Bioware/Victory Games C&C: Generals 2

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Hello all,

Recently Bioware announced that it was working on a new game that was not part of any established franchise of theirs and possibly the start of a whole new one.

Speculation of course started when people heard that.
As Bioware has a trend of making games based on popular genres and well stereotypes at the moment; generic fantasy in Dragon Age, and generic science fiction/space opera like Star Wars and Star Trek in mass Effect, its pretty much assumed that the new franchise will probably take its inspirations from something that is also popular right now.

My own bet to be honest was cyberpunk as that got a revitalization with Deus Ex Human Revolution.

A screenshot is now released of Bioware's new game, its probably also on other game sites but I found this one on a Dutch site called Inside gamer.

1320732498.jpg

Can be wrong of course but I think Bioware's new game might be PA based, using elements of Mad Max like ridiculous armed cars.

Other possibility could be some kind of game in Africa (its quite possible we are looking at guerrillas here with modified trucks).

Or possibly some kind of Borderlands/Rage like game. (which would make it PA again, or PA/science fiction)

A postapocalyptic setting is, where the money is, so ofcourse they're going down that road - even though to me it looks rather like a game set in the middle east (remember they want to get the CoD crowd aswell).

This picture looks rather like a concept art screen, not an actual ingame screenshot.

In any case, it's BioWare, so I am not even remotely interested.

That image is watermarked Game Informer, dude. Can you guess where it's from?

PA was my first guess too, or a desert-based adventure game.

As far as I it's a spinoff studio making it too so like you'd expect after the EA purchase. People are going to fall for this "BioWare title" hook line and sinker even if no BioWare people are involved, which is well possible, as well as it for being an FPS/TPS with RPG elements. I'd be surprised if it's a real, solid new BioWare RPG franchise.

Surf Solar said:
even though to me it looks rather like a game set in the middle east (remember they want to get the CoD crowd aswell).

What has CoD to do with the middle east?

Pretty sure it's some post-apocalyptic stuff. The image itself looks rather generic to me. Could be from Rage too, or a desert racer game, somehow. I have big doubts about this getting more rpg elements than maybe a few stats and skill upgrades.

Lexx said:
Surf Solar said:
even though to me it looks rather like a game set in the middle east (remember they want to get the CoD crowd aswell).

There are lots of "kool missions in some sand country lol where I can shewt some terrorist guys with turbans, suicide bombers'n shit while fighting with modern army equipment lol" missions in Call of Duty or other games copying exactly the same setting - because it has a huge audience of people wanting exactly that.

Not sure what's so hard to grasp there.

Brother None said:
That image is watermarked Game Informer, dude. Can you guess where it's from?

PA was my first guess too, or a desert-based adventure game.

As far as I it's a spinoff studio making it too so like you'd expect after the EA purchase. People are going to fall for this "BioWare title" hook line and sinker even if no BioWare people are involved, which is well possible, as well as it for being an FPS/TPS with RPG elements. I'd be surprised if it's a real, solid new BioWare RPG franchise.

Truth be told, I really didn't take notice of the watermark, I just linked it from the last place where I saw it.

Hmm, a Desert adventure might be nice, something like a spy or political game?

So this is made by a complete different studio, I really did not know that.
Guess I fell for the 'overhead name' mistake again; a minor studio releasing something through a larger well known studio.

Surf Solar said:
Lexx said:
Surf Solar said:

There are lots of "kool missions in some sand country lol where I can shewt some terrorist guys with turbans, suicide bombers'n shit while fighting with modern army equipment lol" missions in Call of Duty or other games copying exactly the same setting - because it has a huge audience of people wanting exactly that.

I played the last two CoD games and I don't remember anything of that.

Bioware is like 4 studios right now. Edmonton is the ''traditional'' one and has made everything from Baldur's Gate to the single-player of ME3. Montréal makes the multiplayer of ME3. Bioware Mythic makes that Warhammer MMORPG, and there's a fourth studio I don't recall, they must make this new game/franchise/whatisit. I doubt it will come from Bioware Edmonton, they still have ME3 and it's DLCs to cook up (albeit Montréal made the Arrival DLC, so maybe the job is theirs from now on, I hope not it was easily the worst of the lot).

EDIT: Also, can this ''we want the Call of Duty audience'' thing die already? Of course they do, everyone does. it's the biggest franchise of all time. Setting a game in a desert doesn't mean they are copying CoD. It's not like Mass Effect went first-person shooter with you killing Russians nuking/invading the US either.

Lexx said:
Surf Solar said:
Lexx said:
Surf Solar said:

I played the last two CoD games and I don't remember anything of that.

830px-Chatintroops.png

830px-Chab1door.png

830px-BogZpu6_5.jpg

0.jpg

:?

Ilosar said:
Bioware is like 4 studios right now. Edmonton is the ''traditional'' one and has made everything from Baldur's Gate to the single-player of ME3. Montréal makes the multiplayer of ME3. Bioware Mythic makes that Warhammer MMORPG, and there's a fourth studio I don't recall, they must make this new game/franchise/whatisit. I doubt it will come from Bioware Edmonton, they still have ME3 and it's DLCs to cook up (albeit Montréal made the Arrival DLC, so maybe the job is theirs from now on, I hope not it was easily the worst of the lot).

EDIT: Also, can this ''we want the Call of Duty audience'' thing die already? Of course they do, everyone does. it's the biggest franchise of all time. Setting a game in a desert doesn't mean they are copying CoD. It's not like Mass Effect went first-person shooter with you killing Russians nuking/invading the US either.

I think you are referring to Bioware Austin. However, this part of Bioware is responsible for the Star Wars MMO so there may be a fifth Bioware studio?

well I guess Biowhare is serious monkey business today.

Cant say I have been really interested in any Bio game for the last 5 years or so. I mean not really bad games. But rather generic.

The first Dragon Age was good, but they lost me with the sequel. Seemed more like an Adventure game instead of a RPG.

Looks like Borderlands with a different art style to me. Besides that, after Dragon Age 2 I'm reluctant to by anything from Bioware ever again.

EDIT - I was meaning the pic in the OP.

There was nothing wrong with the phrasing. He pointed out that you made it sound like it could still be part of some franchise -- just not their own (Bioware's).

The Dutch Ghost said:
Not a native English speaker remember?

It has been confirmed as Command and Conquer Generals 2.

It's tricky wording that is supposed to generate hype as all new material. However it's just a new franchise for Bioware. They imply something new, when it's just another rehashing franchise.

Back