BioShock in for a bumpy release

Perhaps I'm just the type of person, that when this amount of "outrage" is exhibited, that I don't need to be told explicitly that a problem is being worked on. I see an acknowledgement from 2KElizabeth on activation issues, I see Ken Levine addressing the Wide screen problem, I see the phone number snafu (this is sloppy, I agree). To me, this indicates that they are reading the forum, and are deciding what to do.

I also think that there is going to have to decide on what exactly needs to be done regarding SecureRom.

Granted, mistakes have been made, but the amount of ANGER is what blows me away. You've got people that were stroking 2K a day before the game released now wanting to torch the place.

And again, class action law suits? Come on. I doubt most of the people could get involved without Mommy and Daddy letting them.

Makagulfazel said:
The DRM stuff is beyond retarded. They should have chosen Bethesda's path(Who'd imagine they'd do something right?) and left the activation/CD-Key shit out. All that stuff does is piss off the PC fanbase - fucking retards.
Did people on official forums confront them on that?

Mikael Grizzly said:
The DRM crap is getting more and more annoying.

Especially the fucking spyware our demo rig got.
Where can I write to them that I won't buy their game because of the DRM shit?

Sorrow said:
Makagulfazel said:
The DRM stuff is beyond retarded. They should have chosen Bethesda's path(Who'd imagine they'd do something right?) and left the activation/CD-Key shit out. All that stuff does is piss off the PC fanbase - fucking retards.
Did people on official forums confront them on that?

Mikael Grizzly said:
The DRM crap is getting more and more annoying.

Especially the fucking spyware our demo rig got.
Where can I write to them that I won't buy their game because of the DRM shit?

http://2kgames.com/about.shtml
here maybe?

I didn't have a single issue with the game except that it was too short.

I downloaded and installed the new Nvida 7 series driver and found no bugs whatsoever.

(7600 GT OC SLI)

Don't think it's been mentioned, but the SM 2.0 fan patch is grounded due to the DRM now. Seemingly if you alter any of the major files the game refuses to load as securom 'protects' them all. Until it's removed (or circumvented) I don't think there will be much progress on that front :(

Nim82 said:
Don't think it's been mentioned, but the SM 2.0 fan patch is grounded due to the DRM now. Seemingly if you alter any of the major files the game refuses to load as securom 'protects' them all. Until it's removed (or circumvented) I don't think there will be much progress on that front :(
How lame. It's a great game that I'd like to play, but with all this crap going on I'll definitely be holding off on buying it until (if?) these problems are resolved.

Sander said:
Yes, that's it. You have no reason to feel burned whatsoever. It says very clearly, everywhere, *requires* Shader Model 3.0. If you don't have that, then you can't run that. It's your own fault, and not 2K's in any way whatsoever.

It actually does not say "Requires Shader Model 3.0" on the physical game box itself. I'm not sure where else this information may be posted. Either way, one should not have to look at multiple locations for that information.

The box states DX 9.0c compliant, or higher. Then as a rough guide says '6600 or x1300 or better' - Nowhere does it state 'SM 3.0 is needed' - many high end SM 2.0 cards are considered vastly better than those noted, my 9800 runs circles around my friends x1300.

They should've put it on the front (on a big red sticker) and made all the online stores aware of it's special requirement, really. I got mine from Game(UK), they didn't even have the specs when I ordered. Most reviews didn't mention it, infact the only place it seems to have been mentioned in any detail is on the forums... even ATi seem confused, they have released a 'Bioshock hotfix' and note it as being vital for users of x800/9xxx series cards (as well as their SM 3.0 range).

I can see this being one of the most returned/refunded games this side of Doom-3.

st0lve said:
How can a game with this many flaws get no scores under 90?
Taking in account how ruthless has to be a distributor to use DRM, I suspect that these reviews aren't very credible :) .
Nim82 said:
I can see this being one of the most returned/refunded games this side of Doom-3.
I hope :) .

I hate to say this but...

I've always held a skeptical view towards all of the previews, hype, and fan chatter not to mention all the flashy teasers that were released most likely running on the x-box build. I'm not one bit surprised by this rocky release, and glad I didn't invest any of my anticipation or anxiety over this game. Not to say that I don't find the setting and plot interesting but to tell you the truth, it looked like a generic shooter with a half decent setting and no online play on top of that(right?).. That spells something I would not consider wasting space on my HD... Again.. glad I didn't have any sleepless nights over this one. :clap:

Back