Bethesda's Lore Recons

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by arcticflocky, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Would have been better if Maxson was actually worried about his duty and made up shit to seem powerful.

2. Someguy37

Someguy37 Mildly Dipped

Nov 18, 2015
    I have no idea why you would think Tactics is non-canon when it was mentioned to be canon as far back as the Fallout bibles, and was directly mentioned in Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, and indirectly by Caesar in NV.

The Prydwen is a giant balloon waiting to pop. It has zero means to defend itself, and its even mentioned that several of Maxson's higher up have told him its a bad idea to leave the Prydwen anchored to one spot, because of how much a giant target it is. It really would't be that hard for the NCR to blow it up with all their tech.

Attempting to move it to the west would also be a giant risk as the Prydwen cant store enough supplies for the trip. There's a series of repeatable quests for the BoS where you are sent to "recruit" local farms into giving parts of their crops to the BoS, because the BoS don't have enough food on the Prydwen itself to sustain the campaign, and Boston is only 400 miles from D.C., Vegas is over 2000 miles away.

And there is also the fact that the Prydwen can't carry the entire eastern chapter, and even if it could, moving it to the west would only result in the BoS's inevitable loss since they would be outnumbered 20 to 1 by the NCR, the same thing that made the West Coast BoS lose against the NCR, despite all of their tech.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    The possibilities here are infinite. They could've portrayed him as a young, well meaning but inexperienced and misguided leader, who cares about his men, but is yet to reach a good level of competency, almost forced to take up the mantle after the previous leaders have died in battle. He could rely on help of advisers and enforcers, only having nominal power. He could have some doubts about the way he leads the chapter, maybe nor entirely sure if what he does is the right thing. But nope, he is as bland as he could possibly be, I'm a tough grisly guy, I'm the absolute best at everything I do, everyone loves me more than their own mothers and what I say is the law. Boring as hell, completely no substance or nuance.

And the way he treated Danse after the revelation was just plain ridiculous. I have saved the game right before I made the decision to save or kill him, just to check what's gonna happen. Let's just say I was extremely disappointed.

FoT is, as far as I now, partially canon. Something about it being canon save for the Calculator and the beast Lords.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  4. Someguy37

Someguy37 Mildly Dipped

Nov 18, 2015
    The only thing Bethesda has said on the matter is that Tactics is canon "at its highest level events". They have never specifically said any part of it is non-canon.

And given that The Calculator was the KEY enemy in the third act of the game, I doubt its non-canon, especially when the assaultrons in Fo4 look like more 50's scifi versions of the humanoid roots from Tactics.

5. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Imagine, Maxson being tough and grizzly all an act and with a high perception you can notice that.

6. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    [Yes] I really wish it was like this
    [No] Nah, things like this only stir up trouble
    [Sarcasm] You mean like... A SKILL CHECK?! Oh, no, we're having none of that! Too complex!
    [Question] Non-charisma skill checks are a thing?

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  7. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Hehehe, great stuff.

8. SaucyLad

SaucyLad Stuck in a Fridge

Nov 20, 2015
    I know you're joking but I actually did find a non-CHA check in game. On the USS Constitution there's a few INT checks for repairing stuff. However even they are badly designed they only require INT 3/5..

9. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Yeah that's pretty bad.

10. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    Well, I meant dialogue checks, but yes, I remember those. Too bad the only difference those made was whether you will have to do the legwork or magically fix the machinery on the spot. It's something, I guess.

11. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Perhaps modders will fix it?

12. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    I don't want modders to fix it, because it means that Bethesda can get away with everything. I want those lazy bastards to get creative and finally make a good RPG.

13. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake up buddy! It ain't going to happen!

14. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    I want to believe!
    No seriously, maybe, just maybe, after this disaster that Fallout 4 is they will realize that something is amiss. Of course being Bethesda, they won't know what exactly is wrong, but maybe they will realize it's not as great as their fanboys tend to say.

15. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Are you kidding? Look at Todd and Pete who still defend Fallout 4.

16. Askorti

Askorti HATE NEWSPAPERS

Jun 30, 2015
    That much is to be expected, it would hit the sales if developers/PR people said that their game sucks. But they may be taking notes.. This time... They should've taken notes after FNV, but I guess they didn't quite get it.

17. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    They ignored Fallout New Vegas basically.

18. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Because Bethesda threw more $ at Interplay, obviously. They always made more money than Troika, even before the SKyrim gold mine.

19. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    No, they aren't. For one, the high concentration of civilians and the need to keep a facade can create unforeseen complications. For another, YOU CAN'T REPLENISH YOUR STOCK OF GUINEA PIGS. Are you seriously telling me that, if all you need is human beings to inject with something, the better option is to build superexpensive Vaults that can operate only when you the world is gone to hell rather than a normal base in the middle of nowhere with POWs sent there whenever you need them?

Remember Vault 87? They weren't obtaining the results they were aiming for and were killing so many vault dwellers that people eventually noticed which led to uprising and eventually supermutants running the asylum. But even if the latter didn't happen what they were going to do? "Oh, well. No results and 90% of the inhabitants of the vault are dead. End of the experiment." Or, if the bombs hadn't fall yet, they were going to reopen the vault and allow other people in? "We told you Vault 87 was full? Well, uhm...actually there's a lot of space. What? Your cousin entered the vault and he told you it was full? Er...".

"Far better for controlled experiments", right.

20. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Mariposa used prisoners for their experiments. Seemd to work just fine for them. Well up to point when the apocalypse started of course.