where they'd take the franchise with the next installment. simply making a sequel to Oblivion sounds like a horrible idea unfortunately. what does keep me interested is the hope that they're using a new game engine and that they're at least introducing some sort of dialogue trees a la Fallout 3. one of my biggest problems with Oblivion was the complete lack of depth in roleplaying. if we at least get proper dialogue, even with shorter phrases, it will be a massive step in the right direction. but knowing Bethesda's skills in writing dialogue (or lack thereof) isn't exactly leaving me hopeful.

Puokki said:
Lexx said:

The story? Did Oblivion contain a story? Oh, you mean that little pile of shite involving some cross-dressers, a facsist party without a leader and some illegal immigrants from another worlds.

The dialogue? Did Oblivion contain dialogue? Oh, you mean those heavily armed orcs keeping monologues in pairs, where both just repeat "I saw a mudcrab the other day. Terrible creatures" with a girly voice that still haunts me in my dreams.

Of course it all could be better in Oblivin 2... NAH!

+1. Also, /cry

I agree with rcorporon completely, Morrowind is great and is still one of my favorite games of all time, and Oblivion was indeed SHIT compared to it (although it still had some very enjoyable moments for me, which were mostly due to the type of game it was, not to how good of a game it was).

However, I do also agree with garlic: the game was freaking broken. I cannot imagine playing it without the dev console. I'm actually curious if anyone has been able to finish it on xbox because I had to type those commands in all the freaking time, like it was a part of the game.

Also, the main theme in Morrowind was among the best ever created.

EDIT

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM[/youtube]

Hm, I never had much trouble with Morrowind. Well, some are lucky, some are not. On my old machine, it crashed often, though. But Oblivion was even worse for some reason.

I copied the wrong link, sorry forgot to check it before posting. It should work now. But for the case it doesnt I meant this review from the codex here

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

Its as said pretty much one of the most honest oppions about Oblivoin you will get out there. Very clever written. And funny at times.

*Maybe it was so honest that it eventualy has lead to the ban of the codex on any Bethesda forum ...but ... thats very close to cross side trolling (or something like that), so I will leave it to that :shock:

You know, I think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill here. Reading the actual rumor. . . all that's really stated is that the game will involve the Blades, and it will be a "sequel." Except every game since Daggerfall involved the Blades, and every game since the first has been a sequel.

There doesn't seem to be anything that actually says, or even really implies, the game takes place in Cyrodiil or stars the same character. Especially since there are other rumors pointing towards it taking place in Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back